PDA

View Full Version : Awfs

John A. Williams
05-16-2007, 9:29 AM
Who's going to AWFS this year? Wed. July 18 to Sat. July 21. I'll be going with my wife this year. Anybody which day Norm Abram will be there?
John

Nancy Laird
05-16-2007, 9:38 AM
John, LOML and I will be there working the Woodworker's Supply booth. I'm not sure what days we are scheduled to work, but we'd like to meet you while you're there.

My AWFS brochure doesn't mention that Norm Abrams will be there at all, and I think that if he was on the schedule, his picture would probably be on the cover. If you go to www.awfsfair.org (http://www.awfsfair.org), there is probably a pretty comprehensive list of the presenters of the seminars and panels, and you can register there too (if you haven't already done so).

Nancy

Todd Solomon
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I'll be there, probably on Saturday only. I ordered a Felder jointer-planer many months ago, and will be picking it up there, thanks to a hefty show discount and no sales tax.

Dan Lee
05-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Is this show open to the general public? Reason I ask is the registration process requires info on your company and trade info.
Do vendors generally bring product to the show to sell?
Thanks
Dan

Nancy Laird
05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Dan, the AWFS is one of the two premier trade shows in the country (the other is the IWF in Atlanta). They are in alternating years, AWFS in odd-numbered years, IWF in even. ALL of the big manufacturers and vendors show up--the manufacturers bring all of their premier machines and often introduce the new stuff at the shows. E.g., Steel City unveiled their line of new machines at the 2006 IWF. You'll see what's new in everything from abrasives to wood recycling, woods, fabrics, fasteners, finishing, flooring...just about anything and everything related to wood (and some metal-working machines too). AWFS is the Association of Woodworking and Furnishings Suppliers, and they put on a great show.

In 2005, the AWFS took over both floors of the South hall of the Convention Center; this year they have expanded and will be in both north and south halls. You CAN NOT see it all in one day--absolutely impossible. When we were there in 2005, we met attendees from all over the world--and there were vendors there from all over the world too.

They also have a "College of Woodworking Knowledge" and will be presenting seminars and panels on over 50 topics ranging from areas of business management to safety.

If you've never been to AWFS or IWF, you're in for a treat. If you've attended before, you'll see more vendors, more machines, more of everything. It's an experience not to be missed.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
05-16-2007, 1:41 PM
Is this show open to the general public? Do vendors generally bring product to the show to sell?
Thanks
Dan

Dan, I think I answered the second question in my post above. As a clarification, they usually don't sell the actual product at the show but, as in the case of WWS, they will take orders at the show, then process them each day for quickest shipment from the nearest shipping warehouse.

As far as the first question is concerned, they do require your "business" classification; however, if you are a first-time attendee and want to go, you can just conjure up a business name, (Dan Lee Associates, or something similar), make up some business cards, answer the questions as they pertain to the woodworking you do, and you'll get a pass. They will ask for business identification at the show, but a quickie business license for your town can take care of that too. (And a business license can't hurt anyway if you decide that you want to sell things that you make.)

They don't encourage attendance by casual woodworkers, but they also don't keep casual woodworkers out of the show; there are too many of us/them who have dollars to spend. But their primary focus is on "the trade"--the "pros" - those who make $$$ from their woodworking, whether you're a one-man shop or a multi-location business with tons of employees.

If you've ever earned any money from your woodworking, you are part of "the trade" and you are part of the target market.

Nancy

Dan Lee
05-16-2007, 4:27 PM
Nancy
Thanks for the info

John Hain
05-19-2007, 12:22 PM
I'll actually be in Las Vegas during this time.

Let me get this straight. I can't just buy a ticket and walk in?

Nancy Laird
05-19-2007, 12:44 PM
DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS. However, I believe that you can come into the Convention Center and buy tickets. According to the brochure, "new registrations will continue to be accepted on-line through the duration of the show." If you register on-line or by mail before June 25, the exhibit-hall ticket is $10.00. After June 25, it jumps to $30.00. You can call (877) 303-0711 to confirm this.

