PDA

View Full Version : sculpted rockers

nick brigg
05-14-2007, 3:43 PM
can someone out there suggest a book or dvd on the subject...im very interested in building one of my own one day and i'd really like to research the "goings on" into building one of these.

Richard Wolf
05-14-2007, 3:54 PM
The best source for infomation on building a "Maloof style rocker" is a set of plans and instructions by Hal Taylor. Once you get past the sticker shock I think it is one of the few ways a person could realisticly build that type of rocker.

Richard

nick brigg
05-14-2007, 5:45 PM
yikes about 275 bucks?

Richard Wolf
05-14-2007, 6:58 PM
yikes about 275 bucks?

I know, I figured I'd let you go down that road by yourself.
Let me point out a few things,
Hal has spent a great deal of time and effort writing what amounts to an unbound book with loads of color pictures and drawings. He has designed many jigs with full instructions on making them.
Also included are some hardwood templates and a set of full size drawings for each different size rocker.
While it is not designed for the casual reader, unless you plan on taking a class in rocker building, this really seems like the way to go. If you plan on building a rocker of this style, which when complete could easily be worth well over $1,000.
As a side note, I don't think Hal Taylor is on Sam Maloof's Christmas card list.

Richard

Gary Herrmann
05-14-2007, 7:16 PM
I've seen Hal's site. If I were wanting to make a rocker, I would strongly consider his set of plans.

Roy McQuay
05-14-2007, 7:47 PM
The best source for infomation on building a "Maloof style rocker" is a set of plans and instructions by Hal Taylor. Once you get past the sticker shock I think it is one of the few ways a person could realisticly build that type of rocker.

RichardThanks for the info. Though the price does seem high, it looks like you would get a very nice chair worth much more. I bookmarked the site for when I think I have the ability to make one.

David Dundas
05-15-2007, 5:40 AM
There are much more reasonably priced plans on CD for a similar style of rocker, but with an upholstered seat, here (http://www.dldundas.com/). The full-scale plans come in three different versions, inch or metric, with mortise and tenon joinery, or metric, with Domino joinery. The upholstered seat makes this rocker very comfortable, but it is not, of course quite as elegant as the ones with a sculptured solid-wood seat.

David Dundas

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-15-2007, 6:31 AM
can someone out there suggest a book or dvd on the subject...im very interested in building one of my own one day and i'd really like to research the "goings on" into building one of these.

Don't expect the Sam Maloof DVD to be terribly helpful.

David Dundas ( a Creeker) has a set of plans he is offering at a rather good price.

Larry Crim
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Nick
I have the Hal taylor plans and template for the seat, I have not started on the rocker yet I have bought the wood and have all the tools required, I have read the plans several times and am glad I spent the money They are very well written and Hal offers all kinds of support to assist you in completing your chair from email to phone support. I would recommend it.
Larry

Brian Penning
05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Another website for plans here..http://www.mesquiterocker.com/index_chair-plans.html

Also another one here...http://www.kappelusa.com/how_to_build.asp

I've made a few rockers using gathered info from Maloof's DVD and an article published by him roughly describing how he makes his chairs. I also used the seminar photos in the 1st link above for help.