PDA

View Full Version : Q: Moisture Filter for Air Compressor

Doug Cloud
05-14-2007, 8:44 PM
Howdy everyone (waves). I just signed up on this forum because I needed someplace to ask question about my new toy - a Campbell Hausfeld Twin-Stack 2 gallon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HDJHDG/002-8060267-4668850) air compressor. I'm pretty geeked about owning this new toy, because I've always wanted a compressor of my very own. Now I've read some posts on this forum and I can tell CH isn't a favored brand as far as air compressors go, but I'm very satisfied with it so far.

This compressor came with a 1/4" nail/stapler and I just used it for the first time today. I was amazed how fast and easy it was to nail two boards together with this gun. Why I didn't do this a long time ago I don't know. I recently purchased a Dyson vacuum and was using too many cans of compressed air to clean it out with so I splurged on the compressor. Considering the costs of those cans of air the compressor should pay for itself in just a couple months.

My main question is about moisture. A friend recommended I purchase a moisture filter (http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-G6261-Water-Filter/dp/B0000DD5BX/ref=sr_1_60/002-8060267-4668850?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1179191342&sr=1-60), since I don't want to risk getting any moisture inside the vacuum or especially my computer (when I blow that out). I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a moisture filter? I looked around online and I think all I need is a simple one with a glass bowl and a desiccant filter.

Also, how should I hook the filter up? Since it's a vertical filter I was thinking of just permanently attaching it right to the tank (with a 3/8" x 3/8" male coupling) and then putting a 1/4 in. male NPT plug on the other end so I could just snap the air hose onto it. Or perhaps I should put a male 1/4" quick connect plug on the one side of the filter itself and the 1/4 in. male NPT plug on the one end of the air hose?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Doug Cloud
05-14-2007, 9:30 PM
Also, where would I find the oil for the nail gun? I've been looking around, but all I find is oil for the compressor. The manual says I need 30W non-detergent oil, but then it also says not to use detergent oils, oil additives, or air tool oils (????). Ok, so if I shouldn't use air tool oil then what should I use? lol

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Charles McKinley
05-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Welcome Doug,

About any big box store will have these two things. The oil for the nailer will usually be near the nails and staples for the guns. The moisture filters are usually near the comperssors. I'm not sure I would use the compressor for the computer but if you do I would also put one of the plastic disposable filters on right before the blow gun in Addition to to filter comming out of the tank. The disposable filters will be near the spray guns. If they do not have them go to a store that carries automotive pain supplies.

Do not get an oilir filter combo unless you will only use that hose for tools and NOTHING else. Once used with and oiler the hose will always be comtaminated.

Enjoy your new toy and keep your fingers out of the way ;)

Doug Cloud
05-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Charles, thanks for the welcome and the info. Would you know where I could find those items on the Web? I'd like to see a visual image of what you're describing so I know what to look for.

My main purpose for buying this compressor was to save me from having to buy all those cans of air. Also, I think I may need a straight air hose, as opposed to one that curls. I've found a nice rubber one made by Goodyear, but then there's also some that are PVC? I don't know what that means, but the straight rubber ones look like the best bet.

Thanks again.

Charles McKinley
05-15-2007, 10:40 PM
HI doug lost a long reply, so in short.

Yes get the Good year hoses. The cheap ones are stiff and a real PITA to work with.

This is also a great hose. You can get it shorter this is just to give you and idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Flexeel-Pneumatic-Air-Hose-100/dp/B000ASTF2G/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/002-0563381-2525637?ie=UTF8&qid=1179281435&sr=1-71

In line filter: thes are more expensive than What I was thinking of but give you the idea. Put it on the end of the hose near the quick coupler for the tool.

http://www.amazon.com/SPEEDAIRE-6ZC63-Dryer-Air-Filter/dp/B000LD7Y3W/ref=sr_1_71/002-0563381-2525637?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1179281435&sr=1-71

The filter you link to in the first post should be fine if you have a regulator on the compressor. If not get a regualtor and filter togeather. Harbor Freight has them for under $20.

Buy MILTON or another USA made quick coupler. The chineese ones leak and will drive you nuts.

Draining the compressor- depending on where you drain is take out the petcock and replace it with a 1/4 turn ball valve and use a street elbow and a nipple to get the valve to where it is east to reach you drop the air after each use if you want to keep it the driest.

Hope this helps

Doug Cloud
05-16-2007, 1:30 AM
Charles, once again thank you for the great info. I found a great deal on that CH mositure filter on eBay - ten of them for $20. I couldn't pass that up. As for the drain valve I hate to ask you this again, but could you link me to some images so I can see what you mean?

I'll pick up some of those inline filters as well as a new hose. I'm going to look for some of these things tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your great help.

Al Willits
05-16-2007, 8:28 AM
If you don't ever want oil to shoot out of your hose, do not add a in line oiler, I'm repeating that because oil in your air line will ruin that line for none oil projects, like spraying finishes or blowing off your computer.
Marvel makes a good oil for air tools and a few drops into the tool air intake will usually work just fine, read each tools manual to be sure.