As an aside, I note on the on-line registration form that they are NOT requiring a company name or affiliation to register. This leads me to believe that you don't have to be a "professional" to attend. I'm seeing some conflict between the printed brochure and the on-line registration.

Nancy

John Hain
05-19-2007, 1:19 PM
DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS. However, I believe that you can come into the Convention Center and buy tickets. According to the brochure, "new registrations will continue to be accepted on-line through the duration of the show." If you register on-line or by mail before June 25, the exhibit-hall ticket is $10.00. After June 25, it jumps to $30.00. You can call (877) 303-0711 to confirm this.

As an aside, I note on the on-line registration form that they are NOT requiring a company name or affiliation to register. This leads me to believe that you don't have to be a "professional" to attend. I'm seeing some conflict between the printed brochure and the on-line registration.

Nancy

I actually just went through the registration and they DO require a company name as well as your standing in the company and other company information. This is on the 2nd page of the registration.

I emailed the AWFS contact and specifically asked how to register for hobbists.

I'll be attending on July 18th and maybe the 19th if anyone we be around.

Nancy Laird
05-19-2007, 1:48 PM
John, Hubby and I will be there all four days - at the Woodworker's Supply booth, which is going to be in the north hall (I believe) next to the belt-sander races.

Come see us!

Nancy

Bob Michaels
05-19-2007, 8:16 PM
Yes, the wifey and I will be at AWFS. I've been registered for quite some time. It would be great if someone (hint, hint - Nancy) could organize a get together for Creekers, maybe even a group casual dinner, doesn't have to be fancy, just fun. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
05-19-2007, 8:31 PM
OK, Bob, you're on. I'll be in Vegas from July 11 on, so I'll do some searching for a good (read "inexpensive") place, maybe away from the Strip, and we'll have a good ole Creeker get-together! :cool: :cool: :cool:

If you and anyone else who will be there will PM me so I can get a head count, I can probably make reservations. (Now all I have to do is borrow someone's laptop so I'll have 'puter access while I'm there :o ;) :rolleyes: )

If I have names of the people coming prior to July 9, I can even make name tags!!!!! How's that for a deal???

Nancy

Nancy Laird
05-21-2007, 8:48 PM
BUMP!!

I'm bumping this in the hope and expectation that some of you who will be in Las Vegas want to do a Creeker get-together while you're there. As I said previously, I'll coordinate, but I need to know who (names), so PM me with the info.

Nancy

John A. Williams
05-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi Nancy, my wife and I will be there, not sure what day yet though. Trying to plan to be there and see Norm at Delta booth. Also Delta is supposed to unveil new tools, any idea what day that would be?
John

Nancy Laird
05-22-2007, 8:45 AM
John, I still don't know anything about Norm being in Vegas, but I have my "source" checking on it. I presume that anything new that Delta intends to introduce will be in their booth on opening day--Wednesday.

OK, folks, as far as the Creeker gathering is concerned, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it will be on THURSDAY NIGHT, July 19--place to be determined. I'll have a week in town before that night and I'll scope out a placeand post it here. But if you're going to be in Vegas, save THURSDAY night!!!!

Nancy

Nancy Laird
05-22-2007, 11:13 AM
BUMP!!

Vegas in July with Creekers? What a great idea!!

Nancy

Az Fred
05-23-2007, 1:38 AM
Nancy, It may already be late to snag a meeting place of any size but a small gathering place such as a restaurant may still be possible.

A rough count and idea of amenities needed is important.

I plan on being in Vegas on June 12 & 13th also and could scope out possibilities if that would be helpful.

Nancy Laird
05-23-2007, 7:52 AM
Az, I was thinking of a restaurant somewhere, perhaps somewhere off the Strip, but not too far...maybe even downtown along Fremont Street? If you want to find a place or two, that would be great. Are you going to be there for AWFS??

Nancy

Az Fred
05-23-2007, 9:41 AM
I'll be at the show every day.

Because I'm new here please help me with a number of possible attendees that might show up. Am I looking at the corner booth at a Blueberry Hill Diner or a ballroom? Off strip or south strip restaurants with meeting rooms are also a possibility.

