PDA

View Full Version : I think I did OK-Drum Sander (gloat)

John Miliunas
01-03-2004, 11:39 PM
After some discussion with LOML, we finally decided that I would take a chance on the Delta Drum Sander I saw on sale locally. There were enough positive comments on it here at SMC, as well as other sources I found. We figured it would do a good enough job for now and still leave me some funds for a couple other items on my "list".

The store flyer showed what appears to be the 31-250. Once at the store, that's what they had on display. The regular price was shown as $799.00. OK, pretty much what I expected. I figured they were trying to get rid of the last of the old stock. Grabbed a pickup ticket and payed for it, though I noticed on the ticket, it read 31-255x. Whatever. Went to the pickup dock and the guy helped me load it. Sure enough, there on the side of the plain brown box was the Delta logo with 31-255X on it! :D

At home, once out of the box, I did indeed find it's the newest version, the 31-255x5! Cool! And, complete with the paperwork to send in for my free tool and the Delta discount book! (I'm opting for the PC 690LR as the freebie tool!)

All in all, me thinks I did OK. I did set it up, but haven't run anything through it yet, as I still have to pipe in the DC system to it. I'll get some type of mini-review out here once that's done. FWIW, assembly was very straightforward, easy and quick. Great instructions and when powered up, nice and smooth. :cool:

Jim Becker
01-03-2004, 11:42 PM
X-cellent gloat! :D

Congrats on your new sander! Of course, now you'll have to learn how to clean your cyclone filters...hee hee

EliotMason
01-04-2004, 12:30 AM
John, you're starting to overload on new goodies! :D Sander, Bandsaw, Woodsucker, all this router table talk... I'm going to have to make the drive down to Spring Green and perform a shop inspection!

Not that I can spring the $ for one, but which place had this on sale? I'll need to watch them in the future.

John Miliunas
01-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Eliot, you'll definitely have to make the road trip out here! Nice drive and only about 40 min. away. I got my unit over at the Farm & Fleet on Stoughton Rd. I originally hit the Baraboo store yesterday, but they didn't have them delivered yet. They gave me a "rain check" and said they would call when the units came in. I couldn't wait.... :rolleyes: Anyhow, we're just NW of Spring Green, out towards Bear Valley. Like I said, beautiful countryside out this way, so stop on out! :cool:

Mike Evertsen
01-04-2004, 12:56 AM
I think you did good on the delta,,,,,,did you buy extra sanding strips???,,mine came with 80 grit I found out it was to course I went to 120 grit,,,,

John Miliunas
01-04-2004, 1:08 AM
I think you did good on the delta,,,,,,did you buy extra sanding strips???,,mine came with 80 grit I found out it was to course I went to 120 grit,,,,

Thanks Mike. The display unit didn't have any "comes with" description on it, so I grabbed a box of 120. Figured I'd use it regardless. But, as it happens, there's already an 80 mounted on the drum right out of the carton, plus a box each of 80 and 120, which come with the unit! I should be set on paper for a while. I'm not even sure I'll go with anything finer than the 120. That's what I have my Festool for! :D :cool:

Mike Evertsen
01-04-2004, 8:59 AM
you made out good I only got 80 grit on the machine,,,
I found using that big rubber eraser before starting and during a long run make the strips last longer and I also found pine glogs up the strips fast,,,,,,

Jim Becker
01-04-2004, 11:05 AM
I also found pine glogs up the strips fast,,,,,,

Simple Green can be used to clean up that glop from what I've heard. It works on saw blades and smaller sanding materials, so it should work on those strips, too. If I recall, you just soak them for awhile and then let them dry. But my feeble memory could be faulty!

Joe Tonich
01-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks Mike. The display unit didn't have any "comes with" description on it, so I grabbed a box of 120. Figured I'd use it regardless. But, as it happens, there's already an 80 mounted on the drum right out of the carton, plus a box each of 80 and 120, which come with the unit! I should be set on paper for a while. I'm not even sure I'll go with anything finer than the 120. That's what I have my Festool for! :D :cool:

John,

A friend bought me a box of 220 grit for my performax to sand a small birds-eye maple table top. You should see & feel the difference between 120 & 220 grits. Talk about hardly NO additional sanding required. :D (I hate sanding!!!)

Joe

John Miliunas
01-04-2004, 5:15 PM
John,

A friend bought me a box of 220 grit for my performax to sand a small birds-eye maple table top. You should see & feel the difference between 120 & 220 grits. Talk about hardly NO additional sanding required. :D (I hate sanding!!!)

Joe

Thanks for the tip, Joe. I might just go ahead and give that a try. I know the 80 grit leaves it rough as a cobb! Even, but doesn't lend itself to the "touchy-feely" kinda' sensation! :cool:

Jim Becker
01-04-2004, 9:30 PM
John, you'll want to be really careful with any grits above 150 or so...they can burn really easily on many species according to many folks. While you "can" use 180 or 220 grit belts, you may want to try and source "one" from wherever (maybe another owner) and try it out on the type of woods you use before you invest in a whole box. These drum sanders, as good as they are aren't really intended as finish sanders and you will probably get a better surface from a ROS and/or scrapers once the panels, et al, are leveled with the drum sander. This is what a whole bunch of folks who own these tools have told me over time and since many are folks I know to be pretty straight forward about such, I tend to believe them.