PDA

View Full Version : Do you lend out tools?

Bill Leung
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi guys,

I'm wondering how you guys deal with people asking to borrow tools. I have a bunch of contractor type tools (paint sprayer, pressure washer, tile saws, concrete mixers, hammer drills etc) as well as the standard woodworking tools. I often get asked by people (who are not to experienced) to borrow tools and my truck. When I had loaned stuff out In the past, I fortunately have had stuff come back OK aside from the normal wear and tear but dread the day when something is broken. Worse yet, when it's broken and I don't know about it and use the tool dangerously. Tools are replaceable but unforseen injuries would be awful. The other aspect is this stuff isn't cheap. A diamond blade for the tile saw is $150, Sawsall blades are $10 a package etc, filling up the diesel truck is $100. The funny thing is most people will pay for fuel but don't think about the wear on tools. The whole experience has been making me more and more uncomfortable. I want to be a good neighbor/friend and am willing to help out but the more I deal with loaning out stuff the more it's starting to bother me. Am I over reacting? What do you guys do?

Jeff Wright
05-15-2007, 11:36 AM
No, I do not lend tools. But then, I treat my tools like surgical instruments (still chasing that 1/64ths accuracy!!), and it's unlikely that anyone else will handle them as carefully. In addition, today's extortionist attorneys are prospecting for an opportunity to pad their wallets.

How would I reply to a neighbor's request? Let's see:

"Gee Bob, I'd really love to help you out, but I'm afraid I've learned long ago lending tools is not far removed from lending my sweetheart out for the afternoon. But if time permits and it's a job that wouldn't take more than an hour or so, I could maybe do the task for you. What did you have in mind?"

If the job is major, I tell him it's more than I can help out with. And perhaps I could suggest an alternative, like renting from the local HomeDepot.

Most of our woodworking tools aren't something you take out of the box and run with. Nearly all of them require some study and practice. More than likely, the friend/neighbor will want to pull it out of the box and have at it.

I figure if the friend is unable to accept my position, he's just scored a low grade on my friendship test.

I guess there ARE exceptions! Anyone need to borrow my garden hose?

Chris Barton
05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
No! It's the best way to loose a friend/neighbor. Neither a borrower or lender be...

Ken Belisle
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
If it's any type of power tool, I just tell them that "my insurance agent told me that I would be liable if anyone got hurt (including doctor bills, hospital bills and lost wages if they missed work) and it wouldn't be covered under my homeowner's policy. I just can't afford to take that kind of chance."

Gets me out of loaning them the tools without making it look like I'm the bad guy.

allan cripe
05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
I echo the earlier sentiments....

If you are not concerned on the well being of whatever tool u lend out, then have at it. The well being of the person borrowing it should also be considered......severe injuries can be sustained from borrowed tools...well, i'm not a lawyer........ Unfortunately we live in a litigous society, and many a friendship has ended badly this way.

I always beg out by saying that "whichever tool i'm asked to borrow" hasn't been working properly lately. It's polite and I always stress that I don't want anyone else possibly getting frustrated (or hurt) by my sub par tools!!

IMHO, its just best not to add that element into a good frienship.

Allan

glenn bradley
05-15-2007, 12:02 PM
If I know the person is the type who would jump at the chance to replace the item if damaged - AND - it is something I am comfortable with someone else using (few and far between in my stable); yes.

Al Willits
05-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Depends on who and what, I know people I wouldn't lend a rock to as it'd come back broke, on the other hand I have a few of them tools I should really throw away, yes please borrow them and don't worry about returning..:)
And then there's the good stuff, rarely do I lend these out and only to people who I know will respect them....least in the morning....

Last good one that went out that I had a problem with was a Starrett dial calipers, guy unfortunately dropped them, he checked on the replacement cost and gave me a check for that amount, said he'd go buy it or I could if I wanted.
I don't mind borrowing to people like that.

Al

Greg Cole
05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I see how my neighbors use their lawn mowers, they aren't getting their hands on anything in the garage. I will help them out if the situation isn't too time consuming. Altough I declined the offer from my immediate neighbor to help him reside his house & replace windows... he saw me do mine in a week last year (week of vacation & 1 helper) and thought I could help him a few evenings for 2 weeks. Simply told him it'd be cheaper for him to hire it out as my labor is free to me & few else. :cool:
If it's a friend (a true friend) I would let them use "it", so long as they know what they are going with "it". A true friend will need not sign a waiver or anything to exhonorate me from liability. That said, I don't have to worry about lending much to anyone as my friends know how retentive I am with my stuff! :D

Lee Schierer
05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Loaning of tools from my shop will depend upon who you are and what your skill level for that tool may be. If I feel you aren't qualified (or perceive that you won't respect the tool) then you probably won't walk out of my shop with anything. I will sometimes volunteer to help or dot it for the person if it isn't too involved.

