PDA

View Full Version : I finished my cherry bed (at last)

Matt Woodworth
01-04-2004, 2:37 AM
Friends,

I've been hacking away at this mission style bed nearly every day for about three months now. It's the first step in furnishing the master bedroom in my house. If you click on the picture it will take you to the page of my web site that details the building process.

http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/images/woodworking/cherry_bed/DCP_1965_small.jpg (http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/projects/cherry_bed/)

Glenn Clabo
01-04-2004, 7:01 AM
Matt,
That is some nice work...and the sawhorse holder downer is some cute too.:D

Marc Hills
01-04-2004, 7:22 AM
Spectacular job Matt! Man, you must be proud. I really enjoyed your website too. The pictures and narrative were really informative, and I appreciate the construction tips, like bicycle inner tubes as clamps and using white glue during tricky glue ups.

So the question we all have is, after the luxury of working wood daily for three months, are you going to take a break? If yes, please advise us of the reason:

1) Because you actually do need a breather from the woodshop
2) Your lovely wife has threatened mutiny if you don't spend some time with the rest of the family.

Cheers

Mike Cutler
01-04-2004, 9:02 AM
Matt. That's a very nice looking bed. It's evident from the picture of it, and the photo-essay on your site that alot of care and attention went into the project. Sounds like you had some fun with the Lock Mitre bit too, as have others. Once again, nice job on the bed, and nice job to your "helpers" also.

Matt Woodworth
01-04-2004, 10:11 AM
So the question we all have is, after the luxury of working wood daily for three months, are you going to take a break? If yes, please advise us of the reason:

1) Because you actually do need a breather from the woodshop
2) Your lovely wife has threatened mutiny if you don't spend some time with the rest of the family.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Here are my answers.

1) Nah, my next task is to paint the shop. After that I'll probably get started on a pair of nightstands.

2) I laughed when I read about the "luxury" of working on it daily. I typically start after 8:30 PM after we've put the kids to sleep and go until 10:00 or 11:00 PM. By working after the kids are sleeping it doesn't really take away from the family. Also, I sort of exaggerated when I said, "every day". It was probably more like 5 or 6 days a week.

Dick Parr
01-04-2004, 11:45 AM
That is a very beautiful bed Matt. The time and effort shows in the end product.

Jim Becker
01-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Matt, that's an outstanding effort...be proud! From looking at the construction pictures, it's not hard to imagine how much work you put into this bed and the results are excellent. I look forward to seeing the accompanying pieces as they come along!

Pam Niedermayer
01-04-2004, 3:56 PM
Very nice job, Matt. Know what you mean about cutting lots of small mortises. I built a craftsman rocker a couple months ago, the mortises about wore me out. At the same time, I built my first commissioned piece which required 150 slats/stiles, cutting 300 tiny mortises was brutal. So I decided to acquire a mortiser, a foot operated, very old, version, will pick it up later this week. The advantage is the chisels are like hand mortising chisels, not hollow mortisers.

Pam

Lloyd Robins
01-04-2004, 5:31 PM
Wonderful job and a beautiful bed! Thanks for posting.

John Miliunas
01-04-2004, 7:40 PM
Simply gorgeous, Matt and, a great walk-thru of the process, as well! Sheeesh...I'm torn between being inspired and being depressed, because my Neander skills will never match that! Thanks for posting. Great job! :cool:

Matt Woodworth
01-04-2004, 8:05 PM
Thank you for the kind words everybody.

John: I wouldn't get too depressed if you're thinking I'm some sort of talented neanderthal. Like the pictures in playboy, photography can cover up a lot. :)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-04-2004, 9:20 PM
Matt, Great job on the bed and great presentation. Nice looking family too. Thanks for the good pictures and descriptions. Very well done.

Lars Thomas
01-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Matt, Nice bed, nice site. Seems like you probably spent as much time taking pictures as you did actually building the bed. ;) . . .But i suspect alot of folks will take the time to review your pixs to get some ideas of their own. Nice job. Lars

Clay Craig
01-08-2004, 9:59 AM
Really nice work, I also appreciate the effort in documenting it.

You mentioned measuring tape, and making a 1/8" allowance for the 'tip.' I was taught that the reason the tip on every metal tape is a little loose is so it can slide enough to account for its own thickness. That is, if you're pulling, the tip is extended and the tape is accurate. If 'pushing' to make an inside dimension measurement, the tip slides 'in' just enough that it's accurate that way too. Maybe no need to make the adjustment you refer to?

'Course, the brass-extension folding rule feels nicer anyway ...

Clay

Eric Naessens
01-14-2004, 4:30 PM
Spectacular job on the bed, Matt. I've been following your progress since I found your website (came across your workbench first) and am happy for you that it came out so well. Incidentally, I was debating between a plan similar to yours or another sleigh-style for mine and my wife's bedroom, and your play-by-play on the process was extremely helpful. While I'm most impressed with how yours looks, the thought of 50+ hours on the rails and stiles helped push me toward the sleigh plan. :) Again, excellent job and thanks for the pics and detailed report.