PDA

View Full Version : stripped threads in Jet mini tailstock

Patrick Taylor
05-14-2007, 11:29 AM
The threads on my Jet mini tailstock locking screw stripped! WMH is sending me the new part (and a replacement switch since I had to reassemble the current one) but the nut is backordered 6 weeks! Hopefully the current nut is not damaged and will do ok on the new bolt. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ellen Benkin
05-14-2007, 1:01 PM
The community college where I've taken turning classes uses the Jet and there have been no problems of the kind you report on the tailstock. The switches sometimes need repair or cleaning, though. This is after dozens of people have beaten on the lathes, too.

David Little
05-14-2007, 5:43 PM
Patrick, I had the same thing happen to my Jet mini about six weeks ago. I posted a message here on the forum and got several good suggestions. What I ended up doing was taking my stripped Jet bolt to a local machine shop. They cut off the treaded part, bored and threaded a hole in the bottom of the bolt and then treaded in a new threaded piece made of harder steel which should not strip. It sounds more complicated than it was. They charged me $10.

Also, in response to a suggestion from another Creeker, I ordered a replacement nut for the bottom from Fred in NC (a Creeker) who has a web site www.turningstuff.com (http://www.turningstuff.com). The new piece is rectangular rather than round and is treaded, so it replaces both the nut and the round clamping piece. It holds the tailstock in place much, much better than the original Jet piece. The cost at the time I ordered it was $14 plus $3 for shipping. I ordered two, one for the tailstock and one for the banjo that uses the same size nut at the bottom. I finally did receive the replacement bolt from Jet, but I have not installed it because I am so pleased with the other setup.

If you want more detail you can do a search here on the forum for jet mini tailstock problems, or pm me. Good luck.

Patrick Taylor
05-14-2007, 6:27 PM
I PM'd Jim from the other thread to see if he made any of the t-slot nuts. If not, I'll try Fred in NC. Thanks for the tip. It sounds like it must be a bad batch, because I think we got ours both around the beginning of the year.
You may have saved me from stripping the new one!