PDA

View Full Version : "Snowflake" Birch

George Tokarev
05-14-2007, 9:06 AM
Between the honeydews and the spring gotta-dos this weekend I did get one turning done and on the way to finishing. With the sticky weather today I have until later to figure out if I'm going full bright or simple lustre for a finish. No sense putting any more wipe-on to him today. Sealed with two thin coats, toothed for possible final surface coat.

I like the wood and the shape a lot. As long as it's raining or threatening, I'll cut another salad bowl or two. Lady who asked for one bought three.

Jim Becker
05-14-2007, 9:19 AM
That's a very unique looking material, George. The form is nice as it highlights the material in a great way.

Steve Schlumpf
05-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Beautiful bowl George! I like the form and love the wood! Is that the natural color? Haven't found anything that dark around my area yet.

Joseph Peacock
05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
That's one niiiiiiiice lookin bowl Mr.George!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

George Tokarev
05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Steve, it's that flaky-barked "cherry birch" with the darker red color. You won't get a lot of darkening without an oil-based finish. I like the snowflake spalting in this one, and the flame, which shows poorly, is icing on the cake.

Tea in hand, back to the batcave. If I think of it, I'll pop a picture of a more traditional spalt on some beech.

Glenn Hodges
05-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Lovely indeed George, thanks for letting me see it.

Jonathon Spafford
05-15-2007, 1:58 AM
Cool wood! I really like the rim detail... a little different shape! Great job on this piece!

George Van
05-15-2007, 8:42 AM
I too like the shape! The small shadow line at the rim makes it in my opinion. The flakey spalting is indeed interesting. Rain mostly missed us, you guys in the UP must do a better dance!

George Tokarev
05-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Yep, we got rain, which will douse the fires. I got my new rain-saver in place prior, and it looks like I'll have a good reservior for watering the garden, rather than just a couple of rain barrels. 240 gallon capacity!

That's from a rolled log, if you care to try it. Early intervention.

TYLER WOOD
05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
NICE!!! Almost looks like lepard wood, or lace wood with the color and the lighter patches, But too random size and locations. Nice form and finish!!! Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Mighty fine bowl there George. Love the wood. Nice job.