PDA

View Full Version : Cache 22- Delta Bandsaw

Dick Sylvan
05-14-2007, 8:37 PM
Several years ago I bought a Delta 14" open stand bandsaw and later realized that it only had a 1/2 hp motor which is a little light for serious resawing. So I wanted to upgrade to a larger motor and discovered that larger HP motors all seem to be 3450 RPM vs. the 1725 on my existing saw. Thus, to move up I would have to change pulley sizes and I have been told this is difficult to do. Am I stuck with this saw? I would appreciate help from anyone who can.

David Weaver
05-14-2007, 8:42 PM
I don't know how much you're looking at spending on another motor, but what's keeping you from selling the saw as is on craigslist and buying a slightly larger saw?

It might cost a couple of bucks more - might not - but it will save headaches, and you'd get a bigger machine to boot. Maybe something like a 17 or 18 inch saw with more resaw capacity.

That's all easy for me to say when it's not my money.

James Carmichael
05-14-2007, 9:03 PM
Several years ago I bought a Delta 14" open stand bandsaw and later realized that it only had a 1/2 hp motor which is a little light for serious resawing. So I wanted to upgrade to a larger motor and discovered that larger HP motors all seem to be 3450 RPM vs. the 1725 on my existing saw. Thus, to move up I would have to change pulley sizes and I have been told this is difficult to do. Am I stuck with this saw? I would appreciate help from anyone who can.

You can find 1725 rpm motors in the 1-2 hp range. Try some local electrical shops, or ebay.

Mike Cutler
05-14-2007, 9:21 PM
The 1725 motors aren't hard to come by.
If you have to go 3450,the pulleys are easy to replace. The ratio would be an additional 1:2 on the existing pulley wheeel diameter if replaced with 3450 vice 1725., Better yet, just workout blade speed in FPM and pick the appropiate pulleys.
The open stand bandsaw converts to a larger motor very easily.

Dick Sylvan
05-15-2007, 12:24 AM
All good suggestions. Thanks. Meant to say "Catch 22".