PDA

View Full Version : Carrying wood working tools by air

John Schreiber
05-17-2007, 1:13 AM
I'm going on a trip later this summer and will likely have some time to do some wood carving/whittling while I'm there. I know I can't bring my knives and chisels in my carry on. But will the TSA have a fit when they see very sharp objects in my suitcase? I can pack them in a tool roll, but I fear opening it up on arrival and finding my edges messed up.

Another option would be to mail them ahead, but I'd rather avoid that hassle.

David G Baker
05-17-2007, 7:46 AM
John,
You should be fine unless you try for carry on luggage, but to be safe, contact your airline of preference.

Jim Becker
05-17-2007, 9:16 AM
These items must go in checked luggage. TSA rules disallow tools like this in carry-on bags.

Alternatively, ship them via your favorite express carrier (FedEX, UPS, DHL, etc) to your destination and back home.

Greg Cole
05-17-2007, 9:49 AM
In the "good old days" I used to travel with a back pack with a small tool kit in it... all handheld mechanic tools.... even a hammer & knife. On bigger jobs I had a hard case roll around tool box loaded with all kinds of mechanic & electrical "sutff". Ahh the life of a traveling service technician.. spending 75% of my year anywhere in North America other than home. Not such "good old days" in retrospect.
John, one other thing to condsider is using a parcel carrier to ship your stuff in advance. Makes the suitcase much lighter, keeps the chances down of TSA pawing through your stuff (which is a guarantee if you have WW'ing tools in a checked bag).
Last spring I installed new cabinets, countertop, sink, etc etc etc at my folks house @ 1500 miles from where I live. My dad had little for acceptable tools, so I shipped home(via UPS) about 75 lbs of my stuff.

Bill Lewis
05-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Boy has everyone missed the obvious.

Buy new tools at your destination, then ship them home.

:p :p :p

Russ Filtz
05-21-2007, 1:16 PM
I would try packing them like firearms, in a locked TSA approved container, with your own lock. Then place that container INSIDE another piece of checked luggage with a TSA lock. Minimizes theft by the luggage monkeys, yet the TSA can xray and see what it is.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-21-2007, 2:49 PM
So long as it is in your checked luggage you will be fine.