PDA

View Full Version : Waterborne BM Satin Impervo over water-based poly?

Carlos Arteta
05-17-2007, 3:54 PM
I have 100+ MDF 1footx1foot shelves, which were (mistakenly) painted with semi-gloss acrylic latex paint and subsequently, in order to minimize blocking, coated with one thin coat of water-based polyurethane. (I know... I know... a hard coat over a soft coat is still a soft coat...)

Although they are in good condition, for many reasons (long story) I am considering re-painting them with two coats Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo. I understand that it's 100% acrylic (no latex resin) and therefore block-resistant. Is this a good idea? I think (and hope) I don't need a primer. If so, is a light sanding needed to abrade the poly? Or something like BM self-priming IronClad waterborned low luster (for wood and metal) be better and also block-resistant since it is (I think) also 100% acrylic?

(I know that alkyd would be better, but I need quick drying...)

Thanks

Jason Roehl
05-17-2007, 6:05 PM
I'd do a quick scuff-sanding with 120 or 150 grit first, then go right ahead with the Impervo. Nothing lasts forever, you know.

Carlos Arteta
05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Jason, thanks for your reply.

One final question: is a product like BM waterborne satin impervo (100% acrylic, no latex resin as far as I know) block-resistant enough to be suitable for bookshelves? I don't have a spray so I will be brushing/rolling. Thanks.

Jim Becker
05-18-2007, 3:32 PM
Carlos, the Impervo acrylic is good for your intended application.