PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with end-grain NE

Patrick Taylor
05-15-2007, 4:02 PM
A week or so ago I turned this from a wet box elder branch. It's mostly dry (fairly thin, about 1/4") and about 5 inches across. I turned the bottom completely round so that it can "wobble".

I like the shape, so I plan on finishing it, but I just know that pith will be a pain in the rear to sand. As you can see, I CA'd it before drying, just because. Any suggestions on achieving a good finish on such a soft nasty pith?

Patrick Taylor
05-15-2007, 4:05 PM
Here's a better picture of the pith.

Jim Becker
05-15-2007, 4:09 PM
Patrick, it's more or less a "time will tell" situation. Assuming you turned this piece uniformly thin, you have a reasonably good chance for it to work out fine. I wouldn't worry too much about some slight radial cracking around the pith and if they start to extend hit them with a little more CA to try and stop it. Once it's fully dry, remount to sand (or hand sand) and finish...you do want to sand off all the CA on the surface for best results.

Patrick Taylor
05-15-2007, 4:13 PM
I plan on hand-sanding. The thickness is uniform, and cracks are OK too. I'm mostly concerned about sanding the pith to not look fuzzy and gross, since it's so soft. Any special techniques? Just a lot of elbow grease?

Jonathon Spafford
05-16-2007, 2:17 AM
I've heard thinned laquer for soft spots works really well, (50/50 laquer and laquer thinner) so you might try that for the pith! Anyway, I really like the looks of this bowl has a neat shape! A little cracking might add some character! I'll be looking forward to seeing finished pix!

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2007, 9:54 AM
Patrick that is a beauty. I think the lacquer/lacquer thinner might just work for the pith.