PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion or Monster?

Rich Chilcot
05-14-2007, 8:29 PM
I know this beating a dead horse again, but I have narrowed my next tool purchase to a hollowing system. In particular, I am considering Don Pencil's Scorpion or Monster tools system. I will at the present time use it in an uncaptured arrangement, but will someday upgrade to a captured system. Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Tony De Masi
05-15-2007, 7:24 AM
Rich, I highly suggest you get both. That way you can educate the rest of us who are looking towards the same type of tool purchase. :D

Tony

Rich Chilcot
05-15-2007, 9:34 AM
Indeed; however, I need to check on my life insurance policies. SWMBO will use the monster on me and then the scorpion to hollow me out.;)

Keith Burns
05-15-2007, 9:40 AM
Both are good products. However if it was me, I would get the Monster Tools. Later when you add the captive set up you won't have any problems adapting. Monster Tools is absolutely the best with customer service.

Dario Octaviano
05-15-2007, 9:50 AM
I went through this last year and eventually went with Monster Hollowing System (no regrets too).

I have the captive system w/ laser and for me, I believe it gives the most bang for my buck. Compare what you are getting for the cost since not all systems offer the same components.

Good luck with your choice!

Bob Hallowell
05-16-2007, 12:37 AM
I also just went through this, and chose the Monster as did Bernie at the same Time. I know I love mine but I would also get the captive system if you can swing it.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2007, 9:57 AM
Monster tool for me also. Randy even made and sold me a adaptor so I could use my Kelton hollowing tools with the Monster captured rig and laser.

Bill Wyko
05-16-2007, 4:11 PM
Have you looked at the clark hollowing system? I just got mine today:D As far as I know it's the only one that allows you to change the angle of the cutting tooth and the angle of the lazer will follow so you can maintain thickness with the change. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow.

Randy Privett
05-16-2007, 4:40 PM
Bill,

The Monster has the capability to do this also.:)

Randy

Bill Wyko
05-16-2007, 5:12 PM
I never got a chance to see a good picture of a monster. I have heard a lot of good things about them though. Have you guys seen the Clark steady system?

Rich Chilcot
05-16-2007, 6:49 PM
In the process of making a decision, I ran across Behemoth Woodturning Tools. Anyone heard of these?

Bob Hallowell
05-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Bill,
Randy is the maker of the Monster that's why he is in the know!:D

By the way Randy Still loving it.

Rich,
I still think the Moster is the best bang for your buck, and the tool really lives up to it's name there is alot of metal there.

Bob