PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Driver & Firmware Update

Dave Fifield
05-15-2007, 8:19 PM
Just got this email from Epilog about a driver/firmware update.

Peck et al, the question I have is "Which should I update first, the driver or the laser firmware?" Does it matter?

Cheers,
Dave Fifield

http://www.epiloglaser.com/images/dots_445.jpg
Epilog Mini, Helix & EXT Driver and Firmware Update
Epilog Laser has released a new version of the driver and firmware for your Epilog Mini, Helix, and EXT laser systems.

Driver Upgrade:

Adds center-to-center, center-to-top, and center-to- left engraving to the system.
Download the instructions for using Center-Center Engraving (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=omkb64bab.0.vtic64bab.czsadvn6.2991&ts=S0251&p=%2Fdownloads%2Fcenter_center_engraving.pdf). Important! This new driver requires a firmware update to your machine to work properly.
Firmware Upgrade:

Adds center-to-center, center-to-top, and center-to- left engraving to the system.
Enhancements to the USB connection make the connection much more robust and easy to set up.
Adds Relocateable X-Axis home position for the Rotary Attachment.
Laser Tickle: Enhancements have been made to the way CO2 laser tubes pre-ionize. This change can be set by the user and will ensure that the laser tube fires immediately, even after having set idle for long periods of time.
To access Mode and Intensity on the EXT, use the Calibration menu and scroll to Laser T.M. for Mode and Laser T.I. for Intensity. To access Mode and Intensity on the Mini and Helix press the RESET + Up keys simultaneously. To access Intensity, press the RESET + Down keys simultaneously.
Settings of 1 and 1 typically control any cold start issues.
To download the new firmware and drivers for the Mini/Helix, go to www.epiloglaser.com/downloads_minihelix.htm . (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=6lnunqbab.0.0.czsadvn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epiloglaser.com%2Fdownloads_min ihelix.htm)
To download the new firmware and drivers for the EXT, go to www.epiloglaser.com/downloads_ext.htm. (http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads_ext.htm.)

Bill Cunningham
05-15-2007, 9:00 PM
Just a quick note:
If you get a 'page not found' error, take the period off the end of the url

Peck Sidara
05-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Dave,

Doesn't matter which you do first. A few notes:

Firmware is real easy to upload, I say do the driver first, firmware last.
Be prepared to update your configuration data files. Use Configmerge 2.0
Be really CAREFUL using the new center-center engraving function, it's so easy and so handy, it's addicting!Regards,

Shane Turner
05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey that's for the heads up on the new drivers! :D

I installed the firmware, deleted to old driver (printer), then installed the new driver (printer). Works just fine. Must say it's a great functional improvement. Nice going Epilog.

Just a question. Does anyone have any information about the new "Laser Tickle" functionality. It says I can change the Mode and Intensity, but I have no idea what altering this will do?

Frank Corker
05-16-2007, 4:45 AM
I'm with Shane on this one. They mentioned it but never went any further. From what I read it was something to do with tickling the laser to fire at it's most optimum as soon as you hit the button. I assumed it was going to do that anyway.
This is what they say the new firmware and drivers will allow

Enhancements to the USB connection make the connection much more robust and easy to set up.
Adds Relocateable X-Axis home position for the Rotary Attachment.
Laser Tickle: Enhancements have been made to the way CO2 laser tubes pre-ionize. This change can be set by the user and will ensure that the laser tube fires immediately, even after having set idle for long periods of time.
To access Mode and Intensity on the EXT, use the Calibration menu and scroll to Laser T.M. for Mode and Laser T.I. for Intensity. To access Mode and Intensity on the Mini and Helix press the RESET + Up keys simultaneously. To access Intensity, press the RESET + Down keys simultaneously.
Settings of 1 and 1 typically control any cold start issues.

Jeff Chumbley
05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Peck, I take it this does not include the 24TT?

Peck Sidara
05-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Jeff,

Unfortunately not. The new features are only available on the Mini/Helix/EXT and FiberMark systems.

Regards,

Peck Sidara
05-16-2007, 3:35 PM
Shane & Frank,

The settings for the new laser tickle are noted but doesn't go into detail as it's a setting that customers typically shouldn't adjust. The mode setting determines if the tickle signal is on or off. The intensity setting determines the amount of time the tickle is on for. For all intent and purposes the default settings are 1 & 1. The defaults are preloaded when the firmware is uploaded.

