PDA

View Full Version : Gloat or Goat?

Dennis Reardon
05-13-2007, 4:09 PM
A few days ago I dropped in to see what happened on this area of the mill. Whoa! I ended up spending nearly three hours inspecting all the cool old iron folks here have rebuilt / refinished. Then this morning, with those cool images still on my brain,on the way back from the store, Mother's day card in hand, (what me procrastinate!). I saw an estate sale today sign and though I was a little behind schedule I stopped anyway.

To make a long story longer I dropped a tenspot and came home with these.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000645.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000646.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/P1010029.jpg

So fill me in folks was I struck by divine inspiration or just foolish impulse?

Dennis

Ryan Cathey
05-13-2007, 4:37 PM
Ok, the big plane is a type 17 Stanley number 5. Type 17's are valued by many as user planes but most people don't like big chunks missing out of them lol. The less dirty small plane looks to be the Sargent equivilent of a Stanley number 9 1/2, Sargent sold quality planes so good deal! The more dirty small plane might be a Stanley 18. I'm not sure on the brace but it looks to be a more cheap brand, indicated by the ratchet mechanism which isn't enclosed and the auger bits are always nice to find escpecially in a roll like that. So, for ten bucks all that is a steal!!!

Ryan Cathey
05-13-2007, 4:39 PM
On second thought, the lever cap on the big plane looks to have nickel on it so it's more likely a type 18.

Adriaan Schepel
05-13-2007, 5:40 PM
Ryan,

I can't see the back of that grotty little plane closely, but it looks more like a 65 to me than an 18 (I could swear it has the low angle adjustment mech).

If so, all you need is a new front knob (and the screw in the middle of the levercap?) and you're in business. They're a great plane and usually sell for a good deal more than that!

Cheers,
Adriaan

Mike Cutler
05-13-2007, 6:31 PM
Ten bucks for the "raw" materials to learn to rehab old iron is a deal. The lessons you learn will be worth way more than 10 bucks.

George Sanders
05-13-2007, 7:43 PM
Must be a good weekend for rust hunts. Ya done good, see ya further down "the slope".

Ryan Cathey
05-13-2007, 9:23 PM
Hey, I think I got everything else right so I'm fine with being wrong on that lol.:D

Dennis Reardon
05-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks. It appears that at the very least I got my moneys worth. At the most I will spend five times their purchase price to rejuvinate them. I'm betting the big Stanely will be a great learning experience. This afternoon I went to my local library in hopes of finding some sort of DIY guide to repair these ol girls but came up empty. Does anyone here know of a good website I could use as a reference?

BTW here is a pic of that may help identify the groty one better

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000647.jpg

At any rate I guess you know what I'll be doing my first free evening, (thursday) I am quite interested in seeing what they will look like naked!

Dennis

Clint Jones
05-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Dennis, The big plane No.6 Stanley looks like it isnt repairable unless you are a heck of a welder and have a lot of time and patience. There is a giant chunk missing from the front. I suggest parting it out and cleaning all the good useable parts. Refinish the handles and such. The adjustable block plane looks good to use and the stanley LA block plane is missing parts and shot. This is a good place to learn to restore planes http://www.rexmill.com/

Terry Bigelow
05-15-2007, 6:26 AM
I would agree with Clint. Due to the giant chunk missing I would disassemble her and clean all the parts and save them. Dennis, you'll need them as you are now destined to slip even further! It's all down hill from here!!! You could use the base to figure out the method that works best for you to restore or, as Clint said maybe you're a heck of a welder and can work some magic! The truth is you did get quite a deal on the three, but you can find a #6 in better shape for just a little more that might ONLY need to be cleaned. Enjoy.

John Schreiber
05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
As a user, is there really a big problem with the chunk taken out of the front of the #6? Couldn't you just file it smooth and live with it?

Jim Becker
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
As a user, is there really a big problem with the chunk taken out of the front of the #6? Couldn't you just file it smooth and live with it?

That was my thought...while it's a sizable chunk, if the edges are rounded off, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for working on flat surfaces for a basic "user". But, of course, I don't know a lot about these things and it could be worth more for parts...which could fund another plane that doesn't have a bite out of it!

Ryan Cathey
05-15-2007, 5:04 PM
It appears (according to the blade) that the plane I said was a sargent is actually a Craftsman but was most likely made by Sargent for Craftsman.

Clint Jones
05-15-2007, 5:16 PM
That was my thought...while it's a sizable chunk, if the edges are rounded off, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for working on flat surfaces for a basic "user". But, of course, I don't know a lot about these things and it could be worth more for parts...which could fund another plane that doesn't have a bite out of it!
Well you could always cut the front of the plane straight off even with the chip and file the side rails and front of the plane to the correct shape. Then remove a couple of inches off the back and file to shape. This would make a 5 1/2 sized plane.

Jim DeLaney
05-15-2007, 5:32 PM
The grody looking little one that others have written off looks to me like a Stanley 'knuckle-joint' #65, which, IMO, is one of the best and most desirable low-angle block planes Stanley ever made. It appears to only be missing the knob.

It looks like a good candidate for some electrolysis, and some followup TLC. Once it's cleaned up, put a Hock or L-N blade in it and you'll have a real jewel of a little plane.

Matt Chantry
05-15-2007, 7:35 PM
Dennis,

In my opinion, you are already in one of the best resources available for info on how to restore old tools. This forum holds more info than an average library ever could. Just punch up Smalser in a forum search, and you should have an evenings worth of reading right there - (not intending to slight any other contributors).

Matt

Dan Forman
05-16-2007, 3:08 AM
Dennis,

Not to worry about the chunk out of the #6, if there are any rough edges just smooth them wih a file or sandpaper so that they won't mark whatever you are using it on. The missing chunk won't make a bit of difference in use. I have a #5 that arrived in similar condition from Ebay, and it works just fine. The critical areas as far as performance are the mouth and shoulders, that's where the stress is carried. A crack there would not be good, but no problem with a distressed toe.

Dan

Andrew Williams
05-16-2007, 7:52 AM
I'm with Dan on this. I think that missing chuck will not affect the plane's performance at all as long as it is smooth and leaves no scratch track.

Dennis,

Not to worry about the chunk out of the #6, if there are any rough edges just smooth them wih a file or sandpaper so that they won't mark whatever you are using it on. The missing chunk won't make a bit of difference in use. I have a #5 that arrived in similar condition from Ebay, and it works just fine. The critical areas as far as performance are the mouth and shoulders, that's where the stress is carried. A crack there would not be good, but no problem with a distressed toe.

Dan