PDA

View Full Version : Bowls from cherry stump/root

Marc Martindale
05-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I haven't done much on the lathe lately but I got busy the past couple of days...

This cherry bowl was turned from a piece of stump wood from a friend's burn pile. It's the first one I felt like putting my name on the bottom of...

It's 6" in diameter and 2" high, It should have been deeper, but I was trying to get rid of the punky spot you can see on the bottom of it. I should have just left it in as I never did get it all out. It probably would have been closer to 3" high with a more natural curve to it rather than a side and a bottom.

The second bowl was made from the same piece of Cherry as the last one. It's 5" x 2". I went ahead and left the punky stuff in it, and used CA to firm it up. This bowl gave me nothing but trouble on the inside concave sides, so I quit before I ruined it. I was going to try for thinner sides than the 1/4" ones I have on it and the other bowl.

I just got the Ellsworth PM bowl gouge and watched his video, used the gouge and the techniques on these. Except on the inside of the smaller one where I was using a scraper to finish it.

Both pieces have outstanding grain pattern due to it being from the stump area. Finished with Danish oil and Beall Buffed.

Thanks for looking.

Nancy Laird
05-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Marc, both of these bowls are just beautiful - wild grain really moving around. But I truly like the form of the second one. It just grabs me.

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Nice work on both bowls Marc! I like the finish, each of the forms and you managed to highlight the grain in each as well. Again, nice work!

Jonathon Spafford
05-16-2007, 2:28 AM
Look beautiful to me... they have awesome finishes and the wood is spectacular! Great job, Marc!

George Van
05-16-2007, 9:37 AM
Hey Marc, good to see you posting these bowls, that is some great grain pattern and would have been a shame to stay in the firewood pile. The finish looks great as do the beads in the foot. Do you go to the new AAW group in Wausau?

Paul Engle
05-16-2007, 9:43 AM
Nice bowls Marc, I like the second one also, great shape even better save!! Good call on the finish , oil really brings out the grain.

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2007, 9:43 AM
Marc those are a couple of beauties. Very nicely done. I really like the wood. It has a lot going on in it.

Mark Pruitt
05-16-2007, 1:08 PM
Nicely done! One of these days I need to head over to my boss' house to harvest the root and bottom 3-4 feet of a cherry tree. Seeing your pics makes me look forward to it all the more.

John Timberlake
05-17-2007, 8:38 AM
Nice job on a terrific piece of wood.

Ken LaSota
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Nice job Marc a lot going on in those bowls.You never know what you will find in the wood pile.
Ken

David Tiell
05-17-2007, 6:06 PM
Nice save from the burn pile! Great grain, nice finish, and I really like the shape and the contrast of the "punky" stuff in the second!

Art Mulder
05-17-2007, 7:16 PM
Ditto what Nancy said... I really like the shape of the second one.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-17-2007, 7:20 PM
What Art said.....:D

Marc Martindale
05-19-2007, 5:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words!