PDA

View Full Version : Queen Anne Handkerchief Table

Chuck Hamman
05-17-2007, 6:45 PM
I hope no one minds if I take the opportunity to showoff my latest project; another item off my "One day I'm going to build that" list. It's my version of Eugene Landon's Queen Anne handkerchief table (FWW, May/June 1985). I fell in love with this table years ago and finally got around to building it. It is more of a project than it first appears, especially for someone of only average skills.
There are a number of personal firsts here:
First serious project using cherry wood; first attempt at making cabriole legs; first time using HOT hide glue (maybe the last); and first time since 8th grade shop class for using shellac as a finish - I must have been living under a rock all these years.
I apologize for the quality of the photographs. The lighting isn't very good. Someday I'll learn how to do a better job with the photos.
I hope you enjoy it.
-Chuck

Howie French
05-17-2007, 9:17 PM
Chuck, great table, you did a really nice job on the legs.
I like this piece alot.

Howie

David Tiell
05-17-2007, 9:19 PM
Very nice piece of work there!!

Al Killian
05-17-2007, 9:26 PM
Chuck, That table turned out great. from the looks it is hard to tell that y`ou have limited skills.

Jim Becker
05-17-2007, 9:31 PM
Wow...very, very nice table and so many great "firsts" you list!

Ron Brese
05-17-2007, 9:36 PM
That table was not made by someone with average skills. Isn't shellac great, especially on a period piece.

Ron Brese

Mark Stutz
05-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Beautiful piece. Sure hope my first attempt at cabriole legs turn out even half that nice!

Chuck Hamman
05-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys for all the kind words. Oh I know it looks like a masterpiece,;) but I assure you there is plenty of room for improvement. Seriously though, it was a fun project and more challenging than I anticipated. Some areas used up more than one test piece, and that knuckle joint...well...I almost lost my religion over that one.

Yes Ron, shellac is a great finish; very forgiving and easy to apply. The fast drying aspect is a real benefit when working in a little, dirty, half-garage shop like mine. I have always been a varnish or oil guy but I think I've found my new finish-of-choice.

Thanks again,
-Chuck

Pam Niedermayer
05-18-2007, 2:27 AM
Great stuff, Chuck, beautiful.

Pam

Larry Rose
05-18-2007, 7:38 AM
Beautiful work Chuck. That one is on my "build it someday" list too. When I get around to it , I hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Dave Anderson NH
05-18-2007, 9:02 AM
Beautifully done Chuck. If you look back a couple of months you'll see the one I did out of tiger maple. It is indeed a challenging piece because of the angled mortise and tenon joints, the knuckle joint, and the finicky work on the corners of the top. You carried it out wonderfully.

Carl Eyman
05-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Dave Anderson and I were among those at Williamsburg's "Working Wood in the Eighteenth Century" a few years ago when Mack Headley, no less, was making a knuckle joint and had to do it over.

Why the last time on hide glue?

BTW beautiful piece.

Chuck Hamman
05-18-2007, 8:51 PM
I am very flattered by all the nice responses. You are helping to validate all my study and practice over the last couple of years.

Dave, I do remember your tiger maple table; It's beautiful. I think you were finishing yours about the time I was starting mine.

Carl, That is indeed good company. I don't think I'm quite ready for Mr. Headly and his crew just yet. Maybe in another project or two. :)

The problem I had with the hide glue was mostly of my own doing. I was gluing up the peices for the top and leaf and in spite of all I had read about using hide glue, I wasn't very well prepared for how quickly it can set up. And I was working in a cold, unheated shop to boot. Rob Millard has already reminded me about mixing in a dash of urea to extend the open time. This is and area that still needs some practice and experimentation.

Thanks again everyone,
-Chuck

Charles McKinley
05-19-2007, 4:39 AM
Very Nice Chuck!

You did an excellent job.

Calvin Hobbs
05-19-2007, 1:56 PM
Nicely done!

Do you have other "period" pieces under your belt or on your list?

Thanks for posting this project. Cal

Chuck Hamman
05-19-2007, 5:08 PM
Cal,
Thank you. In answer to your question, I have a number of "period" pieces on my list, but this is the first such piece I've built. It is kind of my coming-out piece if you will. Woodworking has been a hobby of mine for many years, but the past 2-3 years I have been methodically trying to increase my joinery skills as well as my knowledge of hand tools. At this point I consider myself at least 85% Neanderthal :)

-Chuck

Charles Jackson III
05-19-2007, 9:17 PM
Nice table!