I'd try a auto parts store that sells paint, they'll have everything you need to filter the air of dust and moisture, remember you usually get what you pay for and I learned the hard way to spend a bit extra on filtering.
Kinda depends on what your doing with the air, I was doing a bit of automotive style painting and need as clean and dry a air as I could get, running a air nailer probably wouldn't need as filtered air, but better to much than not enough I figure. imho

Al

Jim Becker
05-16-2007, 8:38 AM
I highly recommend the Flexeel hoses...

And welcome to SMC!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-16-2007, 8:41 AM
Go to (WWW).smcetech.com/CC_host/pages/custom/templates/smc_v2/prodtree_product_2.cfm?cc_nvl=((CC,smc,A_E,6033))

Doug Cloud
05-16-2007, 9:07 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I went to Home Depot this morning and bought some supplies - a blowgun kit, a Husky moisture filter, and some couplings (to put it all together). I know I already bought the CH filters off eBay, but what's one more filter, eh?

I attached the filter directly to the air port on the compressor and then screwed one end of the air hose to that. I would have added another quick connector to the filter, but then I didn't want too many couplings on the line.

I found a 50' Flexeel hose here (http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=745) for $40. I'll have to wait to pick up the hose, but I think I'm all set to go for right now.

Thanks again everyone for the great help. Cliff I have no idea what that link was for.

Jim Heffner
05-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Howdy everyone (waves). I just signed up on this forum because I needed someplace to ask question about my new toy - a Campbell Hausfeld Twin-Stack 2 gallon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HDJHDG/002-8060267-4668850) air compressor. I'm pretty geeked about owning this new toy, because I've always wanted a compressor of my very own. Now I've read some posts on this forum and I can tell CH isn't a favored brand as far as air compressors go, but I'm very satisfied with it so far.

This compressor came with a 1/4" nail/stapler and I just used it for the first time today. I was amazed how fast and easy it was to nail two boards together with this gun. Why I didn't do this a long time ago I don't know. I recently purchased a Dyson vacuum and was using too many cans of compressed air to clean it out with so I splurged on the compressor. Considering the costs of those cans of air the compressor should pay for itself in just a couple months.

My main question is about moisture. A friend recommended I purchase a moisture filter (http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-G6261-Water-Filter/dp/B0000DD5BX/ref=sr_1_60/002-8060267-4668850?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1179191342&sr=1-60), since I don't want to risk getting any moisture inside the vacuum or especially my computer (when I blow that out). I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a moisture filter? I looked around online and I think all I need is a simple one with a glass bowl and a desiccant filter.

Also, how should I hook the filter up? Since it's a vertical filter I was thinking of just permanently attaching it right to the tank (with a 3/8" x 3/8" male coupling) and then putting a 1/4 in. male NPT plug on the other end so I could just snap the air hose onto it. Or perhaps I should put a male 1/4" quick connect plug on the one side of the filter itself and the 1/4 in. male NPT plug on the one end of the air hose?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Doug, Harbor freight has all those items you mentioned that you need.
Pick up a good FRL unit it filters, regulates,lubricates your air tools all in one unit, and the price is really reasonable. They also have the air tool
oil for the tools or you can use a can of Marvel Mystery oil it works very well and will prevent rust from forming inside the tools.

Just be sure to drain the condensate from the compressor at least once a week (more if really use it a lot) and the compressor and tools will last a lot longer if you do this regularly.

Doug Cloud
05-31-2007, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the info, Jim. I got a great deal on air filters - ten Cambel Hausfeld filters (brand new) for $20 on eBay. Now I'm looking to get another hose and I have a question about that. Should I get a 1/4" hose with 1/4" NPT or a 3/8" hose with 1/4" NPT?

I'm unsure of the size thing. My compressor has standard 1/4" fittings.

Rich Engelhardt
06-01-2007, 7:04 AM
Hello Doug,

Should I get a 1/4" hose with 1/4" NPT or a 3/8" hose with 1/4" NPT?

With such a small tank (2 gal)/small delivery compresssor, you need to consider a few things.

- 2 gal will only deliver a small burst of air before it's exhausted. Adding a 50 foot run of 3/8" hose will increase the storage capacity quite a bit. 1/4" hose, not so much.

- The trade off is that the recovery time will increase. The pump will cycle approx twice as much to refill the 50' of 3/8" hose as it does to fill a 50 ' run of 1/4" hose.

"Normal" convention is to use a larger hose to increase you air capacity, then step down to a smaller hose for flexibility (whip end).
What I've found with my miniscule 1 gal Coleman ($49.00 from Lowes last "Black Friday") is that it runs a 50' 3/8" hose fairly well for most things.

For blowing off dust however, it simply can't keep up, so I step down to the coiled 1/4" hose it came with. The pump still runs constantly, but the wait time for it to build pressure is far less.

More cycles = more wear = shorter lifespan as well as the aggrevation of waiting on the compressor to build up to pressure.

Again. Convention is to take the air to the work, not the compressor itself. I've found that with my 1 gal mini that it's better to use an extension cord and take the compressor closer to the work than it is to use additional hose to take the air to the work.