I can assure you that if I borrowed your truck, it would come back with at least as much fuel in it as it had when it left your driveway, if not more and your tools would come back with the new (now used) blade(s) I bought for it to do my job. If I broke it or lost anything you would have a properly repaired tool or a new one.

Randal Stevenson
05-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Too many variables.

First, you could EASILY lie, and tell someone you got xyz back, without being told it was damaged/missing something, and you got injured.

But it both depends on the tools and the person. I have loaned my bil tools and also gone to help him. Now he tried to loan me something, and I started using it why he was standing there (needing it for less then 10 minutes), and found out (cordless tool) that the battery was dead. He was figuing I wouldn't do it while he was there, and I would replace the battery.
Now my brother is handy with nutdrivers, screwdrivers and a credit card. LOL. I will loan him a tool, if I am standing there supervising, because if he's asked, he does have the interest, and will properly use it. He is just not motivated to do something on his own, as there are some area's he takes after my father. (can't do electrical or plumbing).
My father will borrow a tool, and do something that looks Rube Goldberg. The tool comes back great, but no one quite knows, how he can go so far to do something that should have been so simple. I won't loan him electrical, plumbing or automotive tools (others rely on safety too).
One of my neighbors, can borrow pretty much any tool. He has great capabilities, and used to do wonderfull work, with much better tools, but lost some due to a house being flooded, then raising three daughters. (no money). He will borrow a tool, normally only when I am around (wants to make sure he gets it back to me, and normally also could use a hand). He has been using one of my mowers recently (his old one died, and he wants a good one, and we have a bargin hunter looking).
My other neighbor, is no longer around. He is a contractor, who is hard on his tools, but not other peoples. Most of his tools are old, and he wants to kill them to get new ones. Then, every time, he realizes, normally the quality of the new ones isn't there. (the grass is greener neighbor, and works on others stuff, but his own is way behind). I loaned him two tools, both were for working on his own stuff. (recip saw, and worm saw as his were in the shop).
Now I have a lot of automotive tools. Probably a couple of thousand $$ worth are loaned out to a garage, that I was a part timer at (almost family), after they were broke into several times. (stopped, but not recovered). I have access to them and the shop whenever, and help. So it's like rent. Most of them are specialty tools (just sit in a box at home) or duplicates (Gearwrenches), and are lifetime warrantied (replacable if broken). It was wonderfull when my fuel pump went out, during the first snowstorm last year. No tow bill, help and a warm place to drop and replace the pump, and at cost.
My current bosses, you take the tools in and do it, because they will do it, but you won't get the tools back for a long while.
And one machinist friend, who rarely needs anything, but hasn't charged me for any work. Normally, if he wants to borrow something, it's to compare one brand with another, before he spends the money.

Mac Cambra
05-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Of course it depends on the tool but what gets me is when a friend borrows the same tool multiple times.... My feeling being that if you need to use something more than once or twice you might ought to buy one.....

Tim Brooks
05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Here is a recent exchange between friends:

Friend-May I use your table saw?

Me-Only if you will promise me you will buy your own blade.

Friend-Absolutely

When he returned it:

Me-Did you buy a new blade?

Friend-No, your's worked just fine.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad: My solution? I sold him the table saw and bought one that weighs 300 lbs (I wanted a new one anyway). This one will not be borrowed! :D

Kyle Kraft
05-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I will not loan out cutting tools or precision tools...period. Other items go out to people who have the intelligence and capability to use them properly and not abuse or damage them. Every borrowers name goes on a list posted in the lid of my Kennedy box with the name, description, and date of loan. I look at the list frequently and see what happens. If I have to recover the item myself, the borrowers "stock" drops in value. If the borrower brings it back promptly and in as good or better condition than it was received, their "stock" rises in value.

When I borrow tools, I return them promptly and gratefully, and thus far have never been turned down on a request.

Kim Spence
05-15-2007, 12:35 PM
When you upgrade your tools, keep the old ones for "beaters" & loaners. This is what I sometimes offer up to people who ask if they can borrow tools.

Mike Seals
05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Good question and I will have to say, only to some one I trust 100% to not abuse the tool and to replace it if broken, there are some folks that are like that. I have a few good friends that can take anything they need. The rest just have to wait.

I used to do a lot of autobody work for myself, street rods. A neighbor came over and asked if he could borrow my MIG welder for a job for his business. I asked him if he had the cash to buy a new MIG and he said yes. I asked him to let me hold the money while he was using my MIG, he thought I was joking. After some more conversation, I explained to him that this machine was my joy, something I use daily for relaxation and though I might be willling to help him do some welding, I would not let this machine go without being able to replace it the same day. He got angry and left.

Ron Hedrick
05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
The only person that I will loan my "shop tools" to is my son-in-law. He is a tool afficianado. Everyone one else gets my "generic tools". the ones that I could care less about.

Dave Anderson NH
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I have a number of woodworking friends to whom I would loan any tool I own. I have a good idea of their skill and have seen the way they care for their own tools. I know they will care for my tools and return them clean, sharp, and in as good or better condition as when they got them. On the other hand, there are some folks to whom I wouldn't loan something as simple and virtually unbreakable as a crow bar. I've seen the way they care for their own stuff and figure that if they keep theirs in such rotten condition that my tools wouldn't have a chance.

Summary: only if I have confidence in their skills and ability to care for tools. I've not yet been burned with this approach. Do I say no? You betcha!!

Don Selke
05-15-2007, 1:20 PM
Never, been burned too many times.

Steve Campbell
05-15-2007, 1:21 PM
Bill years ago I bought an old house that needed lots of work done to it. At the time I could not afford to buy all the tools I needed. I had a couple of very nice older gentlemen in the area that kind of helped me out by lending me tools, and coming over and showing me how to do the job right.
Long story short. I am now the nice older gentleman on the block, Not that I'm old I've just been here the longest.
I will lend most of the people on the block just about any tool I have. I kind of figure I owe it.
Most tools that people want are the cheaper tools I own, so even if one gets broke I'm not out a lot. I get a much better feeling showing them how to use them.

Steve

Andrew Williams
05-15-2007, 1:29 PM
My tools do not leave my shop. However, I have had friends over who needed something done to a piece they were working on and lacked the tools to do it. Sometimes it turns into a hand-planing lesson. Sometimes I do most of the work. I do not mind. The one thing I insist on is that I sharpen my tools. I don't want bevels changed. If I didn't do it freehand then I could see letting someone else sharpen them with a jig.

I have actually given some tools away though. Mostly tools that I didn't want anymore due to a tool upgrade and did not want them taking up space. Recently upgraded my floor jack to a Hein-Werner and wanted to be rid of the "made in China" oil-leaker that I could not fix. I gave it away and the guy promptly fixed it and uses it. I am happy for him, although I feel much safer using the Hein-Werner, even for the few minutes it takes to put a jack stand up.

Ted Miller
05-15-2007, 1:32 PM
I will loan out my tools, truck anything in my shop for free. But I go along at $100.00 an hour.

CYA and DTA, words to live by with tools...

Paul Canaris
05-15-2007, 1:35 PM
To my kids, yes. To anyone else, no. Too many tools not returned.

Philip Glover
05-15-2007, 1:38 PM
I have only one rule:

If it's not broke, don't lend it.

Phil

Gary Herrmann
05-15-2007, 1:59 PM
I've lent clamps to a local Creeker. Would probably lend him other tools.

As for the neighbors, they can borrow anything in my tool box in the garage or shovels. Nothing else.

Bill Leung
05-15-2007, 2:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I struck a nerve here and am not the only one who feels this way. I was actually feeling kind of guilty as I have found myself making the excuses. I think alot of people don't know the cost of tools and can't imagine when they find out you paid ... say $800 for a tile saw. When I tell them this is the replacement cost or liability, I think it goes in one ear and out the other. I was thinking that the best thing to do is when or if I loan my next tool out, to have them sign a document that will not hold you liable and states what you expect them to replace. Also helps to keep track of it. My other issue is some of these tools could be used by laborers/other friends who hack and the borrower has no control or possibly knowlegde of the damage. Then the real fun starts. I like the "just say no" unless it is a good reputable friend. It's a tough call either way.

Al Willits
05-15-2007, 2:29 PM
Most of my friends know I usually don't let my good stuff out if I can help it, so they figured that if they dragged whatever it is they need fixed over, I'll just fix it for them.
This has worked well, as most of my friends will do the same for me.

All about who you trust and don't.

Don't feel bad about not loaning to people who don't respect your tools, they probably don't respect you either...

Al

Bill Leung
05-15-2007, 2:51 PM
All about who you trust and don't.

Don't feel bad about not loaning to people who don't respect your tools, they probably don't respect you either...

Al

The funny thing like to think I trust people until they give me a reason not to. Kind of catch 22. I'd hope that my friends/neighbors would respect my decisions. Unfortunately, I mostly get the look like they are taking it personally and making a statement regarding their skill level. I guess I could take that opportunity to remind them to return the chisel they borrowed a year ago.

Jim Becker
05-15-2007, 3:00 PM
I could not honestly say "never", but....there is an extremely short list of people I'd loan any tool to. There is also a very short list of people I'd let work in my shop on my tools, too. It's not just about the tool, itself...its about how it might get used properly and safely.

TYLER WOOD
05-15-2007, 3:31 PM
I let any tool in my shop out to friends and family. If you can't trust them with your tools, you should not trust them with your life. If I don't know ya, better go to the BORG and buy it, cuz it's staying in my garage. I'm too busy with my own projects, helping others I have arranged to help, and personal enjoyment to do your work for you with my tools. If you don't like it, go down the street to the so and so's house, they may have it.

Jim Becker
05-15-2007, 3:41 PM
Tyler, unfortunately I've found over many years that family is often the most ill-equipped to borrow tools. It's not a matter of "trust" in the sense that you state but in their ability/willingness to use them properly and repair/replace them when they don't. Strangely enough, the "short list" I mentioned above consists of other woodworkers who I know very well and who treat they own tools carefully in the way I treat mine.

guy knight
05-15-2007, 3:47 PM
loaning tools is like loaning a friend money don't expect to get paid back or don't expect to get the tool back in good working order so i just don't loan anyone any tools but i do offer to do it for them or tell them were they can rent them

Bart Leetch
05-15-2007, 3:55 PM
I only loan my tool out to two people. They can be trusted to return the tools in good shape. One of these people recently broke a small part on a tool I had loaned to him & he spent the time to make a replacement piece.

Our pastor used to say don't loan something you expect to get back.

Phil Pritchard
05-15-2007, 4:34 PM
Yes, Tony, I'll loan you my recipro saw..... By the way, can I borrow your BanG & Olufsen stereo - we're having a toga party this weekend.

Works every time.

Phil

Al Killian
05-15-2007, 5:25 PM
Yes, if they are willing to pay me for wear and tear, sign a waver form stateing the give up all rights to goe after me if something happens. Unless it my best freind then not in a millon years. he has no respect for tools

Jim Thiel
05-15-2007, 6:48 PM
I want to be a good neighbor/friend and am willing to help out...

When it fits or I can make it fit my schedule, I'll help. I don't lend my tools for the same reason I don't let my kids play in the street.

Jim

Paul Dwight
05-15-2007, 6:56 PM
I must be lucky -- I think only three people have asked to borrow any of my tools in the 15 years we've lived in our house. All three are friends, all three are scrupulously honest and very responsible, and I've never had a lick of trouble. I know them, I trust them, and I have no hesitation loaning them my stuff.

I haven't had to deal with the situation where someone I don't know well has asked to borrow a tool. I would probably say, "No." I hope I never have to, though. -- Paul

Tom Slupek
05-15-2007, 7:27 PM
I don not lend tools out, except to the two chosen ones. Those few treat their tools with respect and care. I even bought a sign and posted it my garage/workshop and it reads "NO TOOLS LOANED". If someone else asks me to borrow a tool I just point at the sign and they get upset. If I tell them how much the tool cost me, they either don't believe me or say that I'm nuts for spending so much money on a piece of steel or whatever. If you don't believe me get your own.

Mike Henderson
05-15-2007, 7:37 PM
There are only a couple of people I loan tools to and those are people who I've worked with extensively and seen how they take care of their tools. The only reason they might borrow is that I have something that they don't and it's needed for some special project or they want to try a tool before buying it themselves (they will lend to me for the same reasons).

Anyone else - not a chance.

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-15-2007, 8:24 PM
Only If I'm willing to take a hit on the tool.

I lent a table saw once for a period of oh say some months maybe 6. The guy bent the fence and returned it by dumping it out the back of his truck so that it landed on the cast iron upside down and sat in the dirt that way all day till I came home to find it.

Michael Schwartz
05-15-2007, 8:48 PM
Every time I loan out tools I have steal them back.

Mike Thomas
05-15-2007, 8:49 PM
Yes and no. I have tools that I own in a cooperative. This way we all benefit from tools we might not individually own. But on most of my tools, I will volunteer to bring my tools but I come along as part of the deal. I also have very dear friends that I would lend almost any of my tools to.

Fred Voorhees
05-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Tyler, unfortunately I've found over many years that family is often the most ill-equipped to borrow tools. It's not a matter of "trust" in the sense that you state but in their ability/willingness to use them properly and repair/replace them when they don't. Strangely enough, the "short list" I mentioned above consists of other woodworkers who I know very well and who treat they own tools carefully in the way I treat mine.

It's kind of cooincidental you mention this. But true. I may have mentioned this in the past, but it bears mentioning in this thread. I kind of got my start in woodworking by way of my grandfathers hand me down tools and machines. Before my grandfather died, he made it clear to those around him that he wanted me to have all of his carpentry and woodworking tools. That was due to one reason......I returned the stuff of his that I borrowed. There is a long running story in our family about a set of chisels that was borrowed and never returned. No one ever owned up to it, but it made my grandfather pretty steamed. It wasn't the chisels per se, it was just the fact that no one had the gumption to admit they forgot to return them or lost them or whatever. I always respected the stuff and got them right back to him in a timely manner. And, when he passed away, I took over his stuff and that is how I basically got off to my own start in woodworking.

These days, I would have to say that I'm pretty stingy with my woodworking tools and machines. Not to say that there may be an exception here and there, but it would be rare. I work hard to get the money to purchase my stuff and I would really hate to have something like that come between myself and a freind or family member.

