PDA

View Full Version : jointer dust collection yorkcraft owners!!!

Trey Isbell
05-14-2007, 8:58 PM
I have an 8" jointer (yorkcraft) that I upgraded the port to 6" but I guess the design isn't that good because I still have chips that are not getting caught by the dust collector which has plenty of suction. I have chips flying back to the infeed table. Has anybody modified this jointer with a port that goes right up under the cutterhead.

Raymond Eade
05-16-2007, 8:52 AM
I have the same problem with my 6 inch jointer. I think that the first thing I am going to try is to seal around the bottom of the jointer where it sits on the stand, there is quite a gap all around that location. I am thinking that foam pipe insulation should do the job.

Al Willits
05-16-2007, 8:56 AM
I have the 8" Yorkie too, and there is a bit of shavings that come out towards the in feed table, but I didn't think it was enough to deal with, I just brush them off and sweep them up during one of my many cleaning binges...:D

Wondering if sealing off the bottm might restrict air flow to much?

Al

Trey Isbell
05-19-2007, 1:27 AM
I have the 8" Yorkie too, and there is a bit of shavings that come out towards the in feed table, but I didn't think it was enough to deal with, I just brush them off and sweep them up during one of my many cleaning binges...:D

Wondering if sealing off the bottm might restrict air flow to much?

Al

FOUND A FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM I TOOK THE JOINTER LOOSE FROM THE STAND AND FOUND OUT HOW POORLY THIS THING IS DESIGNED IN THE MEANS OF DUST COLLECTION. THERE ARE TWO V SHAPED PIECES THAT COME DOWN BELOW THE BLADES AND SURROUND THEM I MOUNTED A 5X10 HVAC HOOD RIGHT TO THE BOTTOM OF THAT. NOW THERE IS DIRECT SUCTION UNDER THE CUTTERHEAD AND NO AIR LEAKS. I HAVE VERY FEW CHIPS NOW. IT IS VERY MINIMAL COMPARED TO WHAT IT USED TO BE.