PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Good Morning Everyone
It's 14 May 2007 and the weather is nice here with the air being a little drier which makes it feel better outside.

No real time in the shop so to speak as of this past Friday. Not that I didn't want to, but I think you already know. :)

I've been reading up about various types of joinery, glues, finishes, and such to help improve my knowledge that I hope will translate into improving my skills. I'm still working on the oval kitchen table and hope to make some progress on the table this week.
The customer that had be build the dresser still hasn't came to pick it up. I've even offered to deliver it so I can get it out of my shop, but still haven't heard back from them. Oh well....I'll keep trying.

I did play bass yesterday at church and had a great time. Most of the music was up-tempo and I always do my best to be a jammin' bass player BUT..very tasteful in how and when I play "what". :D

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Tom Henry
05-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I spent some of my day restoring an old vise that I picked up on the bay.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57832

On top of that I had my wifes B-day on Sat. and Mother's day... I am a poor man...:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Saturday......Did all the yardwork that the day job prevented me from doing the previous weekend.

Sunday......Fixed breakfast in bed for Sharon.....went to a movie she wanted to see....a Larry the Cableguy movie "Delta Farce" and took her out to dinner.......

No woodworking this weekend but then again....no day job working either!:D

Al Willits
05-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Sat morning was spent with a buddy I hadn't seen in probably 5 or 6 years.

Beasty wanted me to "help" in the garden and little did I know what I was getting into.....one beat puppy here...:)
Saturday afternoon was off to HD where we got only a few of the things she was looking for, but we did get asked if we needed help to the point of almost being annoying, then off to Menard's where we found most of what she wanted but couldn't get a salesperson to come with in 50' of us so it took three times as long to find everything...

Rest of sat was spent digging up a section of grass to put all the veggies I suggested she grow...I did the digging, she did the suggesting here..:)
I also got to start to build her a trellis, so she could plant some kind of flower.
That required I do a bit of cleaning so I could at least find the torison table to start putting the trellis together.

Sunday was off with beasty to another garden center, then a late breakfast/early lunch, and more gardening between coats of water proofing for the trellis.

Finally got to get back to the storage cabinet and the doors I'm trying to build, and got the rails routered and just started on the stiles when the weekend finally got to me and I called it a day, BBQ'd some chicken and took it easy after that.

Almost glad to get back to work so I can recover...:D

Al.....hope ya all had a good weekend

Tyler Howell
05-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey Dennis,
Played with my new toyl.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=584872&posted=1#post584872 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=584872&posted=1#post584872)
Met some of my new neighbors on less than ideal circumstances.
Went to the forest fire information meetings in town. We have some serious cookers burning near my new place.:(
Bent some pipe installing the plumbing for the power upgrades in the shop.

Jim Becker
05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Shop time on Saturday working on the cherry vanities (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56649) and a nice "Mother's Day" dinner that evening at the local brew-pub. (no point in trying to deal with the crowds and waits on Sunday for that kind of holiday dinner...) Sunday morning I had a visit from Fred Voorhees (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57914) followed by quite a few hours of landscaping work before I got back in the shop to work on the vanities. Pretty much a productive weekend!

Greg Cole
05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Was a FANTASTIC weekend here in the middle of the mid west, great weather for building away on the deck project. LOML was 1500 miles away visiting her mother, so I was "batching" it with the boy... which means a few of his neighborhood friends are always under foot as well.
I broke out the summer stuff for them to play with and that gave me time to play with my toyls with out being Daddy Daycare every 2 minutes....
Still a few more thing on the to do list with the deck... but the building is soon to be on the done list. The lower level in the pics is soon to be a crushed & flagstone patio (this weekend is looking to be filled with HEAVY lifting). :cool:

Karl Laustrup
05-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Howdy Dennis.

Saturday was mostly outside stuff. I got some more sod [about 1-1/2 pallets] and now I don't have anymore spots of brown. Of course it's been so dry that I have to water all the new sod at least once a day. I did mow Saturday also and that pretty much used up the day.

Sunday was up early and make buttermilk pancakes and sausages for my mom [her favorite] and LOML. Left them alone while they watched 2 or 3 movies and I watched the race. Then made them steak and baked potato for dinner. A good day overall.

Y'all have a good week.

Karl

Mark Engel
05-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Finally got the second base cabinet finished for the dining room last week. Got it installed over the weekend. Started on a cutting board/knife drawer for my niece. She is getting married in 2 weeks. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

Belinda Barfield
05-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Tyler,

Sorry to hear things have gotten hot in your area as well. I was aware of your fires, but haven't followed them closely. I will keep you and your neighbors in my thoughts.

As for my weekend, spent it volunteering at the Command Post for the SE Georgia wildfires. Not much time for anything else.

Y'all stay safe out there!

Glenn Clabo
05-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Well...this is not our accomplishment but we do feel proud about it.
Nine years ago we took in a "troubled" young lady just as she was about to enter High School. We quickly found that her troubled passed was based on adult abuse and neglect. Dr.LOML took her under her wing (trying hard to egore the multi-colored hair) and pointed her toward education as a way out. Even though all the odds were against her...Sunday she graduated from university...and has been accepted into the graduate program for juvenile law.

GRADUATION 2008 - Nicole Ferreira celebrates Sunday after receiving her degree from Salve Regina University President Sister M. Therese Antone. (T.J. Kirkpatrick/Daily News staff)

Greg Peterson
05-14-2007, 1:03 PM
Mostly finished the rough in framing in the garage. Two car garage being separated into laundry room and shop. 3/4 of space will be shop. Run some romex for the outlets, hang the insulation and sheet rock and we got ourselves separation!

Even though it's just studs out there right now, I've definitely moved beyond Les Nessmen status.

http://www.shipbrook.com/karen/blog/images/lesnessman.jpg
http://www.answers.com/topic/wkrp-les-and-johnny-jpg

Adam Howard
05-14-2007, 1:06 PM
Made Workbench (using my new Festool Domino!)

http://fineamericancraft.com/images/domino-9.JPG

Jude Kingery
05-14-2007, 2:23 PM
We built fence all weekend; now will be able to get back to the fun stuff like wood turning and flying kites! Congratulations, Nicole on graduation! Glenn sounds like you and Dr. LOML did wonderful by her. Way to go! Jude

Belinda Barfield
05-14-2007, 2:37 PM
Way to go Nicole!! Congrats to you and Dr. LOYL as well on a job well done!

Nancy Laird
05-14-2007, 3:08 PM
May I add my contratulations to Glenn and LOYL on Nicole's graduation. What an accomplishment!!

Saturday was a veggie day - LOML and I did very little except rest, sleep, and play on the computers--did I say rest and sleep? I did manage to get to the lathe and finished a couple of bottle stoppers that had been bugging me.

Sunday LOML and I took our "adopted" mother (hubby's aunt) for a nice dinner at our favorite restaurant and for a ride in the hills. Had a nice day, and hubby bought me a new rug, flowers, and dinner.

Coming weekend, more shop time!!

Nancy

Dan Gill
05-14-2007, 3:10 PM
Spent the whole day Saturday with the framing project I was doing through my church. Sunday I went out to cut the bottom grooves for the drawers I'm building . . . and discovered I had flipped the stock wrong when doing the dovetails. There is not a front or back that I can use. I can cut the large drawers down into small fronts and backs, then dovetail all over again, but for the large drawers I have to start with re-sawing the wood again.

Doh!