PDA

View Full Version : Lathe - Beginner

Charles Wilson
05-17-2007, 9:35 PM
I may be possibly interested in turning some finneals (sp?) for the tops of fence posts. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, decent quality lathe?

Thanks,
Chuck

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2007, 9:41 PM
Chuck there are a number of lathes out there that would work for you. A Jet mini, a Delta 10" midi, a Rikon 12" or the Jet 1220 which will turn 12" all would be good lathes to start with. Lots of people buy the Jet mini to start and then keep it when they buy a bigger lathe. At the time money was a little tight I got the Rikon which will turn 12" bowl, pens, lidded boxes, etc. I really like it and it has been a good lathe for me. If you do a search on here you should find lots of info on all of the above. Hope this helps.

Cory Nelson
05-17-2007, 11:49 PM
I recently bought 2 Rikon Mini Lathe's one for me and one for my wife.
From www.woodzone.com (http://www.woodzone.com) (but bought them at the local store) and Love them. They have really done good for us so far (although we have only owned them 2 months). just my thoughts and opinion.
Cory :cool:

TYLER WOOD
05-18-2007, 1:57 PM
Try looking at and American Beauty, or Stubby. Those would work fine!

Just kidding unless you have the money. Then Buy one and send it to me when you are done with the fence.

Really, a Rikon or Jet or even a Palmgren. All of the recommendations above would work for you.