Nancy Laird
05-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Az, I wish I could help with the "number of possible attendees" question - everyone who has expressed any interest has posted here, so at this point we may be talking about 6-8 people. But, as the date for the show gets nearer, we may get more response. I'm going to PM Aaron to try to make this thread a sticky from now until the show so we might get a little more response, as the thread seems to get lost.

I'm thinking a restaurant with a meeting room/area--off-strip, downtown, or south strip, as long as it's pretty easy to find and get to, as I would suspect that many of the attendees won't have their own wheels.

Nancy

Az Fred
05-23-2007, 12:16 PM
OK....

I'll watch the responses for a week or so and see what develops.

The $10.00 registration fee expires on June 25th and I would not expect many to register after that and pay $30.00.

Jason Crees
05-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I moved from Vegas about a year ago. Here are a couple of suggestions for places to meet up at.

PT's - there seem to be about a million of these in Vegas. They serve big beers and are inexpensive (for Vegas) There is one across the street from the airport that is pretty easy to get to and looks over the runway so you can see the planes take off and land. It is on Sunset.

Tommy Rockers is near the Rio off of Dean Martin BLVD. & Flamingo.

Depending on the number of people, there is a cool bar at the top of the Polo Towers that overlooks the Strip. This is a timeshare resort, so I am not sure if it is open to the public, but I have always just gone in and went to the elevators and no one ever said anything about it. It has a great view and is a hidden gem.

Bob Michaels
05-23-2007, 9:07 PM
Count me and the wifey in for dinner, where ever you choose. on Thursday, July 19th. Nancy, Thanks for organizing things. :p :p

Nancy Laird
05-23-2007, 9:16 PM
Great Bob. I'm going to keep this post as a list of those who will be there. Anyone who wants to join us, just post and I'll update the list.

I need wives' first names!

Bob Michaels and wife
Az Fred
John and Denise Williams
John Hain
Nancy and David Laird

Nancy

John A. Williams
05-23-2007, 10:51 PM
John & Denise Williams
I vote for PT's overlooking the airport, I love watching planes.

John A. Williams
05-23-2007, 10:52 PM
( I love big beers too)

Nancy Laird
05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
John & Denise Williams
I vote for PT's overlooking the airport, I love watching planes.

Okay, John, you got it!!! PT's at the airport it is.

Here's the drill--when I get there, I'll reserve a back room for 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 19. (That will give us time to get back to our respective rooms, shower, change, and get there (I hope).)

Come on, folks. Let's have a party!!!!!!:D :D :D

Az Fred
05-24-2007, 1:09 AM
Probably no wife.

The one I have is in Hospice and July is a long way away.

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 9:53 AM
Oh, Az, I'm sorry about your wife. I'll keep the two of you in my prayers.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
BUMP!! Let's have a party.

John Hain
05-25-2007, 2:31 PM
Hey Nancy,

My wife and I will both be down there. I'm not sure if we can make it to dinner so I'll have to get back to you...........

Nancy Laird
05-29-2007, 9:22 AM
I'm bumping this back into Active Topics to see if we get some more interest in the Creeker dinner in Las Vegas.

Nancy

John A. Williams
05-30-2007, 12:28 AM
It does not seem that many people are going to the show, or maybe there will be more as we get closer to July.
John

Nancy Laird
05-30-2007, 12:47 AM
...or maybe there will be more as we get closer to July.
John

I really hope so. We are still 7 weeks away from the start of the show---lots of time for people to make plans. Let's keep fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.:p ;) :rolleyes:

Nancy

Brad Tucker
06-01-2007, 9:51 AM
Hi all,

Brad from Mini MAx here. Regarding Non-professionals attending the AWFS so I looked into this for one of my customers viewing this thread. I spoke to AWFS and asked them to e-mail me something I could post for this thread. Here it is:

Dear Mr. Tucker,

Thank you for contacting us about the 2007 AWFS Fair.

In order to attend the conference, a attendee must show something showing a relationship to the woodworking induatry. A letter from a exhibiting company on company letterhead inviting someone to attend in order to view their products will be accepted.

If you have any other questions, please call our Customer Service Department at 1-877-303-0711.

Thank you,

Carole R
Customer Service

Thats it. So you CAN quote me on this! Non-Pro's can get in! We want you all to come!!! If anyone here would like an invite contact us & we would be more than happy to e-mail you something you can print out.

Hope to see you all there! Brad T
MiniMax booth Central hall 5625

Jim Becker
06-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Brad, thanks for that information! Very useful to our community.

And you need to visit Mr. Singer, who is practically your neighbor in LB...have him show you how he's using his MM J/P/M in his delightful work!

Nancy Laird
06-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Brad, do you want to come to our gathering??

Nancy

Brad Tucker
06-01-2007, 3:52 PM
Hi Jim, I've been in Marks shop moving a machine although I didn' get to see his work. By the looks of the shop it must be nice. I'll throw a pic or to of my work on once if figure out how. I'm more of a woodworker geek than computer geek. I make hollow balsa surfboards. Been a pro cabinetmaker my whole life too but I'm sick of that & would rather show off my boards. Thanks Brad

Brad Tucker
06-01-2007, 3:59 PM
Hi Nancy,

I would like to but if the gathering you are referring to is during the show I will be too bussy. In addition to Mini Max I'm involved with a few other companies and I'll be spinning 100 plates all at once. Meet & Greets after & between hrs etc. Thanks very much though. I'll take you up on it someday.

Thanks Again

Brad

Nancy Laird
06-19-2007, 8:23 PM
I'm bumping this again to see if we have any more interest in the gathering.

Remember, Thursday, July 19, at PT's at the airport, 7:00 p.m.

Either post here or PM me with your name and spouse's name so I can make name tags. (Bob Michaels, are you reading this????)

Nancy

Jason Beam
06-19-2007, 8:39 PM
Weird, this is the first i'd seen this thread. I am going with my friend. Nancy, count us in for Thursday. My friend's not an SMC member, so you don't have to make him a nametag. His name's Gary Foster, though, if you decide you wanna anyway. :)

Nancy Laird
06-19-2007, 8:41 PM
Great!! Now we're cooking. Who else??

Nancy

Scott Thornton
06-20-2007, 1:12 AM
Where do you recommend staying for this? I might fly out for the weekend and attend on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks!

Nancy Laird
06-20-2007, 1:37 AM
Anywhere along the strip where you can find a room, north of Tropicana Blvd. The monorail runs behind the strip (to the east) from the MGM Grand (corner of Tropicana and Las Vegas Boulevard) north to the Sahara, and there's a stop right in front of the Convention Center. http://www.lvmonorail.com/ride/station_guide/. I'd suggest that you start RIGHT NOW searching for a room, as the place is going to fill up fast. You could conceivably end up staying downtown near Fremont Street. The company is putting us in the Luxor, which is south of Tropicana, so we're going to have to hoof it to the monorail station!!

Nancy

Nancy Laird
06-20-2007, 8:18 PM
Bump!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Denby
06-20-2007, 9:17 PM
:eek: Thanks for "bumping" this thread Nancy. I check in every day and somehow missed it until now.:confused: Also, thanks for co-ordinating it.
Since my wife loves the slotmachines.....she can play for hours on a penny slot:eek: This would be a great mini vacation for us both. I will check on flights and hotel rooms tomorrow.
Randy and Judy Denby

I'll call Mini Max for an invite .........I need to talk to Michael anyways, as he left me a message they were running specials on jointer/planer's a few days ago.

Art Stratemeyer
06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Just a quick note ... anyone going to AWFS ... take a moment to stop by the Cabinet Makers Association booth. This is a great association for small shops

Charles B Wilson
06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Art,

What booth number would that be?

Charles

Gary Keedwell
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi all,

Brad from Mini MAx here. Regarding Non-professionals attending the AWFS so I looked into this for one of my customers viewing this thread. I spoke to AWFS and asked them to e-mail me something I could post for this thread. Here it is:

Dear Mr. Tucker,

Thank you for contacting us about the 2007 AWFS Fair.

In order to attend the conference, a attendee must show something showing a relationship to the woodworking induatry. A letter from a exhibiting company on company letterhead inviting someone to attend in order to view their products will be accepted.

If you have any other questions, please call our Customer Service Department at 1-877-303-0711.

Thank you,

Carole R
Customer Service

Thats it. So you CAN quote me on this! Non-Pro's can get in! We want you all to come!!! If anyone here would like an invite contact us & we would be more than happy to e-mail you something you can print out.

Hope to see you all there! Brad T
MiniMax booth Central hall 5625
Hi...I sent you a PM a few days ago to get your e-mail letter...no response yet. Is there anybody out there that can get me a letter to get in or do you really need one. Might be in Vegas that week..big birthday for LOML. Gary K.

Nancy Laird
06-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Gary,

If you're in LV for AWFS, be sure to let us know and join us for the gathering on Thursday night.

Did you ever get your letter from Brad? Let me know; I may be able to help.

Nancy

Jason Beam
06-29-2007, 11:50 AM
I sent one, too and haven't heard. He must be out of town or something?

Bob Michaels
07-05-2007, 3:28 PM
Hi Nancy, Do we have a time and place for our Creeker dinner at AWFS. It would also be great to get a list of Creekers who will be at the dinner. Thanks.

Bob

Nancy Laird
07-05-2007, 5:42 PM
Bob (and all interested Creekers):

Here's the list:

Bob and Helene Michaels
Az Fred
John and Denise Williams
John Hain
Jason Beam
Gary Foster
Randy and Judy Denby
Gary Wong and Wendy Gee
David Lavaneri
David and Nancy Laird
Mitchell and Janel Garnett

That looks like 17 so far, and I'm open to more attendees. However, ALL of the above attendees have special name tags, designed and lasered and finished by ME, and they are already packed away. I did make some extras, but any additions won't get their personalized special name tags. Sorry, folks. Since we are leaving Monday the 9th for LV, I just don't have time to make any more. Getting the booth together, crated and shipped, doing about 1000 things for the show, and doing our own preparations have us just about running ragged. Thank goodness for no more work for me until the 30th!!!!

The gathering will be at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, the 19th. Someone (I don't recall who) mentioned PTs near the airport, so I said it would be there. Then I got a PM from another someone (I again don't recall who) who said that there are more than one PTs "near the airport." So when I get to LV on the 11th and have time to poke around, I will confirm the place, with address, reserve a room, and advise everyone by either posting it here or with individual PMs.

Charles, the Cabinet Makers Association is in Booth 657. You can view the list of all of the exhibitors here: http://www.awfssupplierfinder.org/ExhibitorList2.asp?EXHID=15&ALPH=A.

I don't yet have a designation of which hall or which floor. The AWFS is taking up both the north and south halls of the Convention Center and I don't have a site map as yet, but I can check when I get there and get my exhibitor's package. I know that we are in the north hall, lower level, "in the back" next to the belt-sander races, Booth 10168. I'll be the one with the turning tool in my hand!! That's a gloat of the first order. I've been asked to demonstrate the midi-lathe at the AWFS and will be turning pens and, maybe, a bowl at the show.

Any Creekers who haven't responded as yet who want to come to the dinner, PLEASE let me know and I'll add your name(s) to the list, and please be sure to come to see me in the WWS Booth, #10168.

See you in Vegas!!

Nancy

Bob Michaels
07-05-2007, 7:21 PM
Thanks, Nancy.

Bob

John Hain
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Anyone receive their tickets yet?

(Or do we pick them up in Vegas?)

Daniel Mercuro
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm quite new to "the creek",but it seems like most of the folks here are sensble,competent,and talented.So why do so many of you want to meet Norm?Don't get me wrong,he's a talented and skilled guy but if I could somehow get to the show (and get in) a meet-and-greet with Norm would be low on my to do list.

Bob Michaels
07-06-2007, 9:22 AM
Anyone receive their tickets yet?

(Or do we pick them up in Vegas?)

Received mine 10 days ago.

