PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Sheet Magnets

Allan Wright
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Has anyone had any experience cutting sheet magnet with their laser, and does anyone know if sheet magnet material contains PVC or other laser-unfriendlies?

I'm talking about the thin stuff people make refrigerator calendars, etc. from. Of course I'll be using it without the vinyl covering on it which I'm assuming is bad, bad, bad for the laser.

Scott Shepherd
05-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Haven't cut any with vinyl on it, but have cut it without the vinyl, in sheet form with adhesive on the back,and have cut the laserable magnet where you can raster it and then cut it out and have a custom magnet.

Both cut fine.

Brian Robison
05-17-2007, 1:04 PM
The stuff I cut was horrible. It left burnt edges and charring.Probably had the settings off.

Dave Jones
05-17-2007, 1:55 PM
Rowmark makes a special laserable flexible magnet material. It's laser safe. I have no idea about other generic materials.

Allan Wright
05-17-2007, 2:22 PM
Rowmark makes a special laserable flexible magnet material. It's laser safe. I have no idea about other generic materials.

Ahhh super! I'll get some.

Brian Robison
05-17-2007, 2:33 PM
Beware, that's what I was trying with bad results.
Maybe someone here has a good tip?:confused:

Joe Pelonio
05-17-2007, 3:12 PM
Most of the magnetic material made for signs and fridge magnets has vinyl over the magnetic, so it does contain some PVC. You should buy the lasermag or if you need it thicker buy it with no color like Scott said and paint it or cover with a laser friendly colored material like the chrome or brushed metal poly.

Mike Null
05-17-2007, 4:43 PM
Everything I tried was a very dirty business. It was like playing with charcoal. I chose not to try any more.