PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Buying Decision Help

Aaron Hamilton
05-17-2007, 1:22 PM
OK, I'm down to the Grizzly 8" G0586 for $595 or the Grizzly 8" G0490 w/ parrellelogram beds.

As a hobbyist woodworker who makes mostly cabinetry style furniture but eventually want to get into som more heirloom furniture building....is the G0490 worth the extra $155 for the parellelogram beds and the extra horsepower? (2hp vs 3hp)

Need some sound advice - Thanks!

Ralph Lindberg
05-17-2007, 1:36 PM
I haven't really looked at either model, so I can only comment in general. I am happy with both the WoodTek and Grizzly tools I have.

The Grizz has more power, a longer table, eye-height power controls and is heavier. But is also has slightly higher shipping costs.

I guess I'm not that much help

...you changed the question while I was responding...

Aaron Hamilton
05-17-2007, 1:43 PM
Sorry Ralph - my initial question Woodtek vs Grizzly? was answered when I saw the Woodtek only had 1.5 hp and was 115V. I want a min 2hp motor.

I've been happy w/ a little 6" harbor freight jointer for about 2 years and I know the Grizz will be an upgrade in quality. I'm just wondering if I would ever need the extra HP and how many people actually have to realign their jointer beds?

Mike Cutler
05-17-2007, 2:11 PM
I like the G0490 better of the two.
3hp versus 2hp. A slightly longer table length, and 120 lbs more weight.( I like heavy in machinery.;) )

Jeff Heil
05-17-2007, 2:12 PM
If you do lots of face jointing in harder woods, maple, hickory, oak, wenge, etc, you may appreciate the extra power. Both jointers should handle it, but the extra power can't hurt. You don't realign the beds that often, unless your moron brother in law can't tell the difference between your jointer and a shop stool, but that should only happen once......

Kim Spence
05-17-2007, 2:43 PM
I own the G0593 which is the same machine as the G0586 except with the addition of the Carbide cutter head. I absolutely love the machine, does a fantastic job. I had a 6" Sunhill before upgrading to the Griz, and I can tell you there is a world of difference.

I can't speak to the G0490, never used one. I suppose the ability to easily realign the tables may be nice, but the tables on my G0593 are perfectly co-planar.

As for power, I've never had problems with lack of power on the G0593, and I've face jointed quite a lot of hard maple at widths up to 7 or 8 inches. Machine never missed a beat. The G0586 with the standard blade may take a bit more power though because there is 8" of blade cutting the wood at a time, versus the 3/4" or so at a time with the carbide head.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Scott Loven
05-17-2007, 3:14 PM
The G0490 comes with a mobile base built in which brings the cost of both very close if you need a base.

Scott

Bill Eshelman
05-17-2007, 3:33 PM
My 0490 IS SWEET, I think the 0586 runs on 110v though.
That would be nice so you aren't paying for 220v Cable/Jacks etc...
but once I got the wiring in, I have nothing but flat boards.

G0490 + Dewalt 735 = perfect dimensioned lumber.

Harley Lewis
05-17-2007, 4:02 PM
I have the 586, it runs on 220, not 110 as noted above. It is a very good machine and I have been more that pleased with it. I think that if I were currently in the market though, I would get the 490, primarily for the built in mobile unit. I have the 453 planer and that built in mobility is very very nice. Not sure for a hobbiest you really need 3 hp, I have done a good bit of hickory with the 586 and it did just great, but for the $155 the 490 would be in my shop.

I would not buy the indexed head, I don't do a lot of figured wood so no need to spend that much to get a flat board. I do a lot of QS oak, and it does not tear out at all so I am happy with the 4 knife head.

glenn bradley
05-17-2007, 5:35 PM
Aaron,

Don't know if it helps but I've been pondering 8" jointers for a few months and saving my pennies. This is just my opinion from folks I've talked with, posts on this and other forums and so forth. Research was not restricted to Grizzly. YMMV:

Decision - G0490

Things that became a plus during my info gathering mission:

P-beds
Mobile base
Straight knives
Bed length
Weight
And my favorite in cCars, stereos and tools - horsepowerThings that became less tantalizing during my research:

Adding the electrical requirements
Wish it had wheels for bed position (minor gripe)
Byrd / Shelix
Saving a couple hundred bucks on a machine I hope to use for many years.I still read up on them and keep my eyes open. Maybe something will change my mind before the piggy bank gets full but, for now, G0490.

John Buzzurro
05-17-2007, 7:00 PM
Aaron,

If you're considering the G0490, you may also want to look into the Shopfox W1741. It's the same machine, and you may find it less expensive than the G0490. The Shopfox also has a 2-year warranty, vs. 1-year on the Grizzly.

Jason Simon
05-17-2007, 7:15 PM
By the shelix head too. That will save you the hassel of finding someone else to buy yours when you decide to switch it out in a year;)

Aaron Hamilton
05-17-2007, 7:18 PM
John,
Actually, I just found a shopfox dealer by the name of Machinery Distributors. They will deliver the W1741 for a total of $886, that's $7 cheaper than a grizzly delivered....is the ShopFox a significantly better machine?

Also, has anyone done business w/ this company?
www.machinerydistributors.com

Aaron Hamilton
05-17-2007, 7:20 PM
Jason,
As much as I'd like to buy the shelix head...I don't see myself benefitting from it for the amount of work I do. I have great luck w/ straight blade tools and I've grown up with them. I've heard they are great though, just not great enough to justify an extra $400 in my opinion.

Aaron Hamilton
05-17-2007, 7:21 PM
Does anyone else know a good place to get a good deal on the shop fox w1741? Most everywhere looks more expensive.

John Buzzurro
05-17-2007, 7:56 PM
Aaron,

The W1741 is the same machine as the G0490 - only difference is the color.

Nancy Laird
05-17-2007, 8:59 PM
Aaron, why don't you take a good look at the Steel City 8" wedge-bed? It's a 2hp, 3-knife cutterhead, and carries a 5-year warranty. At nearly $1100, it might be outside your price range, but it is a great machine and I don't think you'd be sorry.

Nancy