PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker or Benchdog Router Lift?

jason lambert
05-15-2007, 1:09 PM
I was all set on the Wodpecker percision router lift till I found it will not fit my table opening. So they also make a Quick Lift 350A which looks nice and will fit my 8 1/4X11 /34 opening. I like the fact that I can raise the router fast with the woodpecker. Howerver the benchdog seems more durable and looks more solid.

Which one should I get? :confused:

Paul Canaris
05-15-2007, 1:38 PM
Have not tried the first two you mentioned, but I am very h:) ppy with the Bench Dog.

Jim Becker
05-15-2007, 3:04 PM
Both are great lifts. I recently opted for the BenchDog...I've wanted one for years and it's about the beefiest thing going in this space.

jason lambert
05-15-2007, 3:13 PM
looks like the bench dog is definally more beefey and maybe a better lift.

The other thing about the bench dog the inside rings have 2 screws it looks like more of a pain than the woodpecker screw in spacers. Also this is going in a portable table so weight may not necessarly be a good thing I have to lift this up on a shelf when done with it.

Although I have had no feedback about the woodpecker so the benchdog may be the tried and true thing to go with. To bad the woodpecker is 100 dollars cheaper.

Dave Novak
05-15-2007, 3:18 PM
I installed the PRL just this this weekend, so I can't comment based on years of use, but from all my playing around, I think it's incredible. I'll report back hopefully after this weekend when I use it to dovetail several drawers.

Jim Becker
05-15-2007, 3:27 PM
The other thing about the bench dog the inside rings have 2 screws it looks like more of a pain than the woodpecker screw in spacers. Also this is going in a portable table so weight may not necessarly be a good thing I have to lift this up on a shelf when done with it.

The heavy metal insert rings for the BenchDog lift are not unlike those in shapers. They have 4 leveling screws which are not optional, but the rings can be used, (IMHO) without the two "hold down" screws if you have things leveled properly. Given they are made of steel, I'm using the two hold-down screws to avoid any chance that they could come in contact with a cutter revolving at 10-20K RPM if accidentally dislodged, however. It only takes a few seconds to remove the screws and that interval can also help you to pace your work safely.

glenn bradley
05-15-2007, 3:31 PM
Oooo, tough call. The BD relies on levelers from below as designed into their table. If you have the means to replicate this and their odd shaped plate opening to support them the BD is one heavy duty lift. Perhaps an owner will chime in but I believe you also must lock the height setting from below the table.

The QL locks when you extract the adjustment handle and has levelers built into the plate that are accessible from above the table. I have been looking at both extensively. Although I will have to modify my opening; I am leaning toward the QL at this point.

Benjamin Dahl
05-15-2007, 4:25 PM
jason, I have the woodpecker quicklift and like it. have not tried the bench dog but am sure it is good too. I found the woodpecker people to have good customer service and that is always a plus. also, i find that setting bit height to be easy as is switching out bits.
Ben

Brian Goodin
05-15-2007, 5:02 PM
Hey guys woodpecker now makes one for the bench dog tables it is the quick lift 350 #QL350ABD http://woodpeck.com

Ben Grunow
05-15-2007, 9:40 PM
BD lift locks from below with a well placed set screw. THe insert rings are heavy and I run mine without hold down screws as the fence sits over the edges of the ring in most cases.

I saw the BD and PRL next to each other and IIRC, the BD has 3 solid shafts that the router rides up and down on while the PRL only has 2. Seemed to me at the time that 3 would be required to resist the occasionally high horizontal forces on a router and not deflect.

It is horribly heavy though (only horrible if you have to move it more than once).

jason lambert
05-16-2007, 10:33 AM
After much thought I decided to order the woodpecker. What I gathered is if you are using it all the time the Benchdog is a heaver and a more durable lift. I am a home hobbiest and I just like the lookk of the Woodpecker also it has the quick rise feature to change bits and built in lock hight were the benchdog I would have to go under the table and is alot liter in my portable table. It just seems like a more refined lift. Thanks for all the feedback.

Byron Trantham
05-16-2007, 11:11 AM
After much thought I decided to order the woodpecker. What I gathered is if you are using it all the time the Benchdog is a heaver and a more durable lift. I am a home hobbiest and I just like the lookk of the Woodpecker also it has the quick rise feature to change bits and built in lock hight were the benchdog I would have to go under the table and is alot liter in my portable table. It just seems like a more refined lift. Thanks for all the feedback.

I have used the PRL for several years. I love the thing. The gear mechanism that you turn to raise and lower the unit striped about three years ago and I was prepared to buy a new part. No deal - it was replaced free! I use a 14.4 drill on low speed to raise and lower the thing. I couldn't be happier with the control.

Charlie T. Bear
06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I have used the PRL for several years. I love the thing. The gear mechanism that you turn to raise and lower the unit striped about three years ago and I was prepared to buy a new part. No deal - it was replaced free! I use a 14.4 drill on low speed to raise and lower the thing. I couldn't be happier with the control.

I have been researching both these lifts myself recently. I am fairly certain I am going with the Woodpecker. If someone has any more comments on the best lift to purchase please post it up. Thanks!

Oh yeah Bryon! Thats a GREAT idea with the drill to raise and lower! I gotta remember that! Thanks!:D

Jim Foster
06-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I have one, have not tried other brands.

This is an extremely well designed unit (I have a large PC router in it) You can adjust it to within .001 without fiddling.

The only issue I have is in leveling the base and the "cutter rings" (I don't know what they should be called) With four adjustment screws do not make a plane (3 points make a plane), so it's a pain to set perfectly flat in the table with no wiggle.

Otherwise, this unit is a great example of a well designed and manufactured product that is a pleasure to own. Also, it's "beefy," not like one of those "nice idea products" that ends up being made out of lightwight materials that don't support the product uses it was designed for.

Charlie T. Bear
06-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah I have a PC 7518 that is sittin there waiting for a lift! The dam thing is HEAVY! LOL!

glenn bradley
06-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I have been researching both these lifts myself recently. I am fairly certain I am going with the Woodpecker. If someone has any more comments on the best lift to purchase please post it up. Thanks!

Oh yeah Bryon! Thats a GREAT idea with the drill to raise and lower! I gotta remember that! Thanks!:D

$12 lithium screwdriver from Costco (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=121757&d=1246107933). Been using it for a long time, workin' fine.

William Hutchinson
06-28-2009, 12:43 PM
For a couple of years now, I've had this Bench Dog table and Quick Lift combo that runs a PC (3 1/4hp) router. Easy bit changes and height adjustments. The lift has managed the big PC without a hitch. It's a no frills system that works great.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/QuickLift-ontablesaw.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/QuickLift-Fence.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/QuickLift-Lockingrings.jpg

Charlie T. Bear
06-28-2009, 7:05 PM
Nice set up man! I have a Grizzly 12 in table saw and while I cannot recall the dim of the top I know that the BD CI top wont fit, The BD is not wide enough. I do use an extension on the right side of my TS That is where I have a shop built table router mounted now. I plan on building a new extension to hold the woodpecker as the plate on the WP is differant then the plate I have in it now. I really wish I could get the cast iron extension! That would be SWEET!