PDA

View Full Version : Looking for member Dev Emch

Jerry Kniriem
05-17-2007, 5:55 AM
Hi, I joined your site to find Dev Emch. His name came up on a Google search for Gemco metal shapers. I have just bought one of these, and to my dismay I just found out it's a hydraulic model. I'm OK with it, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the hydraulic version. While looking on the net for a manual, this site popped up with a post by Dev Emch. The post was on 11/04/2005 @ 12:34 AM #81. In the post Mr. Emch said; ( Oh ya, I also have a 36 inch Bullard Turret lathe and both 20 in and 24 in hydraulic metal shapers. One is a GEMCO and the other is a Rockford. These are useful toys ). I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could put me in contact with Mr. Emch. I would like to ask him if he has a manual for the hydraulic Gemco shaper, I would pay a good price for a copy. Without a manual, or someone to talk to about operation and maintenance, I'm going to be in the dark and guessing about this machine. I'm a Tool & Diemaker/ shop owner, not a Woodworker, so I hope you gentleman will allow me an unrelated post or two. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. J.K.

Rick Moyer
05-17-2007, 6:23 AM
You can search for him in the member list. There will be contact links to send him a message.

John Bailey
05-17-2007, 7:32 AM
Dev hasn't posted for quite awhile. Your best bet will be to try to go through the members info and try an e-mail or PM.

John

CW McClellan
05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Think you will find him in-- Boise Idaho 83706--Dave Evanich --Norfolk Way--go to whhite pages -- you can send him an email there also -- no telephone no. listed:D

Geoff Barry
05-17-2007, 1:02 PM
Think you will find him in-- Boise Idaho 83706--Dave Evanich --Norfolk Way--go to whhite pages -- you can send him an email there also -- no telephone no. listed:D

I don't know the man personally, but I got to say, I don't think who you listed is Dev Emch. If I remember correctly, Dev was somewhere in the mountains of Colorado, and his name is his real name. I know he used to work at Storage Tech in Louisville, Colo (long ago a long post about layoffs there). He's dropped out of sight, but man did he know his machinery.

Steve Clardy
05-17-2007, 1:10 PM
Colorado is correct.

David Cramer
05-17-2007, 1:39 PM
For what it's worth, Dev is extremely intelligent with machinery of all sorts and the place of location would be Estes Park, Colorado (to be real precise;) ). Yes, that is his real name and I have no idea who CW(?) is talking about, but Dev Emch is really Dev Emch, not Dave Evanich.

Dev's knowledge of machinery is beyond belief. The man has "grande" experience. His posts were fun to read in my lurking days. I really miss the guy.

Dave

Jerry Kniriem
05-17-2007, 6:29 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. Tried white pages in Colorado, no listing. Was told by another member that Reg Mitchell knows him so I wrote another post looking for him. I'll see what happens. I appreciate your helping an old metal head. J. K.

Ken Garlock
05-17-2007, 8:47 PM
Hi Jerry, take a look at this site (http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot466.shtml) for a possible Email address.

Mike Bensema
05-17-2007, 9:32 PM
Jerry,
you might find a manual from this company, tons of information on all sorts of machine tools.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

You might also want to try the Home Shop Machinist forum. There are many memebers there with indepth knowledge of shapers and could help you if you cannot find a manual.

Jerry Kniriem
05-18-2007, 6:56 PM
Hello again guys. Thanks to all your combined info. I think I have located Dev. I did a Google search on his name and came up with a post on a non woodworking site. I won't reveal his name here to protect his privacy, but it is not Dev, Dev is short for something though. I did a search, being a bit unorthodox, and took a chance on calling a telephone # I found. I'm pretty sure it's the one. He was not home, but I'm waiting for a return call. I will be back to let you know, J.K.

Jerry Kniriem
05-19-2007, 6:12 PM
BOY do I feel like an IDIOT!!! Never assume anything. When I looked at this shaper the back side was against another machine. I looked at the back from another aisle. I saw Gemco 20" HY and that's all I could see. The HY doesn't stand for hydraulic, it stands for Heavy, as in heavy duty. Isn't heavy abreviated ( Hvy. )? I guess not. Not only is this a heavy duty, it is in mint condition. After scraping, and washing a ton of dirt off of it, to my suprise there is very little wear on the ways, screws, gears, etc. I also found a guy that has the manual, and is going to copy it for me free of charge. Dev's machine is a hydraulic, and they are scarce. That's why I was so desperate to find him. I want to thank all of you guys for all the Emails and help. Some very nice people on this site!! I will stop back again for that reason even though I'm a Metalhead.Thanks again, Jerry K.

Dirk Lewis
07-07-2009, 7:28 PM
so...was it him?
(he asks 2 years later)

James Jaragosky
07-08-2009, 1:19 AM
so...was it him?
(he asks 2 years later)
Yes: Inquiring minds want to know.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Poor guy's ears must be burning.