PDA

View Full Version : Card fraud - I got hit

Mitchell Andrus
05-17-2007, 7:12 PM
I check my accounts nearly every day. Checked in an hour ago... I live in NJ..... A Pizza Hut in FL shows a charge for $363.06 on 5/15. A Kentuky Fried Chicken in NJ shows a charge for $360.00 on 5/16.

WOW, that's a lot of pizza and chicken.

All's good. The card's now dead and the balances will be removed. PITA! I just last month got that account updated with a new number. Didn't take long.

Rich Stewart
05-17-2007, 8:01 PM
Any idea how it may have happened? My neighbor got hit with a charge from some spa in Turkey for 2600 bucks. Found out it was some guys that run a gas station were getting the info off the cards when he got gas. Never let your card out of your sight.

If Russia attacked Turkey from the rear, would Greece help?

Mike Canaris
05-17-2007, 8:13 PM
You bet, we will be right there lubing things up...:D

John Shuk
05-17-2007, 8:59 PM
Mine got hit a couple of years ago. I never heard what or how. I just know the charges disappeared.

Jim Becker
05-17-2007, 9:02 PM
The one time it happened to me, AMEX caught it before I did...and I download daily. Some yo-yo was trying to order $1800 of camera equipment from Ritz Camera...and it wasn't me, although I've bought from them. 'No idea where the number got cloned, but likely a restaurant since I'm very careful with my cards.

Jerry Clark
05-17-2007, 9:30 PM
I bought something and used my card-- I walked over where they we processing the card-- the person was looking around and then slipping a silver card sized object back into his pocket. The flags went up and I went right to the bank and canceled the card. I then called the owner-- after a long talk he admitted that he has had problems with that employee. "Keep your eye on the ball".:cool:

Rob Russell
05-18-2007, 8:12 AM
I bought something and used my card-- I walked over where they we processing the card-- the person was looking around and then slipping a silver card sized object back into his pocket. The flags went up and I went right to the bank and canceled the card. I then called the owner-- after a long talk he admitted that he has had problems with that employee. "Keep your eye on the ball".:cool:

Ummm - it seems to me that the police should be involved there ...

Mitchell Andrus
05-18-2007, 8:19 AM
No idea, but given that the new card number had been created about a month ago, it can't be hard to see where it's been used. Not even likely to be followed up for such small amounts.

The amounts are so minor and the dates so fresh, the account the funds went to will be frozen and no money will move. The crooks end up empty.

....But, it's a numbers game. Some they loose, some they win.

Glenn Clabo
05-18-2007, 8:33 AM
My cards never left my sight...and I got hit twice. The one time I know for sure when it happened becuase it was the only time I used the card...PETCO...I believe the kid was able to memorize the info...then use it for computer software buy.
Bottom line...watch your accounts...and get on it right away. The banks are quick to stop and fix the problems.

Matt Meiser
05-18-2007, 9:49 AM
Ummm - it seems to me that the police should be involved there ...

My thoughts exactly--I think I would have pulled out my cell phone and called them right in front of the idiot. When mine got stolen I'm pretty sure it was in a restaraunt. They bank thought all of the charges on my card were fraud--they couldn't believe someone would actually go to south Chicago.

Stuart Johnson
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
How can you protect yourself at restaurants other than paying in cash? I do always check the name on the card when I get it back to be certain I got my card. We did have a mix up once the night before we went on vacation. Luckily the other guy caught it before we left.

John Schreiber
05-18-2007, 11:39 AM
This can be a pain in the neck, but on credit cards you are protected by federal law. If you didn't authorize the payment, the credit card company can't make you pay. Of course, if there is some question about whether or not you authorized it, it could be difficult to prove.

Debit cards are another story. You have far less protection there.

With cash you have another full set of issues.

Matt Meiser
05-18-2007, 6:49 PM
Stuart, I don't know that there is anything you can do. Basically I try not to worry too much about it since I have a good credit union backing up my account.