PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Shop, Advice appreciated

Rob Leslie
05-17-2007, 8:42 PM
I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting back into woodworking. In the past I've made many humidors, which I've sold to retail stores, given to friends, and filled with fine cigars for myself. After a nasty kickback incident with a Unisaw, which resulted in hand surgery and about the same time lots of business-related travel, I decided to sell most of my equipment/tools because I didn't have the time to use them and had also just lost the energy to do battle with tablesaws.

But, now I'm getting the bug to do some turning, which will be focused on bowls and hollow forms. I really enjoy the creative aspect of woodworking and I think that turning might be a nice way to get back into it.

I've taken a basic bowl turning class and enjoyed it immensely. So, now I'm thinking about purchasing some equipment to get started. Based on many of the recommendations I've read on various woodworking sites, it appears that the Nova 1624 Lathe and Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw would allow a lot of flexibility and reliability. Woodcraft seems to have reasonable pricing and there is one in Houston not too far from me.

Any comments (pro or con) on these pieces of equipment would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Jamie Donaldson
05-17-2007, 9:22 PM
... serious about hollow forms a lathe heavier than a Nova would be a good investment. Don't buy a Nova/Delta/Jet sized lathe and find out in a few weeks that a heavier and more powerful lathe is what you really need, like a Powermatic 3520B.

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2007, 9:35 PM
Rob I have a Nova DVR XP and I turn 16" bowls plus big hollow forms on it. I have a friend who has the Nova 1624 and he likes it very much. I turned a 13 1/2" bowl on his with no problem. He also built his own stand for the lathe because he wanted drawers for his chucks, faceplates, etc. He left room at the bottom for 300 lbs. of sand and it is rock solid. Most people add weight to there lathes for more stability. I don't think you can go wrong with those choices especially if money is tight.

Jim Becker
05-17-2007, 9:35 PM
Jamie speaks good advice. The band saw isn't absolutely necessary...you can rough big blanks with a chainsaw...put the money into a lathe that will do the best job for the kind of work you intend to do as well as the tooling and safety gear you'll need.

Frank Kobilsek
05-18-2007, 9:08 AM
Rob,

I go with Jim put the bandsaw money into the lathe, assuming you got a good chainsaw. Then next year get the bandsaw and go as big as you can muster the cash for. One other budget concern: accesories for the lathe will add up fast so plan as much for tools, chucks, boring bars etc as you are spending on the lathe. Sorry if this comes as bad news just being honest.

Frank

Kurt Whitley
05-18-2007, 1:50 PM
Based on many of the recommendations I've read on various woodworking sites, it appears that the Nova 1624 Lathe and Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw would allow a lot of flexibility and reliability.

Any comments (pro or con) on these pieces of equipment would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm suprised people consider the Nova wanting - especially given your qualifiers. For what they are worth, I'll give you my thoughts on this machine.

While the 1624 is a new machine, it is an incremental design update from the Nova 3000, so the basic design is sound and it improves on the 3000 tailstock and bed. Obviously, a belt driven lathe doesn't have any electronics to worry about.
Other than replacing belts, there shouldn't be any concerns unless the motor dies and if it does, I'm pretty sure it uses a 56C frame motor, so it is available as an "open market" purchase.

I think, unless you expect to challenge its physical capacities with extra-heavy projects this lathe is one of the most durable because of the simplicity of the design.

The closest competition is the Jet 1.5hp 1642 which sells for $1400 at WC or Rockler. At $400 extra for electronic variable speed and a well designed stand, it is a great option. However, while the EVS is a benefit of convenience, it is undoubtedly a trade off in reliability.

Some will argue that the Nova is better built, others will say not.

Personally, I would opt for the Jet. However, if I had reason to value absolute reliability, I would go for the Nova (I assume you have the ability to build a good stand). Others may have better information on controllers, but I have always thought that 15 to 20 years is about the life. Maybe worse, maybe better - depending on temperature and dust.

As far as flexibility goes, other than capacity (4" swing and 1/2 hp), the Powermatic offers nothing over the Jet - ON PAPER. However, the PM is built heavier - more as a continuous use production machine. It also costs 2.7 times the price of the Nova!

FYI, I have a 28 year old PM90 (which is a great example of reliability), a Nova 3000 and eventually plan to buy a PM 3520B.

