PDA

View Full Version : Iowa lumber source

Eric Lewis
05-14-2007, 8:12 PM
I'm new to woodworking and was wondering if anyone knew of a good source of lumber in central Iowa? I don't have have a planer, does that limit me to the big-box stores for now? Thanks!

Jameel Abraham
05-14-2007, 8:16 PM
I can recommend some in east central Iowa. By the Foot in Norway. Hill Hardwood in Iowa City. I know of a few others, but these are good ones. Hill has exotics too.

Eric Lewis
05-14-2007, 8:43 PM
I can recommend some in east central Iowa. By the Foot in Norway. Hill Hardwood in Iowa City. I know of a few others, but these are good ones. Hill has exotics too.

Thanks. I know the Woodsmith store in Des Moines has decent selection, at least for what I would need to start with, but I was looking for somewhere to compare prices/quality. I have family in Western Illinois so I'll keep those places you mentioned in mind for the next road trip.

Kev Godwin
05-14-2007, 8:51 PM
Eric,
In the past I have purchased wood from a lumber mill just outside of Boone, IA. I'm not at my own desk and don't have the name handy. If you check the Boone and Ogden areas for lumber mills you'll probably find it.
Kev

Al Willits
05-14-2007, 9:26 PM
North central Iowa has this place in Lime Springs and we did pretty well there as far as choices and prices..

http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/generic87.html

Al

John Schoenauer
05-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Dunham Hardwoods in Dunlap IA. I haven't bought anything but have heard good things. http://www.dunham-hardwoods.com/default.asp
John Schoenauer

Steve Roxberg
05-14-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm new to woodworking and was wondering if anyone knew of a good source of lumber in central Iowa? I don't have have a planer, does that limit me to the big-box stores for now? Thanks!

Eric,

Try Liberty Hardwoods in Ankeny, IA.

I haven't been there, but their location in Kansas City is my go to place for hardwoods and ply.

I would also recommend Woodsmith, the prices are higher, but you can hand pick and select for your project.

Jason Crees
05-15-2007, 8:43 PM
Gilcrest Jewit lumber yard in Waukee has maple, oak, cherry and walnut. I have not used any of it, but a friend of mine works there and said it is pretty good. I think in the $3-4/bd. ft. range.

Eric Lewis
05-17-2007, 9:26 PM
Thanks everyone, appreciate the insight. This is a great forum, I'm a very impressed new user/member!

Doug M Jones
05-18-2007, 6:22 AM
Eric,
I purchase a lot of my wood from Buttermore Lumber Mill between Boone and Ogden (it was mentioned in a previous post). They have Oak, Walnut, Cedar, Cherry, Maple, Hickory and some others that I have not used. Good prices and surfaced 2 sides. I don't have a planer but I can get a straight edge on the table saw and have made several projects with their lumber.

Nice folks,

josh bjork
05-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi eric, I have heard there is a lumber store in marshalltown too, haven't seen it. maybe it is just a guy with a shed. I go to ogden because it is close to home. i think their oak is ok and the rest of the stuff is so so. A lot of crooked boards there and if you don't have a jointer you might get pretty frustrated with some of the wood. A lot of common grade or something, you have to be picky. They can joint a side for you and it doesn't cost much. Definitely worth 50 cents a board or whatever it costs if you don't have a jointer. My neighbor gets wood delivered to the jobsite from Gilcrest and the quality is much better looking for the most part in the little I have seen.