David G Baker
05-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Anyone who knows me knows better than to ask. I do not borrow tools and I do not lend tools. If some work needs done and I am available I will sometimes volunteer my services. The last time I volunteered my services I used my tractor and brush hog to mow a neighbors back lot. They said the lot was clear of any debris and rocks. Four very large rocks later and some damage to my mower I finished the mowing. The next time I was asked, I was too busy to help.
When my children were young (4 boys) they got a Craftsman basic tool set for Christmas when they reached the age where they needed tools. If they needed a special tool they would get it for their birthday or I would do the work for them.
I learned very young not to lend out tools because every time I did they were returned dirty, abused, broken or not at all.

Nancy Laird
05-15-2007, 11:28 PM
If you've seen our shop pictures, you know that we have a pretty complete shop full of tools and machines. We have never been asked if we would loan out our tools or machines--never. Our friends know that we use our tools and machines in our business and that they are valuable to us for that reason. That being said, IF someone wanted to borrow the hammer drill or the recip saw, the caveat would immediately be on the table that if it got damaged, the drill bit or the saw blade got broken, the borrower would be responsible.

We have and still do let a few chosen people come into our shop and use our tools, but they are very few and very chosen. My boss was using the shop to build some cabinets, and dropped one of the biscuit joiners. When LOML looked at it, he thought it could be repaired, and boss would pay for the parts. When it turned out that it was damaged beyond repair, boss bought a new one for us. No hard feelings, no harm, no foul. LOML actually gives woodworking lessons to a couple of people, and those people come into the shop and use our tools and machines. But hubby is always there, looking over the shoulder and watching how these people handle the tools and machines. If he were to see someone abusing a tool or using a machine in an unsafe manner, that person would no longer be welcome.

He has been asked by some if they could come to the shop and use the machines, and his answer is usually "Bring it up and I'll do it for you." Sometimes he'd rather just do it himself than to allow someone to use the machines.

Nancy

Todd Jensen
05-16-2007, 12:28 AM
No, I'm sorry, I can't.

The end. This short statement includes an answer to the inquiry - "may I borrow...?", a gracious apology for my inability to help, and a final answer in case he thought my apology softened my No answer. Miss Manners couldn't be more polite. :) I don't share my tools at work with other craftsmen(it doesn't take too many hours wasted chasing after a tool you need...), and definitely don't have the time and energy at home to chase after my yard tools much less my power washer or shop tools. It may sound harsh, but when helping someone else interferes with my responsibilities...tough tomatoes. On a side note, if you truly ever needed help, I'd be the first guy you'd want to call; just don't use me to save buying a tool yourself or a Home Depot rental fee.

Raf Verbruggen
05-16-2007, 1:30 AM
Idem dito.

Last time I lend out my mittre saw it came back missing one tooth and the blade was also very dull. When I told him that I was not very happy with this he was amazed and replied me:

"are you kidding about one missing tooth ? There are still 79 teeth on that blade, you won't even notice a difference...."

Mark Rios
05-16-2007, 1:41 AM
MAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...........Maybe................ .....Maybe................I might loan out an older hammer or an old shovel. Anything more complicated to use, no freakin' way. :D

Roland Chung
05-16-2007, 1:59 AM
Interesting topic - reminds me of the time my new brother-in-law borrowed my Dad's new 3/8" Black and Decker drill. After he brought it back, my Dad plugged it it and it screamed of ruined bearings. My Dad asked him what happened and my brother-in-law said that it was like that when he got it.

We found out later that he had used it to drill holes in his concrete slab for a patio cover.

If it was me, I would have bought my Father-in-law a new drill. Just remember the old saying, "Never lend more than you can afford to lose."

Raf Verbruggen
05-16-2007, 2:08 AM
Idem dito.

Last time I lend out my mittre saw it came back missing one tooth and the blade was also very dull. When I told him that I was not very happy with this he was amazed and replied me:

"are you kidding about one missing tooth ? There are still 79 teeth on that blade, you won't even notice a difference...."

Doug Cloud
05-16-2007, 2:14 AM
Lend out my tools? Are you nuts?

Al Willits
05-16-2007, 8:52 AM
I'm assuming those who don't lend out tools also don't ask to borrow any, must be nice to have all the tools you ever need....:)

On the other hand I'm not so lucky, so if its a tool I'll only need once, I might ask someone to borrow their's.
But only with the understanding that if it breaks I have the money to replace it asap.

I borrow to and from a pretty small group of people, but we all make our living with tools and know to respect other peoples tools, works well for us.

Al

Rennie Heuer
05-16-2007, 9:07 AM
The three things you never ask of a man to borrow:

His wife
His truck
His toolsNot necessarily in that order. :eek:

Bill Huber
05-16-2007, 9:20 AM
There are some people that I will loan tools to, but those people are the same people that won't ask to borrow them.

Those are the people that if they do borrow something and put a mark on it they would get me a new one.

Now if I for some reason borrow something from someone I return it as soon as I can and when I do it will be in as good or not better shape then when I got it.

