PDA

View Full Version : University Extension - Wood Processing and Drying

Rob Will
05-17-2007, 2:11 PM
The local State University Extension Agent and myself are tossing around the idea of hosting an all-day educational meeting about wood processing and drying.

Not only would this meeting cover straight dimensional lumber but also figured woods, turning stock etc. We would most likely touch on moisture meters, cutting, stacking, air drying and kiln drying.

Perhaps the first step should be to find a speaker. Often times, this is a person from U of KY or one of the surrounding state universities. Do you guys have any suggestions for a speaker?

Also, what are some other topics that you would like to see covered at such a meeting? Wood movement? Wood selection?

I realize that this is a huge area of study that often encompasses a lifetime of experience. The objective here is to give an overview plus whatever details time allows. If nothing else we might make contact with other woodworkers in the area who are interested in drying thier own wood.

Do you think this is a good idea and do you have any suggestions?

TIA,
Rob

Quinn McCarthy
05-17-2007, 2:45 PM
Dr Gene Wengert from UW Madison, WI

He is a moderator on woodweb.com

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Rob Will
05-17-2007, 7:20 PM
If anyone has a suggestion for a speaker or perhaps a suggestion for our subject matter, please post it or PM me. This is in the very early planning stages so any and all suggestions are needed.

Thanks,
Rob

Jim Becker
05-17-2007, 9:21 PM
Bruce Hoadly....

Mark Hulette
05-18-2007, 9:12 AM
Hey Rob-

I second the suggestion to get either of these gentlemen as both are great resources!

Not to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in attending something like this especially if it's at UK. Please keep us posted!

Rob Will
05-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey Rob-

I second the suggestion to get either of these gentlemen as both are great resources!

Not to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in attending something like this especially if it's at UK. Please keep us posted!

Great idea Mark. We are in the western end of the state but perhaps this program could be held at more than one location. All of this will have to go through the Lexington campus. We'll see if this idea gets off the ground.

Can somebody PM me with a little background info and contact info?

Not only do I have to contact potential speakers, I have to promote the idea to UK. In fact, it very well might be that someone at UK will actually contact potential speakers.

Rob