PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa would be proud

Bob Glenn
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I am building a spring pole lathe to use at eighteen century re-enactments where I make Windsor chairs. I try to add something new each year and this year I will be turning chair legs and stretchers on the new lathe.

Last night I was working out in the shop and needed to cut a six inch decorative arch on top of each end of the lathe supports. The wood is yellow poplar and an inch and half thick. I was regreting using my power reciprocating saw, since it doesn't cut thick material very well.

With the end piece clamped up in the end vise, I looked over and at my Grandfather Lindstrom's hand made bow saw. It's the only tool of his that I possess. He came to America from Sweden when he was 20, in early part of the last century. He was a woodworker, and made musical instruments for Conn in northern Indiana. He was also a passionate wood worker at home. I remember visiting his basement and seeing all the handtools and the wonderful wooden work bench. Unfortunately, when he died, my cousins hauled all off to the dump, except for the bench and my bow saw. I would give up a lot to able to use his tools today.

I have tried to use his bow saw several times when cutting out seat blanks for Windsor chairs, with little luck. Either it wouldn't cut straight or it would become uncontrollabe and wander off the line.

Last night on a whim, I once again picked the bow saw from its resting spot, tighten the blade, and started to cut. Cutting through waste stock, I noticed it was cutting amazingly fast and square to the stock. As I approached the cutting line I had laid out, the saw turned and followed the line with relative ease and little effort.

I couldn't believe my eyes as the first piece came off leaving a relatively smooth surface, needing only a little spoke shave work to clean up.

With the job done, I celibrated with a cold one in the stillness of the evening alone in the shop, admiring my work. I think Grandpa may have been guiding my hand last night.

He would have been proud.

Martin Shupe
05-15-2007, 1:03 PM
Nice story.

Be sure to post pics of your lathe when you get it done.

I saw a couple Windsor guys at Vincennes, IN last summer. Neither had a lathe, but they were spokeshaving chair parts and had some completed and partially completed chairs. I talked to one for quite a while. Someday I need to make a Windsor chair, probably in a class somewhere.

Bob Glenn
05-15-2007, 2:06 PM
Martin, That was me you talked to at the Vincennes Rendevous. I do it every year. Last year there were three chair makers, however, you couldn't tell one of them was a chair maker since he never brings any chairs. I usually try to bring at least three chairs, a comb back, sackback and a continuous arm chair, in addition to the one I am making. I've always carved seats and worked on the shaving horse making spindles, but never been able to turn any legs.

I'll try to post some pictures of the lathe when I finish it. It has been in the design stage for over a year. I just didn't want to settle for some of the simple ones I've seen on the internet.

Good luck with making your first Windsor. My first only took about eight months to make. :D

Mark Stutz
05-15-2007, 5:01 PM
When will you be in Vincennes? I grew up in southern IN, 50 or so miles away. This might be worth going back for a visit!:D

Bob Glenn
05-15-2007, 5:48 PM
Mark, I live in Vincennes. The Vincennes Rendevous is Memorial Day Weekend, May 26th and 27th. The feastival is well attended with usually about 1000 re-enactors and 30,000 in attendance over the two day event. It is an eighteenth century portrayal and everything there is pretty authentic to the period. There is a large encampment of British, French and American troops, plus lots of demonstrations and vendors. Parking is free and the admission is about seven dollars IIRC. Vincennes is celibrating it's 275th year, so this year should be extra big.

The event is in the Old French Commons area down by the river right next to the George Rogers Clark National Monument. The Monument itself is worth a trip to the area. It's the largest national monument outside of Washington DC.

If you come, I'm usually right along the fence as you come in the entrance. As I said before, last year there were three Windsor chair makers there. You will know me, because I'm usually the only one with wood chips laying on the ground. :D I'll be there pumping the new lathe in my knee breeches and waistcoat.

Drop by, and introduce yourself. I'll sit you down on the shaving horse and put a drawn knife in your hands!

Martin Shupe
05-15-2007, 7:07 PM
Bob,

Glad to hear from you again! I enjoyed visiting with you last year, but will have to miss this year, as I have out of town guests that weekend. I remember spending quite some time with you, just visiting while you worked. You were very kind with your time, and I tried to shut up when a "real" customer came by.

Mark, if you like history, go to Vincennes for the re-enactment. Well worth your time. Plan on spending the day. If anyone else out there has school aged kids, bring them along. There are two few folks that know how much George Rogers Clark really did for our country, and that weekend is a good chance to learn. The monument has a museum and short movie that explains the history, or you can read one of the books by Allen Eckert, who wrote excellent historical novels about the French and Indian War and Revolutionary War.

Again, welcome to the board, Bob, now post some pics of your wonderful chairs!

Phil Clark
05-15-2007, 8:46 PM
With the job done, I celibrated with a cold one in the stillness of the evening alone in the shop, admiring my work. I think Grandpa may have been guiding my hand last night.

He would have been proud.

It's one thing to use hand tools but what greater feeling of satisfaction can you have than using a family tool of past generations - lucky you.

Mark Stutz
05-15-2007, 8:58 PM
Bob,
I've been to the GRC Memeorial, although it's been many years. Unfortunatley, I won't be able to make it this year, but will put it on the calendar for the future. I would love to see the re-enactors, and especially that lathe.

Mark