David Cramer
05-16-2007, 9:31 AM
...........but not anymore. I loaned my wife's friend and his father-in-law, not mine, a 12V cordless drill and various other tools. I went to pick it up 2 weeks later and his wife said it's downstairs somewhere on the floor. Much to my dismay, it was laying on floor next to a floor drain that had backed up. The chuck had "spot rusting" everywhere and the drill no longer worked. Talk about not being a happy camper.

He never apologized or brought it up again, and yes, he was well aware of what happened. I looked up to the sky and said "thanks", you've taught me a great lesson.

I blame myself for not being strong and saying that I don't really feel comfortable loaning out my tools. Some guys are made that way, but I wasn't, until that episode anyways. I will always help out a neighbor, but I am there at all times and don't walk away and leave my purchase with them.

Thanks for reading this.

Dave

Rob Bodenschatz
05-16-2007, 9:36 AM
Depends on the tool.

Depends on the person.

I'd rather keep my friends than keep my tools but if you disrespect my property, you disrespect me. No second chances there.

jeremy levine
05-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I won't even tell my dad were I keep my tools. :)

Bill Leung
05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
This has been a very enlightening discussion. I started this discussion because I was feeling guilty for not loaning out a tool. As I read through the post, I realized that the majority of the answers were by nature going to be negative. Not including abuse and negligence, if you used your power tool on any given day, it is undergoing wear/tear and can break for whatever reason. A power tool will never be the same. It definitely easier to swallow the pain if the owner did it but... if you loaned something out and 2 weeks later it croaked, what would we think. It's still would be a big question in my mind. Now, like most people the bad things tend to stick in my limited brain space and from this post, others do the same.

I just remembered one ex-neighbor who I loaned a nail gun and spray painting machine (one of the bigger units). Not only was everything cleaned on return, He bought and gave me a bottle of pneumatic oil, extra brads, and a new filter for the spray gun. In this case, it did come back better than when it left me. All in all, his cost was maybe $25 but he knew the price he was saving on rental and respected the tools. He's the type that you don't worry about... I guess they are hard to find though.

Randy Denby
05-16-2007, 1:10 PM
My tools? Only to my closest woodworking friend who takes as good of care as anyone, and promptly returns it. My brother? uh huh. Twice, I've loaned him tools, and both times I've had to chase them down. Once he had loaned MY sawsall to a remodeler at church. It came back with the chord cut off and full of wet sheetrock mud. I make my living with my tools and cant afford to get on a job to realize....the tool I need has been lent out or damaged.

James Carmichael
05-16-2007, 1:35 PM
I'm pretty comfortable loaning tools to just about any of my family or friends. With the exception of some in-laws on LOML's side (and she would agree with me) they're all responsible, trustworthy people.

Ed Blough
05-16-2007, 1:57 PM
I had a very good friend that was a wood worker, he had many tools that I didn't have. Every time I asked to borrow his tools he would say no if you need the tool go buy it so you will have it yourself. This would make me angry.

One time I was installing a laminite counter top and wanted to use his router and flush cutting bit. He refused so I hand filed the laminate flush. The next time I had to do this job I bought a router and flush cutting bit.

Now my friend lives about 800 miles away, way too far away to borrow tools from. And every time I need a tool I think of my friend's great advice, if you need the tool go buy it, as I walk out to my fairly well stocked workshop.

When I someone comes to borrow a tool I tell them this story. However I do offer to do the task myself since I'm such a push over.

Roger Bell
05-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Sure, no problem. I loan tools to my friends. The only way to ever have a friend is to be a friend. And being niggardly is not being a friend. My friends are far more important than my tools. But then again, I am very, very, very selective in the persons I choose as my friends. And my friends respect me.

Bill Leung
05-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Sure, no problem. I loan tools to my friends. The only way to ever have a friend is to be a friend. And being niggardly is not being a friend. My friends are far more important than my tools. But then again, I am very, very, very selective in the persons I choose as my friends. And my friends respect me.

Roger,

I whole heartedly agree and it should be that simple. However, through past experiences, I have learned that loaning or borrowing your tools is not a relevant indicator of being a good friend or relative. In the past, I have been almost eager to help and lend out tools with the attitude that I have to be willing to accept the consequences (read, upgrade) if something should happen so it really didn't matter. I loaned to neighbors, friends and even their friends. I upgraded a lot as many tools were damaged, not returned, or the worst, unable to reach when I really needed to use it and had to re-buy. Many of these people have the best of intentions and are great friends so I did not hold it against them. BUT... I realized that this is costing me a lot of money and time. The very thing my friends are trying to save by asking me to borrow my tools is just transferring it to me, I guess that makes me the ultimate friend. Like others have posted, I now will adopt the policy to go along with the tools when I offer to help someone not on the A list. On the flip side, a good friend would/should not be offended if you did not loan them a tool, it goes both ways.

Brian Kent
05-21-2007, 1:36 AM
My dad was a Jazz drummer and a drum teacher. His equipment was essential to his profession and tuned in a personal way. All in all, he was a very generous person, but he had a saying -

There are two things I don't loan out - my tooth brush and my drums.