Only if you have a delay in laser fire after uploading the firmware should you contact technical support to determine what the ideal setting should be adjusted to.

Ed Maloney
05-16-2007, 3:42 PM
Dave,

Doesn't matter which you do first. A few notes:
Firmware is real easy to upload, I say do the driver first, firmware last.
Be prepared to update your configuration data files. Use Configmerge 2.0
Be really CAREFUL using the new center-center engraving function, it's so easy and so handy, it's addicting!Regards,

Peck - Are there any "undocumented" features and/or fixes with this upgrade? I'm a little hesitant to upgrade since I would like to keep the same playing field while I 'm experimenting with some new techniques. If I do the upgrade and something I do doesn't work, I won't know if it's the new firmware or new approach.

Frank Corker
05-16-2007, 5:13 PM
Ed, there have been no problems with my Helix and the change over was straightforward and nothing to worry about. The new feature that they have added is a GODSEND, the centre/centre just takes any worry out of put an engraving in a particular spot and using the laser pointer to pinpoint it has worked 100% accuracy. Worth installing for that feature alone.

One annoying thing that used to happen to me (all to regular as well) was I would start Corel, then turn on the laser, send the job and it wouldn't find the USB. Always required me to switch off and restart the laser. Touch wood and up until now it has found it every time since I upgraded firmware/software. So far only improvement :D

Shane Turner
05-16-2007, 5:47 PM
Shane & Frank,

The settings for the new laser tickle are noted but doesn't go into detail as it's a setting that customers typically shouldn't adjust. The mode setting determines if the tickle signal is on or off. The intensity setting determines the amount of time the tickle is on for. For all intent and purposes the default settings are 1 & 1. The defaults are preloaded when the firmware is uploaded.

Only if you have a delay in laser fire after uploading the firmware should you contact technical support to determine what the ideal setting should be adjusted to.

Thanks Peck. That answered my questions. Much appreciated.

Peck Sidara
05-16-2007, 6:08 PM
Ed,

I understand the concern. Epilog's pretty good about documenting all changes as along as they're significant and will affect the operation of the machine. With that being said, I don't beleive you'll see any changes to the operation of the machine you currently have. You're machine is fully functiional with the current driver/firmware you currently have installed, waiting until your preliminary testing is complete is also an option.

Scott Shepherd
05-17-2007, 1:12 PM
Pay close attention if you use the Merge program to convert your old .DAT files. I could select all my files, but when I did, the merge function was not available. I had to select 6 at a time, and on several tries, when I had 6 selected, it gave me the message that 3 files were merged. I had to double check all my existing files to make sure they were actually updated.

No big deal, but pay attention if you have .DAT files, as some of them might not get converted.

Dave Fifield
05-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I just did the update to the driver without any trouble, then tried to do the firmware update. Everything went smoothly, I thought, and I dutifully re-booted my EXT when told to do so. It came ON, but now has a permanently fixed message that says "System Error!" and "Please Reprogram" on the display!!! No button pushing seems to make any difference. Rebooting again makes no difference. Sending the firmware update to it does not work - the print job times out with an error.

I left a voicemail on the Epilog Tech Support line, but it appears no one is there until 6am MT on Monday. That doesn't help me much - I'd like to use my laser THIS WEEKEND!!!

Anybody got any ideas for me to try that might un-stick it?

HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Fifield
05-20-2007, 12:57 AM
OK, so I installed the EXT as a USB printer instead of an Ethernet networked one and I was able to download the hex update file to it - the one that I downloaded from the EXT page on the Epilog website last week - which was labelled version 1.0.1.8.

This did exactly the same thing as before - "System Error!" + "Please Re-program!" on the display after a re-boot. NBG!

So, just in case, I went to the Epilog website again to re-download the new firmware. Imagine my surprise when I see that NOW the version that's there is version 1.0.1.4, not 1.0.1.8!!!!

So, I downloaded it, unzipped it, and sent it on over to my EXT, and IT WORKS!!! Well, almost.....the laser engraver is now alive again, BUT I STILL CAN'T USE IT because the CAL menu values were all zero'd out!!!

