PDA

View Full Version : One more question on HF

Wally Wenzel
05-13-2007, 10:06 PM
One more question, do you turn your hf with the grain parallel or cross grain to the ways, or do you do them either way? Wally

Jim Becker
05-13-2007, 10:58 PM
They "can" be turned either way, but hollowing tools tend to work more comfortably on end-grain (grain parallel to the ways) than on cross grain. But the bottom line is the material, itself...orient it so that it will provide the best end result.

That said, I very rarely will try to do a hollowform that is cross-grain...I prefer end-grain orientation for the look, too, in this format.

Mark Cothren
05-14-2007, 10:28 AM
My experience has shown they will work any way you want to mount/turn them. Don't get stuck doing them only one way - experiment with variety.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2007, 10:34 AM
If my memory serves me well and my eyes too.....when you get into some of the burls and crotches....you'll be cutting both cross grain and end grain.....:confused:

Dennis Peacock
05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Turn them any way you can mount them. People have had some very outstanding results by playing with the orientation of the raw blanks and hollowing. :D

Frank Kobilsek
05-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Wally

As has been said either way works. My guide is form. Short, fat, flat top will benefit from 'bowl' grain while tall and slim look better 'spindle' grain.

Jim is right though, easier cutting into the end grain, ie 'Spindle'.

Try it. Start small. 3 to 5" tall. Starting big can be frustrating. Keep your tool at centerline hieght and have fun.

Frank

Mark Pruitt
05-14-2007, 1:18 PM
Can't add much to what has been said, except to say that someone (I regret that I don't remember who!) not too long ago posted a HF which was turned at an "angle", i.e. not purely endgrain and not purely facework either. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

So yes, by all means, experiment!