Nancy Laird
07-06-2007, 9:57 AM
John, did you order your tickets before June 25? If so, you can go here:
https://www3.compusystems.com/servlet/AttendeeRegLoginServlet?evt_uid=216
to check on your status. If it was after June 25, your tickets will be waiting in LV.

Nancy

John Hain
07-06-2007, 2:25 PM
John, did you order your tickets before June 25? If so, you can go here:
https://www3.compusystems.com/servlet/AttendeeRegLoginServlet?evt_uid=216
to check on your status. If it was after June 25, your tickets will be waiting in LV.

Nancy

Registered May 30th. I emailed them today to see what's going on.....

Charles B Wilson
07-08-2007, 9:13 PM
Thanks Nancy,

I was hoping Art would take the opportunity to elaborate some...

Be careful on the south end of the Strip. If it's not a car bomb it's a shooting. What will be next?

On a serious note, it will be warm for the show. Dress for the heat and take precautions.

Charles

P.S.
I will arrive at the Sahara the 13th

Nancy Laird
07-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the concern, Charles. This is our second stint in Vegas in July at AWFS and, to be perfectly honest, we aren't looking forward to "7 days in July." Two years ago, we arrived on Friday afternoon, and the powers-that-be didn't turn on any AC until Tuesday about noon. We worked for 4 cumulative days in the Convention Center with the temps hovering around 120 to put together the booth. This year, with the outside temps around 115 or better, we're looking forward to it being 125 or more inside. I think we are going to go through a LOT of water, and I'm hoping to sweat off about 15 pounds!!! Both LOML and I have shorts and tank tops to try to keep reasonably cool.

By the way, if you'll be there on the 13th, you MUST plan to join the Creeker gathering at PTs on the 19th, at 7:00. I already have all the name tags made and packed away, but I also have some blanks we can use if you and your spouse and/or cohorts want to join us. Just let me know by PM or here (I'll be checking this thread regularly), and I can add you to the list.

John, did you get your tickets yet????

Nancy

Charles B Wilson
07-08-2007, 11:47 PM
From my experience there will be no AC for setup. I will be upstairs in the central hall Saturday and Sunday and I am not sure what it will be like. I am optimistic all the big wigs will have it some what cool.

BTW be sure and stop by the Student Competition display, from what I have seen it will be great.

I am afraid my Thursday will be booked solid, I have the AWFS awards dinner and the CMA "Round Table" dinner that night at the same time.

Good luck with setup and load in, If I get free before the show opens I will try and stop by.

Charles

Art Stratemeyer
07-09-2007, 7:20 AM
Hi Charles,

Sorry but have been swamped here trying to get commissions out so I can make time to go to the show.

The CMA booth number is #657

You can see info about the CMA at www.cabinetmakers.org

John Hain
07-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Nancy,

They remailed them for me. I can always have them reprint some at the convention center I'm told.

I should be good to go. Good luck in that heat!

John A. Williams
07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Denise and I will not be going to Vegas. She can not get the time off and I will be going to Yellowstone instead. Tough decision, but one I had to make. I hope everyone has a great time. I know i did two years ago. Please say to Norm for me. A report would be greatly appreciated, especially about Delta's big news and Grizzley's big news.
John

Nancy Laird
07-10-2007, 9:46 PM
Bob and Helene Michaels
Az Fred
Jason Beam
Gary Foster
Randy and Judy Denby
Gary Wong and Wendy Gee
David Lavaneri
Mitchell and Janel Garnett

and any other interested parties.

The party is set.

The party is set for Thursday, July 19, at 7:00 p.m., at PT's Gold, 1661 Sunset Road, Las Vegas. Jerry Abbott, the Manager, has set aside on of the "pods" for our group, and there are floor-to-ceiling windows facing the runways at the airport so we can watch the planes land and take off. Unfortunately, we've had a couple of cancellations from the list from last week (John and Denise Williams and John Hain can't attend the party), but I'm going to be recruiting when the show is going on.

See you on the 19th!!!

By the way, when we went to the Convention Center today, we were advised that the WWS booth is NOT in the north hall, but in the Central hall. The powers-that-be gave us bum information. The booth number - 10168 - is correct, so stop by and see us.

Nancy