The serial number read 00999 (but I managed to change it to the original setting which luckily I remembered), the IP/mask I was able to change to my normal settings, BUT, in the CAL menu, my X and Y home and R home positions are all now 0,0 which is WRONG, and all my other settings - laser match, stamp match, encoder X match, encoder Y match, and laser TM and TI - are all ZERO too!!!

I have NO IDEA what these settings are supposed to be or how to re-cal the machine!!! Certainly, since the laser home position is all screwed up there's no way I can use it still.

How the heck am I going to get these values all set tonight? Any ideas?

Also, has anyone any idea how come I managed to download a "rogue" version of the firmware that doesn't work?!

Frank Corker
05-20-2007, 4:48 AM
Hi Dave, sorry about your problems there, I have been searching everywhere for the email I was sent from the driver update centre to see if I can find the EXT one but can't find it (I will keep looking). I think all the drivers listed on the email were update ones so the 1_0_1_8.exe might be shown on that. I'm suprised that all the other users with the EXT haven't been able to give you a copy of theirs.

I did have a few occasions where I had ethernet and USB conflicts. All I can think is maybe the remnants of the 'wrong' install you had are still lodged in your system. (If you look in your windows directory you should find a folder marked Epilog drivers where it sends them to when you unwrap them for the first time).

I would (if it were me) completely remove the Epilog drivers and reinstall from your original install discs, that should at least put the settings back to the originals. Then I would try to reinstall 1_0_1_4.exe to see if it rectifies your problem.

I might be clutching at straws here for you but it's all I can suggest at the moment. In the mean time hopefully someone who owns an EXT will stepup with the correct files for you.

David Harvey
05-20-2007, 7:45 AM
Dave, sounds like you're not having a good day....I did my update yesterday and it went ok. Seeing the fix you are in I'm including all of my CAL settings from my EXT below. Maybe it will help get you at least close to what you need. I'm sure that some, or most, of these settings are going to be different for each system. Hope this helps....

CAL
X Home: -0426
Y Home: +0000
X R Home: +0260
Y R Home: -0710
Laser Match: -01
Stamp Match: +00
Encode Match: x +08, y +44
Laser T.M & T.I: 0
Focus Adj: +0039

Dave Fifield
05-20-2007, 4:03 PM
Thanks Frank and David! Frank, I don't think the CAL menu values are stored in the drivers/on the original CD that came with the laser....I will double check though, just in case.

I think what happened is that Epilog somehow had the wrong file up on the EXT update webpage for a short time (when I downloaded it!) and it stomped over the CAL values etc. in my machine.

I'm sure the values I need are specific to my particular machine. I'm guessing that Epilog kept a record (at production test time) of the settings they programmed in my EXT and will be able to give me the values on Monday morning when they open for business. Let's hope so! I'd hate to have to wait longer - e.g. to have someone come out and re-calibrate my machine!

BTW, David, you probably want to set the Laser T.I. and T.M. values to 1, per Peck's advice earlier in this thread.

There's a lesson to be learned here: WRITE DOWN THE VALUES IN YOUR CAL MENU - you may need them later!!

Carol VanArnam
05-20-2007, 5:33 PM
WOW sorry for all of the stress. I always wait on these updates to down load them. I figure the folks that download them as soon as they happen are really just TESTERS. YOU are the folks who find all the things Epilog missed and have to fix. I'll wait a few more days before I give it a shot....

I know when I updated one upgade it set my settings to -0- so I could not use my rotary device. WOW was I ticked. I learned from that to never do upgrades on the weekend only when I know Epilog Tech support is available. My stress level went down when I did that. ....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well I hope you finally get it fixed......

Frank Corker
05-20-2007, 7:15 PM
Carol I have a Helix same as you, ours are fine, no problems only improvements as far as I'm concerned.

Dave I can't find the original email so unfortunately all I can do is offer my best wishes that they have what you need in the morning

Larry Bratton
05-20-2007, 8:42 PM
I have not used the CtoC feature yet, I read up on what it does and it is a very good addition. It will be very useful. I haven't had this machine but a short time (6 weeks) and I have been turning things over in my feeble brain trying to figure out to do the things that the feature allows one to do. I'm going to test it out tomorrow on a couple of projects I have to do.

Has anyone else used it yet? Does it work as expected?

