PDA

View Full Version : creative storage suggestions

Jacob Snow
05-14-2007, 4:12 PM
Ok so i am looking for some creative ways to store wood and create some decent work space. I have a 11x16' shop but the but the roof is barn shaped so it has very short walls (slightly less the 48") and then 2 different pitches to the roof.

http://www.pbase.com/lrdtalon/shop

This also shows most of the equipment that i have, what i am looking for is some ideas for more creative ways to store wood and stuff. Just some thoughts or ideas/products would be nice. Thanks in advance :)

Frederick Rowe
05-14-2007, 7:18 PM
Jacob - Most smaller shops maximize space by mounting the larger tools on mobile bases. Tools such as your small bandsaw could be relocated to a shop built table on casters. I'd look at moving the storage items from your steel shelving to some shelves mounted on the walls. Perhaps a variation to your ceiling mounted wood storage rack. Space is almost always a challenge, more so when you have the gambreled/hipped roof. Search shop storage in SMC, you'll likely find some good ideas.

Joe Chritz
05-14-2007, 9:08 PM
I have an overhead rack that will hold around 150 or so board feet but as much as it sucks I usually store my rough lumber at the supplier down the road.

I don't save enough to justify buying more than 100 BF at once.

Other than that the wheels idea is the best for small spaces.

Joe

Bob Noles
05-14-2007, 9:31 PM
Jacob,

I have a 12X17 shop and ran into the same problem. I ended up building a wood storage rack out under the carport. Works great and only a short walk from the shop to grab a board.

You may have the option of storing your wood off site if you look around and think hard. Sure did relieve a lot of problem with cramped space for me.

Jacob Snow
05-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Great ideas!

Thanks.

Bert Johansen
05-15-2007, 5:36 PM
Jacob, the photo in the link below shows my carport solution. These are really sturdy shelves (called "gondolas") of the kind used by grocery and hardware stores. These were used, and I paid about $80 for this double set. (They come in standard lengths of 4 feet.) Each shelf holds 500 lbs.

Search the link: Wood storage Racks

Jacob Snow
05-16-2007, 11:03 AM
the link doesn't work...

glenn bradley
05-16-2007, 12:08 PM
I've found you can store many things under the beds if you get there before someone else does.