PDA

View Full Version : Mortiser Question

Gregg Feldstone
05-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I just got my Powermatic PM 701 mortiser. This is my first mortiser and there's one thing I don't understand. Why is there not a strong recoil spring and free, easy movement of the head such as one experiences with a drill press? I made adjustments to allow the head to move as easily as possible without any sideways slop. I understand it needs to be machined to produce lots downward pressure. Are all mortisers the same as this? Thanks!!

Brad Townsend
05-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I've had a new PM701 for about six months now. After fooling around with several different mortisers in stores and such, my impression is that they are not intended to have the springback that a drill press would have. Still, with the chisel free from the wood, the head of the mortiser should return to the up position with very little effort, but won't necessarily go up on it's own.

One thing for you to check is the gas spring. When I first got mine, it was bad. I would literally have to push up on the handle to raise the head. I took the spring off and found I could actually compress it between my two hands. Called WMH and they immediately sent me out a new one. Problem solved!

Gregg Feldstone
05-17-2007, 11:14 PM
I can bring the handle\head back up wity my pinkey, so I guess my gas spring is ok, though it would be nice if it returned by itself. By the way, what is the largest sized chisel which can be used on this machine?

Allen Bookout
05-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Are all mortisers the same as this? Thanks!!

My Yorkcraft is the same.

Bill Leung
05-23-2007, 3:17 PM
I had the same issue with my 701, the gas spring was bad on delivery. The store I got it from swapped it out for me with the floor model. I believe the largest bit is 3/4".

One possible reason there isn't more rebound assistance is that it would add more effort to the downward motion. After 25 motises, that would add up. The friction in the slot is greater than hole left by a bit. In fact, I on the first cuts, I usually need to pull up on the lever quite a bit. I tried using the dry lube stuff, it actually seemed like it made it stick more. I also noticed a big difference in the friction when the wood had more moisture.