PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on hollowing rig

Matt Haus
05-14-2007, 2:37 PM
I have started to hollow with a sorby hollowmaster and a swanneck hollowmaster. I have read here and there that there are other systems available and probably easier and more efficient. I would like to know from you guys which system has worked best for you and why. I have read about the monster and the pencil system. Any others? I am sure that there are threads out there I can do a search for but want to know what you think about yours. I have a 3520b if you are wondering what lathe for one of the larger setups.

Your reply is much appreciated.

Matt

Jim Becker
05-14-2007, 2:43 PM
Captive hollowing systems make the work a lot more pleasurable as they remove the forces that holding the tools manually create...and those forces can be substantial when deep hollowing...and let you concentrate on the art.

I happen to use the Jamison system (although I now use Trent Bosch's bars/cutters) and have really enjoyed having it available. I have enough natural pain in my hands and arms that unless the piece I'm working is really tiny, I won't do it without the captive system.

Your PM3520 will handle just about any of the hollowing systems with no problems. I started using my Jamison system on the OneWay 1018 I owned previously and use the same setup on my Stubby 750...outside of a hight modification to the shop-built rear support to account for the additional swing of the larger lathe.

Mark Pruitt
05-14-2007, 3:07 PM
PM 3520B here, with the Monster tool you mentioned. I've only had it for a couple of weeks but I instantly knew I had bought the "right" one for me. Many of the others are fine as well, but a few things swayed my thinking in favor of the Monster. One is the reputation of the maker (Randy Privett); he is known as solid, reliable, dependable. Two, the system includes a very good set of various cutting & scraping attachments as well as both straight and swan-neck bars. With some of the other systems, by the time you add up all of that, the Monster is really no more expensive.

Good luck in finding what's right for you.

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2007, 9:54 PM
I agree with Mark. I have the Monster system and it is about as complete as you can get. I have made 4 HF's since I have gotten mine and couldn't agree more it was the right tool for me. Good luck.

Joe Tonich
05-17-2007, 11:14 PM
You can make your own from Lyle Jamiesons site.....

http://www.lylejamieson.com/tools/tool_howto.asp

Thats what I did. Check it out.

Bill Wyko
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I just recieved my Kieth Clark system a couple days ago. I won't be able to use it for a couple weeks but it's one solid piece of machinery. The one thing I really like is that it comes with a pistol grip and that the main shaft is 1-1/4" steel rod and comes with everything you need. No upgrades from here. Keith is a very nice guy to deal with too. Here's a pic for you.