PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on this BS please Jet 18"

Craig D Peltier
05-13-2007, 2:30 PM
HP: 1 1/2 18" Bandsaw
Model:Jet JWBS-18
Year: 1998
Blades: 3 new plus the blade installed is very near new.
Wheels: Supposedly in excellent to mint shape
Fence: It is original Jet equipment.

$700 the person is asking. I think new its $1200 this one is 9 years old.I feel its a bit overpriced after the age on motor and asking 60% of new.What do you think?

I have read reviews about this saw, they say its a great saw.Two drawbacks are the 1.5hp taiwanese motor and the lower guides are very difficult to move for blade change or adjust.

Thanks

Mike Cutler
05-13-2007, 3:10 PM
Craig.
One of the limitations with the Jet 18" was the resaw height. I believe it was 10".
When Rikon came out with a competitively priced unit( 10-340) it had 12" of resaw. Jet had an 18" bandsaw with 12" of resaw on the market in short order, and the 18" model with 10" of resaw was steeply discounted, and blown out.
Personally I think $700.00 is a bit much also. For a couple $100.00 more you can have a new bandsaw with a warranty. $500.00 may be closer if the machine is as clean as you imply.
The blades could be a deal tipper though. Blades for the 18" bandsaw aren't cheap, especially in resaw configurations. Find out what blades are included. That may sway you one way or the other.

Mike

Jim Becker
05-13-2007, 7:33 PM
This older version of the machine isn't nearly the tool that the current version is. I agree that $700 is a bit steep for something of that vintage, although Mike is correct that the blades do add value.

Be sure the reviews you are looking at are for this version; not the current one.

Roy McQuay
05-13-2007, 8:48 PM
I have the same bandsaw but mine was purchased new in 2003. Mine also has a 10" resaw max. I personally don't need more height than that. I bought mine for cutting curves and laminated bends and am very happy with the saw. I have not had problems with the ball bearing guides and blade changes are pretty quick and easy. I also think $700 for a 9 year old saw is a bit high.

Craig D Peltier
05-13-2007, 8:51 PM
Thanks all, the guy responded to all my questions the first time but when I came back and asked if it was its original motor he didnt answer. So I think I will just wait for another deal to come up.Or maybe offer him 400.:D
Grizs tent sale is soon on the W coast.