PDA

View Full Version : Any other square turners here on SC?

Jamie Donaldson
05-17-2007, 8:34 PM
I'm new to the site, and haven't much history with the regular gang. I have somewhat specialized in square and other random and natural edge shapes over the years. Here is a sample of my "4 Foot Bowl" series- cocobolo 19" on the diagonal, and the center bowl is suspended by the 4 feet.

Joash Boyton
05-17-2007, 8:57 PM
I've done a few square bowls, for galleries etc: They seem to go down well...

That piece there, is a stunner! Nice size too!

Jim Becker
05-17-2007, 9:38 PM
Very nice, Jamie...that cocobolo really worked in that piece. Oh, nice photo, too...:D :D :D

Steve Schlumpf
05-17-2007, 9:46 PM
Jamie, I'm one of those guys still working on the basics but wanted to let you know that your 4-legged bowl is very impressive! Love the form and finish. If you have the time - please post more!

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2007, 9:49 PM
Jamie that is a awesome piece. I like the wood and finish. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
05-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Very nice piece Jamie....and WELCOME to the Creek!!!! :D

Benjamin Dahl
05-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Jamie, very impressive. the floating center is pretty cool.
Ben

Joash Boyton
05-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Would we be able to see the underside of that piece?

Shane Whitlock
05-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Jamie ... Glad to see ya posting here :D That is a great piece, and the size is impressive. I haven't done one of these yet but plan to give it a try. As usual the photo is spot on too ;)

Great job and Welcome to the Creek,
Shane Whitlock

Colin MacDiarmid
05-18-2007, 4:07 AM
Like your bowl and your wood, here is my first attempt at winged bowl, the wood is Hondoarous Lacewood, sorry if pics are not good quality its my first attempt at posting on this site and I may have reduced the quality too far

Patrick Taylor
05-18-2007, 9:24 AM
I've been wanting to try one, and now you've inspired me. Nice work!

Stephen Hibbs
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I've made a few, but much smaller(~6" to a side) . Yours is a beauty, and making it so large makes much more sense since the small ones are only good for ash trays. I mostly don't like making them because of the tearout issues on the wings, and how hard it is to sand them well.

Ken LaSota
05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Jamie nice work. I have never done one but you have peeked my interest and now I will have to try it. Show some more of your work.
Ken

Don Orr
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I've admired your work for some time now as a frequent lurker on WC and WoW. I've done a few square pieces but not as nice as yours. I also have appreciated all your photographic advice over the years-thanks. Good to see you here on the Creek. Saw your post of the Phrugal Photo setup a while ago. I have it printed out and in my philes at home for when (or if) I have some free time:eek: .

Jim Becker
05-18-2007, 3:37 PM
That's phree time, Don... :D :D :D

Tom Collins
05-18-2007, 5:05 PM
To answer your original question no, most of us are not square. I'm kind of round and pudgy. I not sure you really want to get too close to the "regular gang" all they do is pull you down into the vortex.

Your square form is excellent. I tried one but it ended up providing heat for the house. You have inspired me to give it another try.

Tom C.

Don Snethen
05-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Jamie,

Very nice work and I like the contrasting grain colors. I have a square Myrtlewood blank prepped with a waste block and wing fillers waiting for me to have a go at it for my first time. I can only hope that it turns out half as good as yours.

Don

Jamie Donaldson
05-20-2007, 10:40 AM
What for? I use a compression chuck and turn them from a square blank- gluing on waste wood to cut off with a bandsaw is both cheating and potentially very dangerous. You can't accurately judge the thickness of the hidden edges, and an end grain glue joint is very likely to create a pointy projectile !!! Turn them square!

Neal Addy
05-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I've done a few in my earlier turning days but haven't tried one recently. Just haven't gotten around to it again (no pun intended). Here's a couple.

The left one is Zebrawood. I love how the square rim really highlights the linear grain on it. Some day I need to go back and remove that big ol' foot.

The right one is Walnut. This was an early piece for me and was probably sheer luck. I didn't know at the time that I shouldn't be able to turn one of these (at my then experience level) without breaking a leg off. The piece sits on the four legs and allows the bowl to hover.