The students liked the humor in it and he never had to find, repair, or get frustrated with people for changes or damage or loss.

That said, I would invite friends to my shop any time and would take a few of my tools to their place. I would just stay with the tools.:)

John Eugster
01-29-2008, 10:37 PM
grew up on ..... seldom lend and never borrow, it will save you lots of sorrow. Usually if a tool of mine goes out, I go with it! Usually worth a dinner or at least a beer.

frank shic
01-29-2008, 10:46 PM
ditto what john said! my next door neighbor got the privilege of not only using my beefy dewalt miter saw (he had bought an extremely LOW END black and decker that would have probably taken off a few of his fingers if he had used it) but also had my company and guidance. i still haven't gotten my dinner yet, though...

John Newell
01-30-2008, 7:55 AM
Short answer is almost never. It seldom works out satisfactorily.

Most alarming recent request was for the chainsaw. I said no, I'll come over and do it for you...better that than have the neighbor injure himself.

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2008, 8:09 AM
I loan tools out, based upon who is asking, and what the tool is.

I have a CMS that I never use, it's jokingly known as the Telesat CMS by my co-workers because it's almost always at one of my co-workers houses.

I have a few neighbours who I am willing to loan tools to, they are the neighbours that have been here a long time, like myself.

At present, I am loaning out my entire shop, one weekend and one weekday a month to a group of women in a co-operative who are making new kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts for one townhouse a month. They have learned skills, developed a "Can Do" attitude and appreciation for basic woodworking skills.

I don't mind the mentoring/tool loaning to the right people, I had the priveledge of being mentored/being a borrower when I was young, and being past middle age, it's time to repay the kindness and generosity of those who came before me.

Regards, Rod.

Regards, Rod.

Greg Narozniak
01-30-2008, 9:16 AM
Before I moved I had one good friend of a neighbor (Yes a real friend) that I would loan tools to. When he used my Cordless circular saw I got it back with a 3 pack of new blades. When he borrowed my 15ga Nailer I got it back with a nice assortment of nails. That is how I would be when I borrow something so I am fine with it. When I need to trim out our Master Bedroom I borrowed his pancake compressor instead of me dragging 100ft of hose through the house from the garage, He got it back in the same exact condition I borrowed it in. That is how I operate.

Since I have moved I have not had anyone ask to borrow but I have helped a few neighbors with some cuts using my TS, to me that is just being a good neighbor. I enjoy helping people and it works out well for both parties.

I also agree with one of the other members, When I need a tool I go and buy it and then I always have it. There are a few times that I should have went the borrow route, but since I try and buy decent tools, I know I will have it for a long time so I guess eventually it will even out.

Come to think of it, I think my best friend (I am 38 and we've been friends since 3rd grade) still has my MIG welder and some of my automotive brake tools so maybe I have to rethink my policy on friends :)

Ron Jones near Indy
01-30-2008, 9:20 PM
I keep an old B&D circular saw and an old Crapsman (it really is) jig saw that I'll loan to those who I feel posses the knowledge/skill to use them. That's about it unless you are my BIL (one, not the other) or next door neighbor (he has good stuff too;)).

I have a sign in my shop that reads: I have a simple policy for loaning tools. NO! Don't even ask. Any exception I may make for someone else does not constitute a precedent applicable to you.

I freely admit I "borrowed" the wording on the sign from someone years ago--I think it was from Badger Pond.

Dave Norris
01-30-2008, 9:39 PM
Years ago I borrowed a paint sprayer system from a friend to paint 5 doghouses I had built for a kennel. When i got the sprayer out of the box it was gummed up with paint from being put away dirty by someone else. I cleaned it as best i could, and it still didn't work. I returned it to him the next day. He through a FIT in front of several other friends, and I ended up buying him a $250 replacement sprayer, which he then wouldn't let me use to paint the darn boxes!

Lesson learned... I spent $250 and still didn't have a paint sprayer! Now, I buy my own, I keep them to myself. If someone needs help, I go along with the tool and do the operating! Makes for some nice afternoons with friends.

Bob Feeser
01-30-2008, 9:40 PM
In the words of Henry David Thoreau, as in Waldens Pond Henry he said, "It is ok to borrow a mans ax, as long as it is sharper when you returned it, then when you borrowed it". If people would take that to the nines, you could lend someone your lawnmower and they would change the oil. Ok, maybe that is stretching it.
No I do not lend others my tools. I lent my neighbor a power washer one time, it came back all dirty, and out of gas. I lent him a cordless drill, then when I stopped over to see him he was using it, or should I say abusing it. Running it with the battery on empty, squeezing the trigger, twist the screw in manually, squeeze and twist. I could only imagine what that was doing to the motor and the battery. Fortunately it was an old drill. When I mentioned that it was hurting the drill, the charger for the drill he had it on a high shelf in the garage, and it bit the concrete floor. He was forever borrowing my ladder, 20 foot extension ladder, and then would return it by laying it on the lawn in my back yard. Need I go on?
People borrow your stuff, abuse it, and when it breaks they return it busted and say sorry. They may as well have stolen the thing. Anyhow if someone has a need, a special need that requires a special tool, and I have that tool, I will either do the job for them with the tool, or if it is too extensive, I will refuse. Sorry. :D
Why do they call it the "Break In Period" ? Because when you are learning how to use the tool properly, you are most likely "Breaking" it in.
You work hard for the money to buy a tool, then you work hard to maintain that tool, and then someone says let me use it. If people were like Henry David Thoreau, you would lend out your whole shop, just to enjoy the advantage of the tune up, and sharpenings. :)