All of this really depends on the CFM/SCFM delivery of the compressor, and the amount of current it draws under load and/or at start.
CH usually matches their storage to the delivery of the air. The higher end/more expensive portables - like- DeWalt, Porter Cable etc usually undermatch storage to delivery, and size their motors around a 14 amp draw.

In plain English - a DeWalt or PC - is going to be able to push out more air than the small tanks would indicate. You can add additional storage and/or longer runs of hose - or mulitple runs of hose without taxing the pump. They will aslo run on a 15 amp circut w/out tripping the breaker, even when they start against pressure and/or surge. They can also run fine on the end of a standard 25' outdoor extension cord.
These are critical features for a job site where power is "iffy" and/or shared. (A roofer sure doesn't want to stop, climb down and reset a breaker every time someone plugs a circ saw in for a quick cut).
Along with using more robust components, and having a readily available source of parts for a rebuild, that's why you pay more for the higher end ones - (in case you wondered).
Aside from the more robust parts, these features are pretty much lost on a regular home user.

Now - after all this - what I would suggest is that you go with 3/8" hose.
The reason is pretty simple. It will work ok for the CH 2 gal you have now, and be a better fit for the larger compressor you're going to buy somewhere down the road.
I have a 3.5HP w/15 gal tank also, and it see's far less use since I picked up the mini. It still has it's uses - and then some - don't get me wrong.
A couple/three compressors are the handiest things you can have around the house.
- Small portable.
- Mid-size for the stuff the small one can't handle. (Framing nailer, air drill, 3/8" ratchet, etc)
- Large (60 gal 5HP and above) for jobs that demand a lot of air (spraying).

FWIW -
I pushed my little mini to the max and beyond. At one point, I had it running two 18 ga guns, one with 1 1/4" staples and the other with 1 1/4" brads,,,,and,,connected to an aux 5 gal tank,,and on the end of a 100' extension cord - just to see how it would do. It strained to keep up and we had to wait on it to refill the 5 gal tank & it ran constantly for about 4 hours. Still in all, it ran like a top.

I also used it with the 1/4" coiled hose it came with and my Porter Cable 16 ga finishing nailer to put up crown molding in the living room and kitchen as well as baseboard and shoe molding in a 20X25' living room. Using the smaller & shorter hose, it had no trouble keeping up with the finishing nailer. All the nails were driven flush.

I have to do some framing in the basement - so - we'll see if it can run a framing nailer. I kind of doubt it,,,but,,it might.

<grin>Welcome to the "dark side" of air. I can tell by the line "Why I didn't do this a long time ago I don't know." You've been bitten by the bug.
Enjoy your CH - by keeping your work within it's air limitations and the cycles on the pump low and everything drained, it should give you years of service.

<I'll shut up now - I've carried on long enough>

Doug Cloud
06-01-2007, 7:30 AM
Wow. Thanks for all that, Rich :) Lot of helpful info there. I've already become accustomed to the compressor running every five seconds when I'm using the blowgun. If I do get annoyed then I just chant to myself, "I'm not buying cans of air....I'm not buying cans of air...."

I think I'll go with a 3/8" hose with 1/4" NPT like you suggested. But now that you've mentioned the coiled hose I'm wondering if I even need a hose at all. The CH came with a coiled hose and the only time I'd need a lengthy hose if I used the nail gun.

And that brings me to another question....what is the difference if a hose is 200, 250, or 300 PSI?

Andrew Williams
06-01-2007, 7:51 AM
I just use a bottle of CH Air Tool Oil from Lowes or Tractor Supply. Before using the brad nailer I just put a few drops of oil in the air input port of the gun. An oiler would be serious overkill for the amount that I use the nailer, and besides, I would rather have my hose free of oil. You can tell it's working right when just a little bit of oil gets ejected by the blow-by port near the trigger.

Doug Cloud
06-01-2007, 5:27 PM
And that brings me to another question....what is the difference if a hose is 200, 250, or 300 PSI?

Anyone?

Rich Engelhardt
06-01-2007, 7:17 PM
Hi Doug,

200, 250, or 300 PSI?

Usually the working and/or max pressures of air hose is listed in bar.
300 psi is 20 bar, and 200 psi is 13.3 bar
(IIRC - yep just checked)

Different work enviroments require specific type of hose, not necessarliy simple pressure ratings alone.
The requirements for a woodshop for instance would be different than for a garage -where a possibility of oil coming in contact with the air hose exists.

For general around the house chores, with a single stage compressor, plain 13.3 bar air hose is sufficient. If you plan on flexing the hose quite a bit, then go with the rubber hose rated for 13.3bar. If you forsee mostly straight runs (I join 2 50' sections together to hit the extreme back edge of my yard - but it's a straight run & I use a coiled length at the end), then I've found the bright orange plastic (= cheap) works just fine.

Anyhow - the basic difference between the different pressure ratings usually boils down to OSHA guidelines &/or local codes.

Doug Cloud
06-01-2007, 8:09 PM
Thanks, Rich. Now I know to look for a 3/8" hose with 1/4" NPT at 200 PSI.