PDA

View Full Version : MDF question

Alan Turner
01-04-2004, 7:04 AM
Guys --
I have recently made a crosscut sled, which I love. It is dead square, and easy to use. I used MDF for the base, and was wondering if I could rub a couple of coats of shellac on it to seal both sides? MDF is not something that I oft work with, but my stock of BB was not quite flat, so thought I would igve the MDF a try.
Any comments, or shared experiences, would be appreciated. Thanks.
Alan

Mark Singer
01-04-2004, 8:01 AM
Alan,
I usuall seal it with a penetrating oil like Tried and True or Daly's. I have a sled I made also years ago and it works great... ths trick is to leave the second runner(only 1 screw) loose until both of them are in the miter slots and then set the second screw ...so the alignment is dead on.
Try the oil on a scrap ...2 coats and your good , but of course both sides.
Mark

Tyler Howell
01-04-2004, 8:41 AM
Gents, :confused:

If I could dip this well of knowledge for a quick scoop? Is there Low DF, and High DF as well?? Haven't heard them mentionerd before.
Thanks

TJH

Alan Turner
01-04-2004, 9:19 AM
I actually place the runners in the slot, with glue, and shoot them from the top with a nail gun. Then, flip it over and screw it. The cross pieces, front and back, go on later, squared to the blade.
If the oil/varnish is OK, then I think the shellac would be OK also. This way I can put two coats on in about 5 minutes with a rubber, and wax it up. I have not waxed it yet, not knowing what finish I could use. I will do both sides, of course. Shellac is my default finish, all things being equal. In Pa, varnish drying is like grass growing, but with more dust.
Alan

Mark Singer
01-04-2004, 9:28 AM
Alan,
I am sure that will be fine...MDF takes everything pretty well.
Mark

Mark Singer
01-04-2004, 9:33 AM
Tyler,
MDF is "medium density fiberboard" it is a laminayed paper product.. "High density board" is an overlayed plywood ...it has a "skin" and is used for signs and forming high grade concrete. MDF now comes in a lightweight version as well much better for the back...the other stuff is heavy,
Mark

Tyler Howell
01-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks Mark.
Now MDO (medium density oberlay) is the paper overlay for signs??? Can't tell the players with out a program. Getting in deeper here!

Mark Singer
01-04-2004, 11:43 AM
MDO
Thats right! You've got it;
Mark

Cliff Newton
01-04-2004, 1:34 PM
I use spray poly on my jigs made out of MDF. Then if your want to make it slick, rub a little wax on it. The poly will outlast shellac I think.