Jason Scott
01-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow, interesting topic and replies...I just had to chime in here b/c I have always felt guilty for being "selfish" and not wanting to lend my tools or anything else out...Basically for all the reasons mentioned, people just do not take care of them like I do, and then act like they received it in the way the brought them back in, NOT...Case in point, is my older brother...He always used to "take" my stuff when we were kids living at home, and always broke/damaged it and didn't give a damn...Now that we are adults, he still does it :rolleyes: Well he doesn't steal stuff from me anymore but just the other day he called and asked to borrow my mig welder setup...I gave in and he came over and picked all of it up...What do you wanna bet either, A) I don't get it back B) I get it back empty of gas C) Get it back Damaged D) Get it back broke...Notice there is not a E) Get it back in the same condition, b/c he just is not that kind of person...Oh well it is just stuff, but it still bothers me...I will tell you this though, the reason he got the welder is b/c I rarely use it, if he asked for my Powermatic TS, FAT CHANCE, I would cut what he needed, PERIOD...

Roger Myers
01-31-2008, 8:16 AM
I have a number of woodworking friends to whom I would loan any tool I own. I have a good idea of their skill and have seen the way they care for their own tools. I know they will care for my tools and return them clean, sharp, and in as good or better condition as when they got them. On the other hand, there are some folks to whom I wouldn't loan something as simple and virtually unbreakable as a crow bar. I've seen the way they care for their own stuff and figure that if they keep theirs in such rotten condition that my tools wouldn't have a chance.

Summary: only if I have confidence in their skills and ability to care for tools. I've not yet been burned with this approach. Do I say no? You betcha!!

Now Dave, whadda ya mean by that? :D
I'm exactly aligned in my thinking and response with Dave (how scary is that) and he is one of the few people I would loan anything in my shop to... In fact, I suspect that anything I loan to Dave (hmmm...what can I possibly have that he doesn't?) will come back to me sharper than when he borrowed it. There are several others in our Guild that I would also loan tools, books, etc. to...
But unless I know the person will respect the tools or property the same as I would..not a chance!
Roger

Mark Valsi
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm lucky! In the neighborhood we live, the neighbors are friendly, but not real close. No one has ever asked me to loan them a tool, thank goodness! I'd hate to say no !

but if you loan out a tool (or money) you may lose the tool/money and the friend if neither is returned.

Bill Wyko
01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
The only person I loan tools to is my BIL. That way there's only one person to go to to get them back.:D He'd do the same for me so it's mutual.

FRITZ STOOP
01-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Not even to my own dear Mother, may she rest in peace!

Amy Leigh Baker
01-31-2008, 5:03 PM
I would lend out tools with the stipulation that if you break it, you buy it.

I have to admit I have rarely paid for any of the tools I own, but then again I don't own too many, yet.

My old landlord in NYC let me have more than a few, but him and I spent countless hours remodeling the apartment he rented me. He thought of me like a daughter, even though he already has three.

Then at my old jobsite, after the project was over, the construction management company I worked for said, "Anything in the office trailer other than computers we don't want back." I got an 18v Dewalt cordless drill, a circular saw, a laser printer, drill bits, a leather desk chair, 100 sheets of sheetrock, 5000 drywall screws, etc, etc, etc. And I didn't get as much as some people.

The portable table saw I borrowed from a maintenance company that I know and I will probably have to give it back, although it's really not a very good saw. It's got lots of problems, doesn't cut straight, it's really loud, probably won't last much longer anyway, and they have lots and lots of money, and they have a bigger better saw anyway, I mean why do they need it back anyway, they don't need it, right? :D

I did pay for my biscuit jointer :)

My compound miter saw I borrowed from a guy, but... uh um... he doesn't deserve it back :mad:

Ron Bontz
02-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I never loan my tools out or let anyone use my shop. My relatives understand. At least the non-self serving ones do. My insurance agent once said it was a huge liability problem. Second: Forget about the cost of the tool. It is not whether you win or loose a law suite. It is how much it is going to cost you to defend yourself. Even experienced woodworkers have been known to cut their fingers off. Do you really think your insurance will step up, because you loaned a tool to a "friend" with good hearted intentions and he/she is now filing suite against you for lost wages and permanent disability. Just a thought.