I suppose much depends on what you end goals are, but I have seen some very fine work produced on these forums on lesser machines than the 1624.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-18-2007, 3:22 PM
Rob, let me suggest that you visit the Robust site and look at the "Sweet 16". There is a great picture of it under "About Us" in the menu system. It is the last picture. Also a write-up under "The Lathes". It will be more money but I believe it is worth the view.:) Since you didn't mention Mustard I know that won't be an issue. (just for Mark's Benefit):D

charlie knighton
05-18-2007, 5:10 PM
you do not say where you will turn, basement, garage, seperate building????:confused:

turning and expically sanding create dust you must controll it somehow
use money for bandsaw for dust controll

Rob Leslie
05-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've changed views a couple of times today. Earlier, I was thinking that Nova was the answer, then it was POWERMATIC. Now, having spoken to the owner of The Cutting Edge (in Houston) and seen both the Powermatic 3520B and the Jet 1642-EVS2 it's a very tough decision. However, I'm leaning toward getting the Jet 1642 2HP with variable speed and also the Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw. That should still leave enough $$ for chucks, gouges, and dust collection for my garage.

Thanks Again,

Rob

Kurt Whitley
05-18-2007, 10:44 PM
I assume he is selling it for somewhere around $1800. The 2 hp Jet is now a great value if you can swing the extra $$$. Until the start of the month, it was sitting around $2200, which made it too expensive compared to $1500 for the 1.5hp version (after the rebate, but before the recent price drop). It was also too close to the cost of a PM3520B to recommend.

That should still leave enough $$ for chucks, gouges, and dust collection for my garage.

Rob

These odds and ends pile up fast!
Naturally, it can be less or more, but typically you can figure $500 for DC setup with air cleaner. $250 for sharpening system (which you'll need immediately). $200 for chuck and jaws. Add another $150 for tools to start with.

It doesn't cost much, but don't forget a faceshield!

Cheers,
Kurt

Rob Leslie
05-18-2007, 11:07 PM
The price on the 1642EVS2 is now $1599 at all three (major) woodworking stores in Houston. The Cutting Edge does not charge for the freight, but of course does charge sales tax. I've not yet talked to the other stores about the freight charges that they cite on their websites. A faceshield will be one of my mandatory "starter" requirements, along with a grinding (probably DeltaVS) system, Wolverine grinding jigs, and a dust collection system. Speaking of dust collection, what do you all recommend? This is for a two car, detached garage, which will have one car in it most of the time but not when the wood is turning. In Houston, it is hot most of the year, so the garage door will be open with a big fan pushing a lot of the "wood air" to the outside. Based on past experience, when sawdust is being generated, it still gets on everything. So, some sort of DC system will be in the mix.

I'm still open for other comments/suggestions.

Regards,

Rob

Dennis Peacock
05-18-2007, 11:14 PM
I can't knock the other lathes suggested here. They are all nice machines that will do what they were designed to do. Knowing what I do now, and how much I've waisted on buying, selling and upgrading.....to do it once and be done with it....the PM3520B is a machine that's hard to beat. I have the 3520A and have loved it from the day I powered it on. Plenty of capacity, plenty of weight, and will do all that any reasonable turner could ask of the lathe.

Nova and Jet make some nice lathes and well worth the consideration. But I'm sold on "mustard" myself. :D

Richard Madison
05-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Rob,
Might want to consider some insulation and a room A/C for your detached garage building. My first and third shops were in Lake Jackson (down near the coast) and Madisonville (~1 hour N. on 45), and it was a pleasure to have a comfortable place to work all summer. Good for a lot of mtc. and "honey do" jobs as well as the woodwork. If well insulated, the cost of running the A/C will be small compared to that for the house. You will thank me every 100 degree day of the summer.

Chris Barton
05-19-2007, 6:55 AM
I agree with Dennis. If you are really sure about this go strait to your final choice (3520b). You'll enjoy it more and save money in the long run.

Rob Leslie
05-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Decisons, decisions.....

The ToolZone is offering the PM 3520B for $2499.00 on ebay (buy it now price) although they show it at $2599 on their website. The Utter Guys have the Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw for $749.00. Both prices include delivery to a freight location in Houston. I've got an email into The Tool Nut for a better price on the PM. I would probably need to add about $80/each for delivery to my home.

Any comments on these suppliers?