PDA

View Full Version : recent bowls

Jeff Rich
01-03-2004, 7:33 PM
Hi Guys....
I finally had time to do some turning after some long months of progress meetings and construction delays for several projects at work.
I do have a question about one of the woods I used....I got a blank from rockler called canary, anyone have any info? Hope you like them.

Jim Becker
01-03-2004, 9:38 PM
Very nice. I really like the horizontal grain pattern of the mulberry piece.

Canary wood is a tropical hardwood that has yellowish and red bands. I've only seen it in small planks and pen blanks at most suppliers, but have seen some panels, etc., in furniture projects done with it as an accent. It's pretty busy for full furniture projects but for turning it can be pretty neat as you can see. Your seems to be a little darker than what I've used, however.

Tom Sweeney
01-03-2004, 10:18 PM
I really like the mulberry bowl - nice lines and I also like the grain orientation. All 3 look good - just wondering if the first one is a little "tipsy" with that foot design. It looks about like the proportions on a small candy dish I did recently & the dish wants to tip a little if you touch near the edge of the rim. Just trying to figure things out for myself is all.

Jeff Rich
01-04-2004, 8:43 AM
The first bowl is some curly maple cut offs I found for a decent price.
The foot is about 2 3/4" and the rim is about 7".
It is pretty stable, I think. Hopefully, LOL.
It has no finish on it at the moment.
The mulberry was an old scrap quarter of a log that I decided would best be used as a natural edge bowl, it is nearly football shaped now....

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-04-2004, 9:17 AM
Great Bowls Jeff! The Maple is really cool...........neat shape, and well done. The Canarywood looks to have some beautiful coloration........I have some Canarywood I will be using for Pen Blanks, and the color in it is spectacular. The Mulberry bowl has that great "Natural" look to it, and it is neat to see the wet turnings "morph" into shape when they dry. When it finishes moving, please shoot another pic of it.......I would like to see the before and after of the bowl. NICE stuff Jeff........thanks for posting the pic's for all to share! ;)