PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite piece ever on Sawmill Creek?

Joel Sauder
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I am sort of a newbie around Sawmill Creek, but in my short time I have seen some pretty amazing pieces of turned work. But I know with the 300+ pages in the Turner's Forum I have not seen them all. So what are you favorite pieces of all time, the pieces that made you scratch your head an wonder how they did that, the pieces that have such beauty of form and grain that you started to drool! Let's build a list of the best of the best, please be sure to provide pictures and credit to the artists.

My favorite is a manznita HF/void by Travis Stinson. Totally blew me away the first time I saw it and it still amazes me!

Jonathon Spafford
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I think the one you posted Joel along with http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48184 this one are my favorites!! Both of them just don't look like they should have worked out... and they are all natural with defects and all! I love 'em!

Mark Pruitt
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Is it OK to attach someone else's work to a post bearing your own name?

John Miliunas
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
OK guys, the OP was interested in pieces ON THE CREEK! So, I think it would be most appropriate if we confined ourselves to pieces actually "on the Creek". :) (Jonathon...hint, hint. :D ) Secondly, if there is a favorite you've seen here, instead of hijacking the picture and posting it here, it would be appreciated if you simply put the SMC link to the thread where the piece was first shown by the creator. Sometimes, as folks are in scurrying along in this hectic world of ours, someone may easily misinterpret the piece being shown as being that of the post originator. Let's not leave that to chance. Thanks folks! :) :cool:

Bill Wyko
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
My favorite was a piece recently posted by Travis Stinton. It looked like a Burl wood champagne glass with a finial. I think he made it. I also really like the piece by Malcolm Tibbetts that looked like a basket.

Bob Hallowell
05-17-2007, 1:22 PM
I can't Really decide there's be to many in to many different styles maybe something from Travis Tibbets or was his name Keith Ketron, or maybe his name was Frank Fuller. Oh I give up I like lots!:confused:

Bob

Jonathon Spafford
05-17-2007, 1:25 PM
OK guys, the OP was interested in pieces ON THE CREEK! So, I think it would be most appropriate if we confined ourselves to pieces actually "on the Creek". :) (Jonathon...hint, hint. :D )

Sorry... the piece was originally posted on the creek at one point! I was just to lazy to look for it ;) :D

Fixed it!!

Alex Cam
05-17-2007, 1:59 PM
Clearly, Curt Fuller turned the most incredible piece on this earth:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=511227&postcount=3

Curt Fuller
05-17-2007, 7:52 PM
Clearly, Curt Fuller turned the most incredible piece on this earth:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=511227&postcount=3

Get your mind out of the crapper, Alex.;) ;)

Although that's far from being incredible, let alone the most incredible, I appreciate the compliment.

I could never come close to picking a favorite here at the Creek. There is so much talent, so many amazing ideas, and so much beautiful wood that it would be more like my favorite volumes of pictures.

Nancy Laird
05-17-2007, 8:50 PM
I could never come close to picking a favorite here at the Creek. There is so much talent, so many amazing ideas, and so much beautiful wood that it would be more like my favorite volumes of pictures.

I agree, Curt. I have my favorite pieces from here in a separate picture file on my computer and at last count--about 5 minutes ago--there are 143 pictures in there. Some of them are different views of the same piece, but there are still a lot of "favorites." So my volume will continue to grow.

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
05-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I agree. WAY too many nice turnings posted by many here on SMC. From the beginner and their 1st turning all the way to here's my 1,000th turning.

My hat is off to all of you fellow turners that share what you've turned no mater what skill level you are at. It's all about fun and sharing what we learn.

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful turnings everyone....I enjoy them all. :D

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-17-2007, 11:20 PM
What, no pens????:eek:

Don Orr
05-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Try and pick ONE favorite:eek: . Sorry, but that's impossible with all the highly skilled turners here. I couldn't begin to pick out 10 favorites let alone 1. Way too many outstanding pieces ! That's a good thing by the way:D .

Jim Underwood
05-18-2007, 1:42 PM
Gee.. that's like trying to eat just one potato chip, or one brownie, or one chocolate chip cookie, or one cinnamon roll, or one piece of pecan pie, or....

Well you get my drift.

There's some really nice stuff posted on here.

One thing that makes it difficult is that there's no gallery.:(

Carl Eyman
05-18-2007, 1:43 PM
My favorite was flat work The blockfront desk by Alan Turner - see it was by a Turner! I'll post the address as soon as I figure out how to cut and paste it.

I can't get cut and paste to work. Alan posted it about July 2005. If you go to his member listing and look for a thread about a Newport Desk, you'll find it.