PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Workbench

Michael O'Sullivan
05-16-2007, 1:17 PM
I am getting ready to build a workbench for my basement workshop (currently using an old table, which is not cutting the proverbial mustard).

Unfortunately, my basement has a tendency to take on water (on rare occasions up to a foot) after heavy rains, so I would prefer not to use nice wood for the base. Would I be making a mistake to use framing lumber (2x4s and 2x6s for the base)?

Al Wasser
05-16-2007, 1:32 PM
2X stuff is what mine is made from with a double layer of particle board for the top. It will not get any design awards but it gets the job done

Ron Hedrick
05-16-2007, 1:48 PM
Mine is also cheap and easy. 4x4 legs, 2x4 runners a 4x8 sheet of ply makes up the top. Top is put on using decking screws. If it gets really messed up take it off and turn it over. Once both sides are messed up get a new sheet.

Al Killian
05-16-2007, 1:56 PM
Mine is made frim 4x4's and 2x6 for the top. Just be sure to let the end grain wick up plenty of sealer. The best way is to put a bowl under each leg and let it sit over night.

Scott Loven
05-16-2007, 1:56 PM
Why not use 4*4 pressure treated lumber ?
Scott
Here are a few designs.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/24wb.pdf
http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/other/worktable/worktable.htm
http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/woodworking/images/new_workbench.pdf

David Garnick
05-16-2007, 2:06 PM
I had a massive benchtop I made from layers of scavenged materials - a solid core door, plywood underneath, and leftover cherry strip flooring on top. It was edged in oak. And what did I put this beautiful, flat, solid top on? Hem/fir 4x4's with 2x4 stretchers screwed to the legs. It was attractive, solid, and didn't flinch an inch no matter what I did on it. An advantage with such a base is that I could drill and screw into it with impunity as the need arose.

Craig D Peltier
05-16-2007, 2:14 PM
Mine is out of 2x4s and double plywood top. plansnow dot com has it under weekend workbench. very solid, all the joints lap each other for stability.I added wheels.

Jim Becker
05-16-2007, 3:07 PM
Why not use 4*4 pressure treated lumber ?

That's what I would use in this situation for the legs.

Bart Leetch
05-16-2007, 3:16 PM
Well how about checking down spouts & gutters & making sure they are all cleaned out & unplugged & directed well away from the foundation as well as if still needed putting in drain tile around the house.

Then you can put in any kind of bench you want. Besides that all that moisture isn't good for you or your family or house or any kind of wood working tools.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes but this is more important that any bench.

James Carmichael
05-16-2007, 3:19 PM
That's what I would use in this situation for the legs.

You could also treat the sled/feet/whatever with roofing paint.

Chip Olson
05-16-2007, 3:26 PM
Mine has an apron made of 2x6s and the legs are doubled-up 2x4s. 2 thicknesses of 3/4" MDF for the top. Doesn't go anywhere (literally; like all good workbenches it won't fit through the door of the shop it was built in).

Pressure-treated lumber sounds like a plan, but dealing with your water problem (if that's practical) sounds like a better plan.

Doyle Alley
05-16-2007, 3:33 PM
I'm going to disagree with the pressure treated lumber. That stuff is about as unstable as Charles Manson. If you did get water intrusion, the legs would take on water and warp causing your table to go out of square and unlevel. You can buy industrial strength metal legs in many of the woodworking catalogs. While they may rust, at least they will never warp.

Scott Loven
05-16-2007, 4:13 PM
Well how about checking down spouts & gutters & making sure they are all cleaned out & unplugged & directed well away from the foundation as well as if still needed putting in drain tile around the house.

Then you can put in any kind of bench you want. Besides that all that moisture isn't good for you or your family or house or any kind of wood working tools.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes but this is more important that any bench.
Or, what about a french drain and a sump pump?
Scott

Eddie Darby
05-16-2007, 4:15 PM
If you suffer the odd flooding, why not build a work table that is mounted on the wall, and has a triangular shaped underside.

You could also roll up your pant legs as well, and go Neanderthal to reduce the shocks. :)

Michael O'Sullivan
05-16-2007, 5:08 PM

I have both of those, but I think geology and physics are my enemy. First off, the storm sewer has a nasty habit of backing up when there is a real downpour, and sewer caps and sandbags notwithstanding, the water comes on in. Second, when the ground gets saturated (and it does not take all that much rain to saturate it, because, I think, the bedrock is very close to the surface where I live), the water just seeps in everwhere until it reaches an equilibrium. The situation is similar for all my neighbors.

Jim Becker
05-16-2007, 5:29 PM
Michael, I certainly understand your situation....when the water table is high, it's about 1/2" above the floor in our basement. You can't really fight Mother Nature sometimes. (and on this 250 year old structure, you also can't seal off the rubble foundation)

Randy Denby
05-16-2007, 5:54 PM
250 yr. old? wow !!! I'd love to see a pic of your house!! That sounds awesome. What kind of construction was used? Do you have any history of the house and its original builder?
On an aside...It seems the older I get, the more interested I am in history. I turned 50 last month....and have seen the world change alot since I was younger. I can only imagine what it was like back then.

