PDA

View Full Version : Veritas® Flat and Round Spokeshaves are here

Glenn Clabo
01-03-2004, 4:47 PM
Right to it...these are VERY comfortable Spokeshaves! This is something that a picture or catalog words can’t clearly describe. They seem to just settle into my hand right out of the box. Santa (aka TLOML)...who was sitting beside me when I opened the boxes said "Now that's a pretty tool!"

The blade is thick, 1/8 inch and 2 1/8 inch wide which makes it feel solid in use. No chatter at all on first swipe which I couldn't resist even before I cleaned it up. However, only time will tell when it comes to making and keeping an edge. I don't doubt LV when it comes to quality of material though. It just needs a little shine (anal sharpener) of the 35 deg factory micro edge off the 30 deg primary...which btw isn't mentioned in the catalog but is a nice (and I'm sure a little more expensive than the usual single edge) touch.

Adjustment by thumbscrews is smooth...and an interesting addition. It only took me a minute to figure out how to hold it so I can make fine adjustments. I'm sure everyone will find a comfort zone. There is a little side to side float (?) of the blade as you move it up and down. I don't know if centering is absolutely required...but it's not hard to get it. There is very little slop (edited...bad word...play maybe better) between the blade slot and the adjustment thumbwheels...but if you are doing fine work you need to remember to set blade depth on the down side of adjustment. Skewing the blade will aid in use in grainy wood and make up for a slight miss while sharpening...which of course nobody would do here.

Bottom line...There is something very special about the feel of wood in your hands when you are working wood. The rosewood is not only pretty...it just feels good. I continue to be impressed with LV tools. I'm already very happy with this LV purchase...it's a hundred bucks well spent. Now I really need to make something that can stow and still show off these fine LV tools.

Mark Singer
01-03-2004, 4:58 PM
Glenn,
I don't get it...I ordered mine first! I was the first one! Rob confirmed it!....I want my shaves!....I want my shaves.... I want my shaves
Mark

Glenn Clabo
01-03-2004, 5:41 PM
I have an advantage...I'm married to a Canadian.

Mark...I think you'll find they are worth the wait. Mr. Lee and CO done good.

Eric Hedberg
01-03-2004, 7:35 PM
Mark, I agree it's not fair! Lucky for me though Minnesota is closer to LV distribution than California. I'll let you know how mine turned out .
Eric ;)

Mark Singer
01-03-2004, 7:40 PM
Eric,
Sounds like you don't have them yet....Let see who gets them first!
Mark

Rob Lee
01-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Mark, I agree it's not fair! Lucky for me though Minnesota is closer to LV distribution than California. I'll let you know how mine turned out .
Eric ;)

Ahh...but Eric, we haven't received your snail-mail yet....but I'm watching for it!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
01-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Eric,
Sounds like you don't have them yet....Let see who gets them first!
Mark

Mark -

Yours shipped on the 30th...UPS has delivery estimated as the 8th...

Cheers -

Rob

Mark Singer
01-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Rob,
I will just use my Gillette until then....smooth shaving
Mark

Eric Hedberg
01-05-2004, 6:57 PM
Means postal gods conspire against me. Now wes must sit and endure the exultations and gloats of others. Must have my precious....We knows they are hiding it...We wills get it......precious......

Eric (In need of some serious shop therapy);)

Ahh...but Eric, we haven't received your snail-mail yet....but I'm watching for it!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
01-08-2004, 4:53 PM
Rob,
I will just use my Gillette until then....smooth shaving
Mark

You can put away the Gillette - they're delivered!

Cheers -

Rob

Mark Singer
01-08-2004, 8:34 PM
Rob, You know everything! Pony Express hitched up today and I got the two beautiful shaves...I tried them only breifly and the seem great! I have really gotten to love the LV low angle the preceeded these so the question will be ....how do they compare. I guess I will need to make another chair or lamp....an the Gilette....maybe I'll shave ...Nah...had the beard to long.
Thanks Rob
Mark

Eric Hedberg
01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Mark,

Rob's dad claims (and proves) you can put an edge on a plane blade sharper than a razor edge. With the small radius on that new spokeshave of yours you might get a nice trim, especially around the curves. My shaves are on their way and will arrive soon. I've got a chair in the que and ready to go for my test drive. Have fun!!! Eric

Rob, You know everything! Pony Express hitched up today and I got the two beautiful shaves...I tried them only breifly and the seem great! I have really gotten to love the LV low angle the preceeded these so the question will be ....how do they compare. I guess I will need to make another chair or lamp....an the Gilette....maybe I'll shave ...Nah...had the beard to long.
Thanks Rob
Mark

Mark Singer
01-08-2004, 10:08 PM
so....I guess mine came first!
Love you guys!
want to see your chair!
Thanks
mark

Eric Hedberg
01-10-2004, 1:14 PM
They're here!

Got a knock on the door and there they were. I wasn't expecting them til Monday or Tuesday. Fit finish and quality first rate. Rob, your design and production team did a great job. All the historical complaint areas were addressed and the balance has the feel of my Millers Falls 2 (sentimental favorite). I too took a couple quick swipes. The flat shave was like a finely tuned block plane, amazing. Time to rearrange the tools.

Eric

Mark Singer
01-10-2004, 1:26 PM
Eric ,
Not that it matters, but I have had mine for 2 days! Their great ...enjoy and I want to see that chair.