PDA

View Full Version : Machining bamboo

Dan Cameron
05-17-2007, 5:14 PM
I need to make some custom molding to use with bamboo flooring. Any words of wisdom re sawing and routing bamboo (flooring). Is it hard on cutting edges?

Dan

dan moran
05-17-2007, 5:24 PM
watch out for splinters..

John Bush
05-17-2007, 5:37 PM
Hi Dan,
I just helped a friend's son build a "boomilever", basically a double truss cantilevered horizontally from a vertical base. I milled the components from bamboo stair treads and it actually milled very well. I didn't do any router profiling but it cut very smoothly on the BS and TS. The treads were made from 1/4" X 1/2" strips glued together and were easy to rip.

BTW he won the contest- the 40cm long boomilever held 165#s before failure. Good luck, John.

Jamie Buxton
05-17-2007, 8:51 PM
I second Dan's reply. When you rip the stuff it can have very sharp edges. If one of those edges gets dinged a little in shop handling, a splinter can form. Later, if you run your hand along that edge, you'll drive it a long way into your flesh. I work on the stuff only while wearing gloves. If you just break the edges with sandpaper or a small-diameter roundover bit, it stops being dangerous.