PDA

View Full Version : Yellow/River Birch

George Van
05-16-2007, 3:12 PM
George had mentioned in his river birch that I also had similar up here. I just got finished roughing and coring these four different blanks and thought I would show the grain I have to look forward to when they dry. They are 17-19 inch. I salvaged 14 of them from a couple of trees that died out in the woodlot after the tops blew out.

Jim Becker
05-16-2007, 3:22 PM
The "action" that shows in that third picture is incredible. Very nice stuff!

Jeff Moffett
05-16-2007, 3:30 PM
In addition to the nice grain patterns, the most intriguing aspect of the photos is that George appears to have both Mayo and Mustard in his shop, and the bowls are mounted on…. :D

Mark Pruitt
05-16-2007, 3:57 PM
In addition to the nice grain patterns, the most intriguing aspect of the photos is that George appears to have both Mayo and Mustard in his shop, and the bowls are mounted on…. :D

Gotta stroke that poor little Mayo every now and then, make it feel useful!:p :D

Mark Cothren
05-16-2007, 4:55 PM
No need boring the Mustard with this light work... (nice wood/bowls :) )

Alex Cam
05-16-2007, 5:07 PM
I'm green with envy over the grain in those bowls. They're going to be beauties. FYI -- since you're not using it, let me know when you want me to pick up your Powermatic. I won't even charge you for storage. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2007, 8:44 PM
Beautiful looking wood George - please post some pictures once they are finished.

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2007, 8:47 PM
George they look good especially the third pic's. Like to see them when finished. Nice job.

Ken LaSota
05-16-2007, 10:12 PM
George those are sure beautiful.Can't wait to see the finished bowls.
Ken

Andy Hoyt
05-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I think the mustard is there to show color contrast only.

It's in response to that old blue background thing again.

Yup, we have discovered the best possible use of mustard.:D

Nice looking hunk o wood. Wet and heavy.

Nancy Laird
05-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Those are going to be gorgeous when finished! I love that wild grain.

I'm not getting into the mayo-mustard "war." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm partial to a mustard-relish mix or battleship grey (my old Atlas). ;)

Nancy

Jonathon Spafford
05-17-2007, 3:51 AM
Those pieces sure have some lovely grain! Awesome wood... looking forward to seeing 'em finished

Aaron Hamilton
05-17-2007, 8:22 AM
Beautiful wood...

And my opinion is that the mustard should be sold to me - that way you can be dedicated to being a Mayo guy!

George Van
05-17-2007, 8:29 AM
Thanks all for the thumbs up on the figured wood, it will be fun to get into these when they are dry. Perhaps by then I will be done finishing this house and will have time to complete them.

As for the Mayo/Mustard mix, they are both good machines. The Mustard has served me well roughing almost 2000 bowls and hollow forms with one set of bearings supplied by PM. I still think it is the best value for the money and hard to beat the sliding headstock. I got the Mayo because I needed the capacity of the 2436. I use the PM primarily for the vacuum and hollowing, it is a nice luxury to be able to set up for hollowing and not have to tear down to turn a bowl.