PDA

View Full Version : Old Sears Contractor's Saw - Arbor Change

Gary Warren
05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement arbor for the above saw that has the entire blade shaft and threads that measure a full .625"? I need such to make my Super Dado work appropriately.

Jason White
05-16-2007, 12:23 PM
The RIDGID TS3650 table saw takes a full dado stack. I wouldn't be surprised if the arbor fit your saw -- Emerson Electric makes the RIDGID saw and used to make the Sears saws. You could probably order a replacement arbor on RIDGID's web site.

JW

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement arbor for the above saw that has the entire blade shaft and threads that measure a full .625"? I need such to make my Super Dado work appropriately.

Howard Acheson
05-16-2007, 1:04 PM
While the older Craftsman saws were manufactured by Emerson, Sears changed sources to Ryobi in the late 1990's. To replace the lost Sears business, Emerson started the "Ridgid" line of power tools which they manufactured for distribution with Home Depot. The Ryobi Craftsman manufactured saws were identical with the Emerson manufactured tools. As it turns out, Emerson decided it did not want to manufacture woodworking power tools and contracted their products out to Ryobi. So you now have the situation where Ryobi manufactures virtually the same tools for both the Craftsman brand and the Ridgid brand.

The above is a long way to get to the point that the arbors on both the Craftsman and Ridgid brand have been redesigned to be standard with other brands. Depending on how old your saw is, it may be possible to install a newer arbor in your saw. If not, then you only choice is to find a machine shop to make one for you. It would probably be cheaper to buy a new saw.

There is way to deal with about 95% of the problem by filling the groove in the arbor with something like JB Weld and, when hardened, filing and sanding it flush with the inthreaded portion of the arbor.

Bob Wingard
05-16-2007, 1:48 PM
Most all arbors have standard o.d.'s on the bearing surfaces .. .. most all saws have standard i.d.'s in their castings where the arbor mounts. As such, most any arbor SHOULD be capable of being installed by selecting bearings with appropriate I.D/O.D. The only real exception is if one is Metric, the other Std.

If you can find an arbor of the proper length and diameter, it can almost always be mated up to work. You may also need to change the driven pulley if the I.D. is different.

Gary McKown
05-16-2007, 2:04 PM
Apparently you can still order a replacement arbor (ca. $49)from Sears Parts. http://www3.sears.com/ , or as someone said from the Ridgid site. When I did that about 4 years ago, the new one came without the groove. Actually, I ordered the entire housing assembly which included the housing, arbor, bearings, etc. for the same price as just the arbor. Apparently that option is no longer available, though.