Sorry, I just realized I hijacked your thread. Pay me no nevermind :D

Bart Leetch
05-16-2007, 6:13 PM
Scott

Many times the above mentioned items of gutters & down spouts & french drains & the proper grading around a house can have a big effect on whether you have water intrusion. With these improvements you my not even need a sump pump. I have even seen where taking care of gutters & down spouts & hooking flexible or hard tube to the bottom of the down spout & causing the water to be moved further away from the house is all that was needed.

In any case I wouldn't be worrying about wood working until I had this problem taken care of. If it is your house your investment is eroding away & with mildew & mold issues you are endangering your families health.

Michael O'Sullivan
05-16-2007, 6:18 PM
Michael, I certainly understand your situation....when the water table is high, it's about 1/2" above the floor in our basement. You can't really fight Mother Nature sometimes. (and on this 250 year old structure, you also can't seal off the rubble foundation)

The good news for me (knock wood) is that the Nor'easter we had a few months ago dumped about 8 inches of rain in 36 hours onto some already pretty sodden ground, and that led to a max of about 16" in the basement, so I can't imagine it getting much worse than that. I was able to keep everything well above water level other than the band saw. Remarkably enough, the BS (including the LVC, which was submerged for more than a day) seems to have survived. I am currently trying to find something in a giant plastic bag that I can sit the BS in (sort of like people do with x-mas trees).

The only other tool that got wet was my grinder, and in hindsight that was eminently avoidable. I have an empty plastic file cabinet in the basement, and when the water started rising, I sat the grinder on top of it. Water displacement is an extraordinary thing, however, and as the water continued to rise, the cabinet began to float and promptly capsized sending the grinder over the side. It too survived, although when I first tutrned it on, it emitted a long jet of water.

Bart Leetch
05-16-2007, 7:27 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: Sorry you flunked wrong answer. This is a health issue don't play around with it I assure you is won't play nice with you or your family.

Get busy & read up & learn about mold & mildew do not procrastinate do something now before its to late. Your family's health is at stake here as well as your home.

Because I work in subsidized housing I have had to set in meetings about this problem which can be hidden & not be apparent until its to late & your house is uninhabitable & your families health has been compromised.
THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO TAKE WITH WITH GRAIN OF SALT & THINK IT'LL ALL JUST GO AWAY. START DOING SOMETHING NOW.

Larry Nall
05-16-2007, 9:39 PM
I went with the 4x4 PT legs. My top is 2x4s turned on their sides and bolted together. It's over three inches thick and can withstand anything I'd ever do to it. I've never understood building a bench from exotic woods. I'd be afraid to use/abuse it.

Rob Will
05-16-2007, 10:25 PM
This is a health issue don't play around with it I assure you is won't play nice with you or your family.
Get busy & read up & learn about mold & mildew do not procrastinate do something now before its to late. Your family's health is at stake here as well as your home.

And just when the power tools being submerged in water was getting interesting...........Bart has to go and ruin it for everybody.

Electric grinders that shoot water jets? Tell me more!;)

On a more serious note: Can you dig around the outside of the structure and install drainage pipes? Are you on a hill? Is there an outlet for drainage pipes? What is the foundation material of the house?

Rob

Michael O'Sullivan
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: Sorry you flunked wrong answer. This is a health issue don't play around with it I assure you is won't play nice with you or your family.

Because I work in subsidized housing I have had to set in meetings about this problem which can be hidden & not be apparent until its to late & your house is uninhabitable & your families health has been compromised.
THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO TAKE WITH WITH GRAIN OF SALT & THINK IT'LL ALL JUST GO AWAY. START DOING SOMETHING NOW.

Easy Tiger.

We are not talking about a finished basement -- the house was built around 1919, and the basement is terra cotta cinder blocks and cement. The water oozes through the wall like it wasn't there. The plus side being that it oozes back out (or drains/evaporates) pretty quickly. In any event , mold and mildew are not a big problem.

Paul Simmel
05-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Michael,

>>> I am currently trying to find something in a giant plastic bag that I can sit the BS in

That’s a good idea. I’m going to suggest piece of membrane (pvc I think) such as what is used to line a new shower base. It’s thick and absolutely water proof. You’d have to put something under your BS feet to keep them from puncturing the membrane. A 6’ x 7’ sheet would probably be large enough to fold and gift-wrap the sides… then bungee cord it. My Menards sells this stuff.

Good luck!

Bob Yarbrough
05-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Shopnotes has a pretty simple, built like a tank bench in the current (I think) issue. Started building the top after work today. It uses 2x lumber and MDF for the top.

The last top I built (also MDF), I laid a sheet of hardboard on tope, then applied edge trim. When the hardboard got nasty, yanked it off and replaced it.

Bob

Jeff Heil
05-17-2007, 2:05 PM
Would the base of your bandsaw fit in 1/2 a plastic 55 gal drum? You didn't specify the size of your saw, but that would help keep it dry. I think I could jet my jet into a barrel. Otherwise look at a farm supply store for a plastic feed/ water barrel if you need larger.

my .02