PDA

View Full Version : Wine bottle wooden stopper rack needed

Ed Lang
05-16-2007, 3:28 PM
Does anyone have a file for a wine bottle stopper rack of some sort that they would share? I need to display 10 to 15 bottle stoppers this weekend and am running a little tight on time to design up something if it already exists.

Ed Lang
05-16-2007, 6:24 PM
I sat down and drew up exactly what I wanted in no time at all.

Those here that think they cannot draw or design items (like I was) listen up!!!

Just go and try, you will be happy with what you can do and it is your design, not another persons.

You can do it, I did! Pictures tomorrow after the glue dries and the finish is done.

Now, do I want natural watco oil or should I spray amber shellac?????

:)

Eric Allen
05-16-2007, 6:55 PM
I sat down and drew up exactly what I wanted in no time at all.

Those here that think they cannot draw or design items (like I was) listen up!!!

Just go and try, you will be happy with what you can do and it is your design, not another persons.

You can do it, I did! Pictures tomorrow after the glue dries and the finish is done.

Now, do I want natural watco oil or should I spray amber shellac?????

:)

Feel like sharing the design? I'm always up for checking out something new, and who knows, might need a quick one some time:)

Allan Wright
05-17-2007, 1:22 AM
I've had great luck with Watco oil. It won't ever transfer to things in contact with it once dry.

Ed Lang
05-17-2007, 9:13 AM
Here are two pictures of the bottle stopper rack before I put Watco natural on it later today.

Ed Lang
05-17-2007, 9:23 AM
Attached is the file I created for the wine bottle stopper rack.

I have zip'ed it and it is in Corel X3 format.

Nancy Laird
05-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Ed, what a neat idea. Did you cut that from 1/4" solid birch or birch ply? Or will it make a huge difference?

Nancy

Ed Lang
05-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Nancy,

I had 1/4" or I should say the metric equiv of it in Russian Birch so that is what I used. This way I get the strength of ply and the nice finish of the Russian Birch.

I am thinking about making a front panel that will have text engraved on it. something like "Hand Turned Wine Bottle Stoppers" and a price. My wife thinks the front should be open so folks can see the bottoms of the stoppers without having to pull them out. That is why I have not finished the rack. I want to decide first. Maybe I'll make a place to slide a wooden sign into the front and then I can have it either open or closed.

Now if I can finish up the laser and CNC work so I can get to the lathe and turn those crazy bottle stoppers before tomorrow night!

Take care,

Ed Nelson978
05-17-2007, 10:30 AM
You should consider using a piece of plexiglass for the front. You could still use it for the sign, but also see the stopper bottoms!

Steve McKee
05-17-2007, 10:57 AM
My wife thinks the front should be open so folks can see the bottoms of the stoppers without having to pull them out.
Ed, in my opinion, it doesn't matter. They're going to pull them out regardless. People like to hold things in their hands and get a good look at it. As I said, just my opinion.

Steve

Ed Maloney
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Ed, in my opinion, it doesn't matter. They're going to pull them out regardless. People like to hold things in their hands and get a good look at it. As I said, just my opinion.

Steve

Totally agree!

Ed Lang
05-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I will not have time before this weekend but I expect next week I will tweek the design and make it out of 1/4" plex.

If anyone has the mind to download the design and change it, please post your changes back here so not only can I learn, but others can too.

Eric Allen
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
I love that kind of simple elegance, appreciate the file too:) Makes it a little easier to visualize, really liked the tabs that hold the little shelves, nice touch:)

Brian Robison
05-17-2007, 1:07 PM
Ed,nice work. In MY opinion, always listen to the wife!:D

Dave Jones
05-17-2007, 1:58 PM
One thought would be to make it with the back sticking up above the top shelf, and put the name/label info on that.

Michael Kowalczyk
05-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks Ed for sharing. I do several things like this but on a bigger scale on my CNC's but it was really alot of fun when I took a full size unit and scaled it down to make with 3mm birch. It some times takes a few prototypes to get the joinery to fit right when you are doing 100's of them because the 3mm will vary a bit.

Sorry I can't share those because they are proprietary. I will look at yours closer and see if there is anything I can suggest that might help also. Nice layout. Did you draw it all in X3? I usually end up drawing in BobCad 21 and then save as dxf and then import to X3. Main reason is you know how there can be several thousandths difference on 3MM when you clear coat it. I make my joint almost too tight so you have to put pressure on it but then you feel it snap, no not break, into place and the parts don't fall out. They ended up being business card holders and a Thank you at the same time as promoting our product. I will look through the archives and see if any of them are sharable. I'm at home now so I don't have those files with me.(328)

Thanks again for posting,

Ed Lang
05-18-2007, 7:46 AM
Yes, I drew it all in X3 in about 15 mins. It was in my mind and since it was so simple, it was a snap to get done.

I would love to see some finished work, no need to have the files.