Dave Jones
05-20-2007, 11:13 PM
BTW, David, you probably want to set the Laser T.I. and T.M. values to 1, per Peck's advice earlier in this thread.

That only needs to be enabled if your laser is new enough to have that "non-firing after sitting for a few days" problem. That should only affect lasers from the last year plus a bit. Older ones don't have that issue so don't need that fix. (mine is from 2005 and fires instantly even if sitting for a week)

Dave Fifield
05-21-2007, 4:33 PM
I spoke to Epilog Tech Support this morning. They dug out my laser's CAL settings and read them to me over the phone. I programmed them into the laser and bob's-your-uncle it works just fine again....PHEW!!

I have written the values in my manual just in case!

The tech support fellow (who's name I didn't get) said they had indeed had the wrong file up on the website for a short while just after the update email went out. I must have been too quick to download it. Next time I'll wait a while.....

Peck Sidara
05-21-2007, 5:34 PM
Dave,

Sorry to hear of all your difficulties this weekend. I'm glad you got it worked out.

Our webmaster is currently out of the office attending the Maker's Faire in San Francisco, he's been out since last Thursday. The firmware and driver has been the same since it was last uploaded last Wednesday prior to him leaving. I'm not sure how the firmware would've changed.

Additionally, the firmware 1.0.1.8 would be a newer version that's not even out yet so I'm not sure how that would be available?? Weird indeed.

I'm sure this mishap caused your blood pressure to rise this weekend so my apologies for that, I just can't figure out why the upgrade didn't work for you.

Peck

Pete Simmons
05-21-2007, 5:41 PM
Prior to the upgrade 60% of the time the computer would fail to see the laser (USB Device ). I had even tried a new USB board sometime back with no improvement.

Since the new upgrade 100% USB connect upon laser turn on.

Thanks Epilog!!

Mini-18 35 watt

Dave Fifield
05-21-2007, 7:50 PM
Peck,

If you like, I could send you a copy of the rogue 1.0.1.8 firmware that I downloaded so you could do some investigating as to how it got on the website. Let me know. I simply clicked on the link provided in the update email, chose the firmware and driver updates for the EXT and downloaded them. I did this almost immediately the email arrived.

Anyway, I'm up and running again, which is all that really matters. Thanks again to you and your tech team!

Cheers,

David Harvey
05-21-2007, 9:20 PM
Hey David, glad to see that Epilog got you up and going! ...doesn't surprise me at all as they are always on top of it! Great bunch.

Just for the heck of it, can you post the settings they gave you? I would be curious just to see the differences...:cool:

Peck Sidara
05-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Dave,

I would definitely like to have our people take a look at that firmware. Please email it to me at pecks at epiloglaser dot com.

Thx.

Dave Fifield
05-22-2007, 1:41 AM
Peck - I'd be happy to oblige. I'll send both the zipped version and the hex file.

David - here are my settings:

X Home = -430
Y Home = +124
X R Home = +178
Y R Home = -519
Laser Match = +7
Stamp Match = +15
Encoder Match X = +11
Encoder Match Y = +48
Laser T.M. = +1
Laser T.I. = +1
Focus Adj. = +71

As you see, there is quite a bit of difference between your settings and mine....I'm glad they keep good records at Epilog! :)

Cheers,

Roy Brewer
05-22-2007, 11:34 PM
...Center/Center origin... Does it work as expected?Larry,
To most, it will probably work as expected. However to those coming from traditional mechanical engraving software, it might be confusing. Since it is not yet well documented, let me explain how it works.
The operator positions the diode pointer at the visual center of object to be engraved and presses the Set Home button.

When lasered, the graphic objects in your drawing program will be centered on the origin just set.

Caution: By contrast, all engraving software, with which I am familiar, centers its Page size on the engraved object.

Let me say it a different way to nail down the difference. Regardless of the page size and position of the graphic objects on the page, the driver finds/measures the extents of the graphics and puts the center of the graphics at the user set origin.

While the Center/Center will probably be the most used, the driver also provides Center/Top and Left/Center settings which will be useful in several scenarios.

HTH,

Larry Bratton
05-23-2007, 7:36 PM
Roy:
Yes, thanks for the reply. I understand the concept and what it is supposed to do. The point of my question was ..Does it really work as intended? I haven't had occasion to use it yet, so I thought I would direct the question to some of our learned members that have actually used it.