PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Open House in Southern California this weekend

Scot Ferraro
05-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Thought you all might be interested in the open house below. There are a lot of great presenters. Check out Lie-Nielsen's site for more information.

May 18, 2007 - May19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga
Joseph Filippi Winery (http://www.josephfilippiwinery.com/) - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Guest demonstrators will include John Economaki, Larry Williams, Michel Auriou, W. Patrick Edwards, Kevin Drake, Brian Boggs and Tom Lie-Nielsen
For Shows: Hours: Friday from 12-6 and Saturday from 10-5pm. Admission free.

Thanks,

Scot

Mark Stutz
05-17-2007, 6:42 PM
Scot,
I gave SERIOUS consideration to going to either Oregon or California for one of these events. In the end I couldn't justify the travel time for such a short visit. Hope you have as much fun as I did in Boston.

For all you other midwestern galoots, I e-mailed LN and was told that there is something planned for our area of the country...but time and place TBD.

Mark

Dick Aubochon
05-18-2007, 6:43 AM
Scot,
I gave SERIOUS consideration to going to either Oregon or California for one of these events. In the end I couldn't justify the travel time for such a short visit. Hope you have as much fun as I did in Boston.

For all you other midwestern galoots, I e-mailed LN and was told that there is something planned for our area of the country...but time and place TBD.

Mark

I know I've said this before, but:
I feel really spoiled that the LN showroom is only a 12 mile drive from my home.......at times I get wonderful free demonstrations from their "road crew". The only down side is the temptation to make a purchase everytime I walk through the door.:)

Brian Kent
05-18-2007, 7:10 PM
Scot,

I really appreciate this information. I live in Riverside, about 20 miles from Rancho Cucamonga and plan on being there 10AM Saturday. I would not have known about this otherwise.

Are you planning to go?

Brian

Steve Clardy
05-18-2007, 8:02 PM
Scot,

Mark

Cool. Keep me informed Mark. :D

Brian Kent
05-18-2007, 8:39 PM
Key question:

How do you pronounce "Lie-Nielsen"?

Ian Smith
05-18-2007, 9:21 PM
I always pronounce it as follows.

"Lie" is pronounced "Lee"
"Niel" is pronounced "Kneel", as in getting down on your knees.
"sen" is pronounced the same as the last syllable of the surname Henderson (with thanks to Mike for the use of his surname).

But be careful. If you pronounce it this way people might think you're an Australian.

Mark Stutz
05-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Steve,
I had the chance to talk to Tom in Marlboro last Dec. That get together apparently exceeded their expectations, and they were talking about taking it on the road. Both St. Louis and Chicago came up in conversation, though Chicago seemed a more likely location. He didn't actually say that but I was trying to read between the lines.

Mark

Brian Kent
05-20-2007, 3:26 PM
I went to the Lie-Nielsen open house yesterday at Rancho Cucamonga, CA. It was awe inspiring. I learned so much in 5 hours with these tool-makers. Everyone was so open and willing to talk about woodworking. It was also very interesting to hear some of their stories, how they got into this (some starting out as woodworkers, others as engineers.) I was given as much personal time as I was willing to spend with each of the tool guys.

I also grew in respect for Thomas Lie-Nielsen as I heard a couple of stories about how he had personally encouraged some tool makers, worked with them, and boosted their exposure to other woodworkers, potential buyers, and manufacturing capability.

My next nice tool buy will probably be a LN Low Angle Jack, after a 45 minute demo of about a half dozen different kinds of tools by one of their guys. I was surprised to see that the price was very close to the Veritas Low Angle Jack. I had pictured the Lee Valley/ Veritas bench planes as "about $200" and the LN's as "About $300". But Fine Tool Journal has the LN Low Angle Jack for $210 with free shipping to the Lee Valley / Veritas $199 with shipping.

Terrific and educational day, and I really appreciate those who made it known here on the creek.

Steve Clardy
05-20-2007, 8:15 PM
Steve,
I had the chance to talk to Tom in Marlboro last Dec. That get together apparently exceeded their expectations, and they were talking about taking it on the road. Both St. Louis and Chicago came up in conversation, though Chicago seemed a more likely location. He didn't actually say that but I was trying to read between the lines.

Mark

OK. Thanks Mark.
Hear anything else, keep me in mind.:D

Scot Ferraro
05-22-2007, 12:56 AM
This was truly an awesome tool event -- Brian Boggs is a stand-up guy -- very personable and encouraged questions -- I learned a lot. Kevin Drake from Glenn Drake gave some great tips on hand-cut dovetails -- cutting a slight rabbet seems to make a lot of sense to hide any over cuts -- very clean. There was a lot of info on French Marquetry and there happens to be a school in San Diego with one of the only teachers in the US (might be the only one) that teaches this technique. Tom is a great guy too -- I dropped my #8 on the floor a few years back (I know, how could I -- I still feel guilty about it):eek: ! But, an email to Tom and he fixed it, no questions and no cost to me -- I got it back a couple of weeks later and it looked brand new -- worked just as well as the day I bought it -- now that is service. I am a customer for life.

BTW, I spoke to a few of the folks there and inquired/encouraged future events -- they are going to Napa in the fall and have plans for more events -- the turnout for this one was pretty good, from what I hear -- there were a couple hundred folks that were there on Friday when I went. I was tempted to go back on Saturday, but had to many other things to do.

If anyone gets a chance to go, I would highly recommend it -- it was a great time all around!

Thanks,

Scot

Martin Shupe
05-22-2007, 4:59 PM
Sure wish they would have one of these around DFW, Texas!

The guy who does the marquetry in San Diego is also the guy who makes "Old Brown Glue". This is a hide glue he sells, which he created for his marquetry. I like this glue a lot; hide glue without the mess of a glue pot and heat. Once a year I buy a bottle. Try it, you'll like it. (no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer)