Apple
6 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Mahoney`s and buffed

Maple
4 1/2" x 3"
Watco and buffed

Shane Whitlock
05-13-2007, 4:34 PM
Great bowls ... I like em both and really like the rim on the apple, nice job!

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2007, 7:58 PM
Wow Brian, two very nice pieces! Apple bowl has nice form and really pretty grain. Maple bowl has what appears to be some curl in it. Both very nice - look forward to seeing more of your work!

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2007, 8:00 PM
Wow those are two beauties. I really like the apple one. Nice job. Keep'em coming.

Jamie Donaldson
05-13-2007, 8:49 PM
... you selected the blue background, and now the bounce light has rendered your wood blue around the bottom. The best background colors for wood are neutral colors of white, light gray, or black for white/light colored woods like maple. Make the turning the center of attention, without distracting colors that compete for our attention.

Keith Burns
05-13-2007, 9:21 PM
For you first post "ya done good". Nice looking pieces for sure ! True the blue is not the best background, don't let it keep you from posting more. Keep them coming !!

Rich Chilcot
05-13-2007, 9:48 PM
Nice work. I really like the rim.

Brian Myers
05-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes, the blue background is not good. I prefer black also for a background.I want to find a light weight black matte fabric instead of the shiny nylon backgrounds that came with the photo tent.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Brian.....Very nice bowls! I especially like the apple one. Well done!

Tom Sherman
05-14-2007, 3:43 PM
very nice bowls Brian.

Frank Kobilsek
05-14-2007, 4:26 PM
Welcome and nice work.
Frank

Bill Wyko
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Very Nice pieces. I especially like the one on the right. The grain just pops. Great form, finish and choice of wood. Great work.

Matt Haus
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
very nice bowl. If I may offer one suggestion, lower your aperature to make the background blurry? Do you have a manual override on your camera? If you do, then lower the aperature until only the bowl is in focus. As the numbers go lower, the depth of field gets less and it will blur the background. It helps with the wrinkles and such.

Good job on the bowl!

Kim Ford
05-15-2007, 1:15 PM
Brian; Nice job on both. Keep'em comming.

Welcome to the 'Creek'

Brian Myers
05-15-2007, 1:33 PM
very nice bowl. If I may offer one suggestion, lower your aperature to make the background blurry? Do you have a manual override on your camera? If you do, then lower the aperature until only the bowl is in focus. As the numbers go lower, the depth of field gets less and it will blur the background. It helps with the wrinkles and such.

Good job on the bowl!

Matt,
I don`t have manual override on my camera, but it does have other program settings and will play around with them next time. The camera is an older(old) Sony Mavica MVD-FD75. So old that it uses a 3.5" floppy instead of memory sticks.:eek:

Brian Myers
05-15-2007, 1:35 PM
I would like to say thanks for all the compliments everyone. The criticisms have been very welcome also. Keep `em coming.

Jonathon Spafford
05-16-2007, 2:11 AM
Don't know how I missed these! Beautiful work! Both bowls look excellent to me! I love that maple one especially. It has a nice shape and the curl and brown streak really add character! Both have nice finishes! Awesome job!

Oh, and keep the pix coming! I love seeing new work!