PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 Ties Cross Completed - Photo

joseph j shields
05-13-2007, 5:54 PM
This was a neat project...

Our son goes to an all boys high school and each kid donated a tie. About 6 mothers stitched them together (about 1,000 ties!) to create a cross.(See pic below)

This was a real family project!
My wife helped organize the project & helped sew all the ties together.
My son made the center medallion. (He scroll sawed the pieces out of walnut... the back piece is maple veneered plywood. He mounted the pieces about 3/4" above the medallion with small dowels... this creates some really nice shadows!)
I built the structure to attach the tie cross. (I used 3/4" Baltic birch plywood cut into 3" strips and used pocket-holes to screw it all together. Velcro was used to attach the ties to the frame. I used bed frame rail connectors to attach the arms to the main body)To give a sense of the size of the cross.... it is 17 feet tall and about 12 feet wide :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

You have to zoom into the photo to appreciate the sewing job... 1,000 ties!

Enjoy!

-jj

ps AMDG is Latin for "For the grater glory of God"

Burt Waddell
05-13-2007, 9:36 PM
JJ

That is something else. The colors are beautiful!!

Burt

Mario Lucchesi
05-14-2007, 7:59 AM
That is really amazing. And cold not be for a better cause. How long did it take to make the whole thing?

Roy Wall
05-14-2007, 8:26 AM
That is beautiful......nice work to your son and all the moms!

Byron Trantham
05-14-2007, 8:46 AM
Now that's a tie!!!:eek: Great family project.

Dan Gill
05-14-2007, 9:20 AM
I can't think of a better use for ties. Certainly better than hanging one around my neck!

Very unique.

joseph j shields
05-14-2007, 10:53 PM
That is really amazing. And cold not be for a better cause. How long did it take to make the whole thing?

There were about 6 mothers who spent about 3 months working on the project. Each week they would work 2-3 days (each day about 6 hours)

So that roughly works out to be about 1,000 hours (1 hour per tie:D)

Note: they spent a lot of time sorting, arranging, cutting... before they could even begin sewing.

-jj