PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12" jointer feedback?

Joe Jensen
05-15-2007, 4:41 PM
I'm considering a 12" jointer. I haven't been able to find one first hand to check out. I know a few on this forum got a great deal from Amazon a few months ago. Can you share your experience? Is it worth spending for Delta, or just get some import?..joe

Todd Solomon
05-15-2007, 5:01 PM
Hi Joe,

I've got the Grizzly Ultimate 12" jointer (their high-end model), and highly recommend it. Extremely flat and parallel tables, heavy and rigid, heavy duty controls, very minimal vibration. Industrial quality. Grizzly also has a lower cost, new model, which I know nothing about.

Todd

Mike Heidrick
05-15-2007, 5:46 PM
I bought the DJ-30. I love it. Recently it was 2K or so on amazon and it seems to hit a low price point at around 10pm-2am on Friday nights.

It is a very heavy machine and when I use it just plane works. Tables are very very flat and the fence is very straight. I bought the 3phase version and have it wired up with the FM50 AC Drive and it works perfectly.

Things I would change. It has a large fence tube on the rear and sticks out quite a ways on the rear of the jointer. Also I think I like the nice rotating front handles on the ShopFox 1744 design nicer than the DJ30 bars and also I believe the SF has 4 blades instead of three.

The beautiful thing about ordering from amazon is sometimes you can get free shipping - even on this bad boy. That shipping comes with lift gate, all you have to do is ask for it when they schedule your delivery.

I will be perfectly happy with my DJ-30 though for a very very long time.

Mike Heidrick
05-15-2007, 5:48 PM
Be careful though - you will get hooked on the big boy delta tools and the amazon deals on them.

Next up was a 5hp 50-903 cyclone for $750 and the DC580 20" planer for $2100.

Joe Jensen
05-15-2007, 6:05 PM
Mike, the specs say the machine is 28" front to back. Does that seem correct? I have a tight space (if I want to still fit a car in the garage) as I keep it on a side wall. How far from the wall would the front of the machine be, 28" ?

Mike Heidrick
05-15-2007, 6:20 PM
I will measure for you tonight to be sure.

Joe Jensen
05-15-2007, 7:43 PM
Mike, how would you rate the "quality" relative to your Sawstop? Equal, better, worse? Why? thanks...joe

Dick Latshaw
05-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Is it worth spending for Delta, or just get some import?..joe

And where exactly do you think that Delta is made? (Not to offend anyone, my table saw is an import - General 350:))

Dana Van Pelt
05-15-2007, 10:42 PM
my Delta 12" jointer is six years old and is used just about every day here at the school. Nice unit, flat tables, easy to change knives, and I have had no service problems to date.

Mike
American Sycamore

Mike Heidrick
05-15-2007, 11:24 PM
OK, if you have the fence so the entire 12" of the table is exposed the depth is 39"s frome the back of the tube to the front of the rabbet ledge.

As far as quality, the machine is industrial - period. Super stable and beefy and just plain has mass. I would think this would be the case with al 12" jointers though.

As far as how does it compare to the sawstop - sawstop is a top performing cabinet saw and super easy to adjust and a pleasure to use. The requirements are not as high for me on a jointer but the Delta jointer is an outstanding piece of machinery.

Wish Delta made the sawstop - I seem to have built a very very delta shop. All the LARGE tools are delta now except the cabinet and radial arm saw and bandsaw (14" bandsaw is not large though).

Dick Sylvan
05-16-2007, 12:25 AM
You ought to consider the Hammer 12" jointer/ planer combo. It's relatively compact, you get two machines in one (and one footprint) and I think it's currently about $3500. It's made in Austria. FWW gave it a great review an issue or so ago.

Joe Jensen
05-16-2007, 12:44 AM
You ought to consider the Hammer 12" jointer/ planer combo. It's relatively compact, you get two machines in one (and one footprint) and I think it's currently about $3500. It's made in Austria. FWW gave it a great review an issue or so ago.

I've looked closely at combo machines, but I would have to completely change my workflow. I currently jump from jointer to planer a ton. I'm convinced that if I didn't change my workflow I'd grow to have the changeover...joe

Mike Heidrick
05-16-2007, 11:22 PM
The Delta 22-451 DC-580 20" planer sold last Friday night for $2100 (plus $299 shipping) and the 3phase Delta 37-360 DJ-30 12" jointer is for sale right now for $2081 (free shipping) so for ~$1000 more than a combo you end up with a super nice 12" jointer and an industrial 20" planer shipped to your house with liftgate included. Takes up a lot more room but if that is not an issue I would look into the Amazon sales.

The grizzly combo may be the machine to beat though when price is factored in.