PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw recommendation

Scott Thornton
05-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Rikon 14" Deluxe, 13 inch resaw or...

Grizzly (debating on models, would have to get a 17 or 19 to get 12 inch resaw)

Rikon is 749.99, Grizzly is 850 - 1000

Any advise would be appreciated.

Derrell W Sloan
05-15-2007, 1:02 AM
I recently got the 19 inch grizzly G0514x and am very happy with it. I selected it over the 18 inch Rikon. There are many who have the 17 inch grizzly that really like it as well.

Ken Massingale
05-15-2007, 7:18 AM
I haven't used a Grizzly so I can't compare, but I highly recommend the Rikon 10-325 Deluxe. I resaw 10-11" thick stock to consistant thickness end-to-end and top-to-bottom.

Lance Norris
05-15-2007, 8:10 AM
10" resaw Grizzly g0457. Great saw, around $900 with shipping.

Brad Townsend
05-15-2007, 9:06 AM
If you are going to be doing a lot of resawing, bear in mind that you will have many more options for wider and thicker resaw blades with a bigger saw. Running many larger blades on a 14" saw is generally not recommended as when blades get wider, they tend to get thicker as well. Running a thicker blade in such a small arc leads to premature blade failure.

That being said, you certainly CAN resaw nicely with a 14" saw. You just wouldn't want to resaw an entire forest with one.:D A 14" has advantages of it's own, including smaller footprint, higher table height for fine work (being 6'3" and advantage for me - maybe different for others), and generally lower cost.

Jim Becker
05-15-2007, 9:39 AM
The bigger Grizzly would likely be my choice over the 14" Rikon. Different class of machine and if you want to re-saw, the added power. Something like the G0513X, perhaps...

Eddie Darby
05-15-2007, 5:52 PM
The Rikon is #1 in this article.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/upload/contents/335/NOV06PW_40-44_BAND%20SAWS.pdf

Hope this helps.

Russ Massery
05-15-2007, 9:03 PM
I've had the G0513X for about 5 Months now. Could not be happier. It scrolls
well and resaws with excellent result's. I feel it's a great value.

William Fourness
05-15-2007, 9:22 PM
We just had the chance to pick up a new Grizzly 21" bandsaw with the the 5 hp motor. And I could not be happier. Except for getting it paid off and getting another Grizzly to add to my growing collection.

Bill

Scott Thornton
05-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Anyone know what the main difference between the 5013x and 5013? They appear to have the same cutting capcities, but one is the extreme series and the othe is not.

Thanks.

Craig D Peltier
05-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Grizs summer sale is up on there website.The GO53 Ive been looking at is marked down. 95% of others are marked down too.

Burt Alcantara
05-16-2007, 9:59 AM
If you're near a Woodcraft see if that have either or both. I've been looking at a larger bandsaw as I am ruining mine with logs. My local WC has the 17" Rikon and Jet side by side. What was surprising to me was the fit and finish between both. The Jet appeared to be much the superior saw.

The fence on the Rikon as not very stable and was flimsy. The Jet's was more solid and held better.

Turning the wheels also felt smoother on the Jet. The guides on the Jet were better, the dust port was under the table rather then at the wheel.

If I had to pick between the two, the Jet hands down. However, I may end up with the Grizz because there's more bang for the buck. I own the G0555, and their 6" jointer. The bandsaw has served me very well - no complaints at all. If I had the money, I'd buy a 20" Agazzani.

Burt

Benjamin Dahl
05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Scott, I am in a similar process and was convinced that I would go with an 18" saw, and I still might. I saw the 14" Rikon last night and it looks to be a pretty decent machine. The salesman at the store thought that it was a better saw than the Rikon 18". At a recent show he said he cut wet turning blanks for about 6-8 hours a day over three or four days and had no problems. The review in an earlier post also commented on its ability to resaw. Not sure what I will do yet but definitely considering the 14" Rikon.
Ben

Scott Thornton
05-16-2007, 3:09 PM
Yeah, I definately like the Rikon, it has a 13inch resaw capacity, seems to be popular. One thing I noticed though (was at Woodcraft), when locking the fence down, it wobbles quite a bit...could not be adjusted since it's a demo, maybe someone mess with it, who knows...just seemed to be a problem...

Michael McCoy
05-16-2007, 4:17 PM
Scott - just a guess but I'd almost bet the Woodcraft Rikon didn't have a little brass key in the fence clamping mechanism. When I first got mine, the manual didn't (and still doesn't) say what it's for. A couple of good guesses by some web folks made the little movement go away when the key was inserted.

Bill Wyko
05-16-2007, 4:33 PM
I do know that the Rikon has sealed bearing guides I don't know about the grizly though. I do own the rikon 14" but not the deluxe. I will say that it is the best bandsaw I've ever used though. It's is very precise and powerful for the money.IMHO I'd go with the Rikon.

Paul Gauthier
05-16-2007, 6:38 PM
I have the Rikon 10-325 delux and cannot reccomend it highly enough, it is a great saw. reasonably quiet and very smooth running, I have only had a few weeks so still in the learning process but am very pleased with it.