PDA

View Full Version : Sofa Table Bookcase

Dave Avery
01-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

Attached below are 2 shots of Katherine's Christmas present, a shaker style sofa table bookcase. This is my first piece of furniture made using a plan - Woodsmith issue # 140. With the exception of one .......ahhhh...... alteration, it's faithful to the plan. The table is 6' wide, 18" deep, and 30" high.

The structural elements are made from cherry. The panels on the sides, shelves, and the table top are made from extremely intense curly maple veneer over an MDF substrate banded with cherry. As you can see, Katherine has already loaded it up, but mostly with woodworking books and my collection of autographed Tom Clancy novels.

The finish is 4 coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal gloss wipe-on oil/varnish buffed using the Beall compunds/wax with my Festool Rotex unit. In case you can't tell, my Festool sander and vac are - by far - my favorite tools. Hope you enjoy viewing. Dave.

Hope you enjoy looking. Dave.

Dick Parr
01-04-2004, 12:52 PM
As with everything you make and post Dave, it is very beautiful. I love the veneer’s you use. I guess that is the joy of owning a vacuum press.

Terry Hatfield
01-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Dave,

Ohhhh...ahh......Very cool!!! Love the contrasting woods. The maple is spectacular. Good job!!

Terry

Todd Burch
01-04-2004, 1:32 PM
Nice job Dave! I like the arches on the bottom rails too. Are the shelf areas open on the back too? I suspect they are.

Jim Becker
01-04-2004, 1:57 PM
When it rains, it pours...yet another outstanding piece, Mr. Dave! That veneer is awesome stuff!

James Carpenter
01-04-2004, 2:20 PM
and i mean that in the best sense possible. I know furniture is supposed to be used once its completed, but some pieces deserve to just be admired. Beautiful job.

Mark Singer
01-04-2004, 3:14 PM
Dave,
Nice simple design and great execution!
Mark

Tom Sweeney
01-04-2004, 3:35 PM
Terry's right - OOHH -- AHHH! That's a seriously gorgeous piece of furniture. Timeless design & outstanding wood combination - I give it a

Dave Avery
01-04-2004, 5:11 PM
Thanks (again:)) guys for the kind words......

Todd,

You have an excellent eye in addition to talented hands. The curves at the bottom of the sides and the front face frame are a nice effect, bit a PITA too. I'm not that very experienced with a band saw, don't have an OSS, and my drill press is a benchtop cheapie.

On to your question.... no, the shelves don't go all the way back. The design of the thing is a little wierd - basically face frames front and rear that are dadoed into the side panels. As such, and with a frame and panel back, there's about 1/2 of dead space in the back. Given the height of the unit, however, you really can't see it, even when it's empty.

Dave.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-04-2004, 6:26 PM
Fantastic!! LOML said we could put something like that right. . . .
She might be right. Very good work. :)

Bob Lasley
01-04-2004, 7:07 PM
Dave,

Absolutely stunning!

Bob

John Miliunas
01-04-2004, 7:27 PM
You out-done yourself, Dave! Beautiful woods and excellent execution and that would be an understatement! Vacuum bag for the veneers, I presume? To repeat Bob, simply stunning! Thanks for setting yet another goal for some of us newbies. :cool:

chris toomey
01-05-2004, 7:15 PM
that's beautiful dave. you do nice work.

Dave Avery
01-05-2004, 8:46 PM
Thanks again, guys. Yes John, I have the small vacupress unit. Really a neat tool. Dave.

Bruce Page
01-05-2004, 9:58 PM
Wow! How’d I miss this?? That is a beautiful sofa table Dave. That awesome curly maple veneer is intensely nice!

Jason Tuinstra
01-06-2004, 9:54 AM
Dave,

Great table!!! I remembering seeing this table in Woodsmith. You did a great job with it. I love the look of cherry and maple together. You pulled it off perfectly. I'm sure you wife loves it. Thanks for sharing. Jason

Byron Trantham
01-06-2004, 1:10 PM
Well Dave, it looks like you have proved that "expensive" aren't necessary to create very beautiful work. As some have said here, "It ain't the tool, it's the man behind it!" :p

Very nice work.

Lars Thomas
01-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Not much to add that hasn't already been said. . . beautiful work. One question - what kind of flooring do you have there? It almost looks like cork.

John Scarpa
01-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Dave,
WOW! Really nice work. Love the veener,
John

Dave Avery
01-07-2004, 8:12 AM
Thanks (again) guys.....

Lars,

I was wondering if someone was going to ask..... yes, it's cork. Prefinished variety, 1'X3" "click-together tiles (they don't really click together, they need some persuasion), $4/sf. Did a 500+ sf room in 1/2 day. Certainly the easiest DIY flloring project you can do, particularly if you have a table saw and nad saw for the few custs that need to be made. Dave.

Brad Schafer
01-07-2004, 8:20 AM
one more OT ... what kind of digital kybd is lurking in the background? too dark to tell; looks like a Roland left end ...

incredible work on the table - well done,

b

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Dave
Really beautiful!
Daniel :cool:

Dave Avery
01-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Brad,

Not digital...... it's the the real thing, a 52" upright piano in gloss black. Thanks for the compliments. Dave.

Peter Stahl
01-07-2004, 1:26 PM
Nice job Dave!